LIS 7/22/2019 Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: LIS 7/22/2019 Diary

Postby JulsPain » 02 Oct 2019, 00:06

Hi Jis76. I think we had the surgery around the same time and I’m honestly in the same position as you :( not feeling healed at all and still having pain despite having perfect BM’s almost every day and taking stool softener.

I never really had spasms so I can’t speak on that but the itching and bleeding tell me I’m not healed.

When I saw my CRS a few weeks ago she said my fissure looked “better” but not healed. I don’t understand how something the “size of a pen tip” can look “better”, at that point it’s either there or it should be healed.

Back to spending $80 on these compound creams. Can’t believe after spending so much $ on surgery I’m still in pain.
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby jis76 » 10 Oct 2019, 13:07

Hi Juls... The pain I described in the last couple posts has subsided. I've had 0 pain for about 1.5 weeks. It's almost like a miracle. I still haven't seen the surgeon, but now I feel a bit safer seeing him as there doesn't seem to be any irritation at the moment. I think it takes all of us different amount of times to heal... I know you think this tiny little cut, but I guess the blood flood down there isn't great, combined with passing stool every day makes it extra difficult to heal. I do worry one of these days the pain will come back.

On the diet front, I have greatly increased my protien intake, but along with that a lot more natural foods (vegetables and fruits, etc). I am eating a mostly natural diet at the moment, and highly limiting my 'packaged' foods. At first I was worried about having some massive poops because of the protiens, but turns out it's no different than before. Still taking fiber supplements for bulk, still on miralax (but don't think I need it as much), and still getting plenty of fiber per day. I think I average about 35g a day. I also eat nuts and seeds daily, and haven't had any problems with that.

I am cautiously optimistic that I won't have any setbacks....
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby jis76 » 22 Nov 2019, 13:55

Roughly 4 months post-op update:

All is well. My quality of life is so much better. Only regret is not having done this sooner.

Only real update, I've switched fiber supplements to more psyllium husk (metamucil) vs wheat dextrin (benefiber). I usually do one scope of each, but more often I will just do two metamucil now. This seems to get me the correct bulk I need so that I don't start tightening up. My biggest fear is still things tightening back up and then fissures coming again.

For anyone following... I'm still on Miralax and still need to have the discussion with surgeon on whether to stay on or gently wean.

Water intake is high, but not the 128 oz I was doing before. 64 oz seems enough these days. As far as diet, biggest change is I'm able to tolerate higher protien intakes again. I eat plenty of veggies and other fiberous foods, but a lot less grain based stuff at the moment. No ill effects, and in fact overall I feel quite a bit healthier. I do eat a fair amount of nuts and seeds (cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower, etc) and have no issue with these now. They do not always get fully digested but things seem to work just fine. I will continue to supplement with fiber as I can't see any good reason to not to (I don't have any side effects from the fiber).

I still take baths on occasion. I still use a bidet and think it's an important tool in my recovery. I am less regular that the every morning thing. This is great, as I don't feel like I need to use the bathroom before I head out the door and things come a bit more natural. I still use a squatty potty when available, but not sure it makes much a difference.

Do I consider myself healed...almost. I would say 1 year no relapse and I think I'm good, but at this point I am feeling very good about that being the case.
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 12 Feb 2020, 20:49

6+ month post-op quick update:

All is still good. No pain, no issues, BMs are regular. Wish I had done this years ago. I can't remember the last time I had gone 6+ months without any fissure issues. No regrets at all having the surgery, except that I should have done it sooner.

I am still on a high protien diet, but eat plenty of veggies and other fibrous foods, and take my psylium husk daily. I am still on Miralax, and don't see any reason to get off of it.

I will re-iterate, post surgery, psyllium husk vs wheat dextrin.... psyllium wins because it creates my needed bulk. I don't want to get back to small poops which I think caused some of these issues in the first place.
jis76
Salt Bather