LIS in the AM

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS in the AM

Postby dgater » 12 Sep 2010, 13:55

I came upon his site after a Google search and am glad I did.It would seem that each person living with this curse handles it different and has different levels of pain/discomfort.I am going in for LIS/ tag removal at 5AM(hope Dr has had coffee).One thing that has been bothering me is my Dr's attitude.She states that I will only need 1 day to heal.I have my doubts.She also downplays my pain level which I would rate at an 8 or 9 on occasions.She would not prescribe any Lidocaine -type cream.Any thoughts as to the healing time and post op diet?
To all that suffer, I feel your pain.[b]
dgater
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS in the AM

Postby Guest » 12 Sep 2010, 14:14

Hey dgate,
I haven't had LIS yet but feel it's the only thing that's going to give me a shot at healing.
Is your doctor a colorectal surgeon? I would think if he/she is that they would know fissures are Very painful just from experience with patients who have them...
I am sorry that you are in pain and I can sympathize. I am having a lot of pain too.
Is your surgery in the morning? Please let us know how your recovery goes.
From what I've read on here, one day is not nearly enough time to be feeling better. Most have said it takes at least 2 weeks before feeling well enough to go back to work and six weeks to feel better at it's best. There's a lot of old threads on here that you can read and you can see it varies from person to person.
Hopefully some of the others will be on soon who have already had LIS and can give you the information you need.
Take care and let us know how it goes. :)

Postby StevePain » 12 Sep 2010, 14:17

Hi dgater,
I'm currently 5 and a half weeks post-op and am still having pain and discomfort, however, some of the other board members have felt better within a few weeks, everyone is different.
It's typical that your doc seems to think that the pain isn't that bad, most docs seem to think the same way - unfortunately, they ought to have fissures then they'd understand!
The post-op diet.. I assume you was already eating a high fibre diet with plenty of water? If not then you should be thinking about that change, also what stool softener are you using as they are essential.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 15:29

Hey dgater, I hope your surgery went well. Please update us when you are feeling better.

Post op and life begins anew

Postby dgater » 13 Sep 2010, 16:58

I am at home taking it easy.If I had known that the pressure,spasm relief would be so sudden I would have done this months ago.Dont get me wrong it is def the lesser of 2 evils but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel.I am not sure why I have seen people on here that have taken 2 weeks+ I feel for them.I have a very small bit of pain from incision(they took a biopsy of scar tissue)but SOOO much better.
I would encourage all to educate yourself on legitimate sites and not fall prey to some of the individual horror stories I saw.I am not doubting nor minimizing anyones personal experience but I go with the numbers.Botox Vs LIS VS homeopathic... I came to that decision that surg was right for me based on success %'s and complication #,s.That being said ,it is all about the DR. (I got a second opinion cause first doc said hemmies)I wasnt too impressed with her bedside manner but technically she was aces.You can gleen a lot about a DR and where they are in the pecking order if you can find the right nurse who will open up.Easier said than done but if you dont ask you wont know.
Finally,I wanted to say how impressed I was with the empathy I saw here.If ever there was a sensitive subject that needed a helpful ear and knowing that you are not alone,this is it.
I NEVER reply on boards but felt like just a few words.This whole debacle was awful and robbed me of some precious time but for the first time in almost a year,I feel like the old me is right around the corner.
To all of you bearing this terrible thing, I wish you well.Be glad we live in a country where there is are options available.
dgater
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 13 Sep 2010, 17:11

I am so happy your surgery went well!!
Just don't be surprised if you are feeling worse tomorrow. From what others have said the first day isn't too bad and kind of gives you a false impression. But I hope not!!
Are you taking pain meds?
I agree with the empathy and support on this forum. It is really nice to be able to talk to others who are going through this. I am not a person who goes on forums either but this situation had me searching for answers and I'm so glad I found this place.
Please keep us updated on your recovery. I have an appointment weds. to talk to my CRS about getting the surgery also.
I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Postby StevePain » 14 Sep 2010, 08:42

That's great dgater, did you get any pain meds? I only got antibiotics and Ibuprofen, I'm hoping you got something a little stronger, the first day is usually ok because of the anaesthetic, but from my own personal experience day 2 onwards was very very painful, but then again I had two procedures and each of us are different, be sure to take stool softeners regularly and plenty of water as the last thing you want is constipation.
Good luck, wishing you a speedy recovery
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Sep 2010, 10:58

Hey dgater, glad to hear that things went well :) I tried everything (nifedipine, nitroglycerin, diltiazem, Botox) before LIS and agree 100% that it's the best shot at a long term solution.
Be sure to continue taking it easy over the next few days and weeks! When I got out of surgery, I came back home, sat right on my butt right away and played video games for a few hours, then emailed my boss and told him the recovery was nothing and that I should be back in the office within 2-3 days. He (having had knee surgery in the past) replied and said "that's probably just the anesthesia talking" and he turned out to be right :) It sounds like you're probably one of the good cases who will recover quickly, but be sure to take care of yourself and don't be surprised if there are a few little ups and downs along the way. Cheers to your newly repaired rear end!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby dgater » 14 Sep 2010, 18:21

Once again,thank you all.Well, you are right about the 2nd day.Not bad cause I "kept ahead of the pain" with good old Vicodin.Oddly, my calves ache from the compression device.My throat hurts and neck,generally like a football team hit me but I would trade this any day for what I felt like before.I was a bit hesitant about the surg when I read about some of the poor souls who have bruising and awful complications weeks and months later.
You really do have slow down right after coming home. I was up cleaning and bending.NO NO...Thank yo all again and my best to you.God Bless
DG
dgater
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 14 Sep 2010, 20:51

Hey DG,
Glad to hear your doing well :D If you don't mind me asking, have you had the dreaded first bm yet? Are you taking stool softeners with the pain meds?

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here