LIS on 28 Jan 2011

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS on 28 Jan 2011

Postby Dave » 15 Feb 2011, 06:15

Hi all. I'm from South Africa (living close to Johannesburg) - suffered with an AF since June/July 2010, first went to a gastroenterologist in Sep 10 and he immediately scheduled a colonoscopy. Couldnt find a fissure and also no other serious problems. My problem persisted and he put me on pro-biotics for a few weeks - still no cure - then followed some anti-biotics for a possible infection and eventually in early Jan (after cancelling my December holiday) I couldnt take it anymore and requested to see a surgeon. Went to the surgeon few days later and he immediately diagnosed the fissure (only did a finger examination). Put me on nitroglycerin for 10 days - that didnt work - then scheduled surgery. Small op he said - most people take a week to recover!!! And I also checked with a friend of a friend in Cape Town who had the same op 7 years ago - he confirmed that he went back to work within a week and never looked back. So there I was - all hopeful that this will now be a thing of the past. Well its now been 2.5 weeks since surgery and I went back to the surgeon for 3 post-op visits already. Apparently Im one of the 2% - the fissure still hasnt healed - much smaller now according to the surgeon but not closed. He wants to see me every week until he's sattisfied that its healed. Im still in a lot of discomfort - the persistent dull pain that I always got before LIS even if there was no blood on the TP that morning, still persists. I have to take pain med twice a day (early morn and late afternoon). And even with the pain med, the dull pain returns. I also get that feeling of pressure down there (like when u need to go). Not a lot of blood on the tp - although it still happens. I keep the BM's soft by eating more fissure friendly stuff and combining it with at least 2 litres of water per day. I had my hopes up high and that is where I made the mistake - very down every now and then. The surgeon is a great guy - always gets me positive. But still - am I ever going to get rid of this damn thing. Anyone else who also experienced the dull pains and the pressure? Any ideas? Dave
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: LIS on 28 Jan 2011

Postby Savaici » 15 Feb 2011, 06:27

Hi there. Originally from Cape Town, in the States now. I am sure that many who have had this surgery will jump in, and I haven't had it so can't on that point. Lots of info here, however, on those who have had the surgery/time frame for reply etc. The only thing I have had is hemorrhoid surgery and I thought would not recover from this, each time, but with patience and time, things righted themselves. It's great that you have a good surgeon. Makes all the difference having someone you can talk to. Hope you'll get lots of good answers here. Sure you will!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby alpinestrawberry » 15 Feb 2011, 09:23

I haven't had the LIS yet, but have done extensive reading of other people's experiences with it....2.5 weeks is just not enough time to judge the outcome.
You will have to be patient, healing could take months or even up to a year. Don't jump into another surgery right away, because your body is going to need some time to heal.
You mention eating a good diet and drinking a lot of water, but are you taking a stool softener? It would be a really good idea to do so.
Good luck, hang in there!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 09:55

Hey there,
Even with LIS, a fissure takes 6 weeks to heal at best.
I've never heard of or read a fissure healing in 2.5 weeks, so if your surgeon is already seeing signs of it closing up, you are doing well and probably on your way to complete recovery. The key is keeping the bm's soft for months to come so that healing can continue while you regain strength back there.

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2011, 11:07

Dave,
after reading over your post again I just wanted to say that it is possible that you may be having some spasms still. I had spasms after my LIS and was gave valium which immediately put a stop to them. Some others on here just took the baths and they eventually stopped.
I was told it's not unusual and I did have a little more work down there with my LIS. They also removed a skin tag.
Do you think it would be possible to get some valium from your surgeon. I believe mine was 5mgs but i will check and get back with you if I'm wrong. Anyway- that was the lifesaver for me after my surgery.

Postby StevePain » 15 Feb 2011, 14:21

Hey dave, I'm 6 months post-op and still have pain and discomfort, sometimes I even have pressure just like before LIS.
You're only 2.5 weeks post-op, please give more time and be very strict with cleaning the area and diet, you may still experience spasms, most of us LIS'ers had the post-op spasms whilst the sphincter is trying to re-adjust, keep bathing up to 4 times a day to promote blood flow to the area which will help with the healing.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Dave » 16 Feb 2011, 09:06

Hi all, thanks for all the replies - I really appreciate it - nice to know that you're not alone and that others had similar experiences.
Alpine: stool softener - no I'm only using a pro-biotic called LP299v that my gastro-enterologist suggested I should take (few months ago). Normally my stools are soft (mainly because of the water consumption and general diet I suppose). I did use something (cant remember the name now? Novicol?) the second night after my op just to get things going but it gave me horrible cramps and diarrhee so I never used it again.
Dawn: thanks for the info on the valium - I'll ask my surgeon on Monday when I see him again.
Steve: I dont take the baths anymore - stopped about a week after surgery - prefer to shower. But if its going to help I can start again - just difficult daytime because some days (when I can) I try to go to the office - working on a per hour basis so I can do some work from home as well.
Had some bright red blood this morning on the tp again and it was really uncomfortable - but since then the day has not been that bad - less spasms. Suppose I just have to stay positive and take it a day at a time. Have a planned and paid for overseas holiday with another couple coming up on the 22nd of April - really stressed out about that.
I suppose the blood is nothing to worry about while I'm still in the recovery period? It just seems like a step back every time I see the blood....
Thanks again for all the encouragement - I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby alpinestrawberry » 16 Feb 2011, 10:34

Hey Dave, I'm guessing the 'Novical' might have been 'Movical' or Miralax, as it's called here in the US. I don't much like it either, but it's definitely effective. The thing about it is, if it gives you diarrhea, you can just keep adjusting the dose downwards until it softens your stools without giving you diarrhea.
But, if you feel like you already have soft enough stools, then maybe that's not the problem. Don't stress about the vacation, you still have over two whole months to heal ahead of you before you have to go! Just try to relax and give it some time!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Savaici » 16 Feb 2011, 12:41

I agree with what alpinestrawberry said about cutting the dose of a stool softener. You do want to keep everything going through without irritation. I take MOM and a very mild laxative, but also have to be careful not to overdo it and go the other way which causes me a lot of pain. Always the happy medium. Good luck with your recovery.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 16 Feb 2011, 19:15

savaici wrote:I agree with what alpinestrawberry said about cutting the dose of a stool softener. You do want to keep everything going through without irritation. I take MOM and a very mild laxative, but also have to be careful not to overdo it and go the other way which causes me a lot of pain. Always the happy medium. Good luck with your recovery.

So very true. Always the happy medium is best!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here