LIS One Day Away

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS One Day Away

Postby rasmith3530 » 28 Feb 2012, 22:17

Hey guys, thanks for the good wishes and sharing.
Surgery Day +1 Report:
I woke up with some soreness this morning, but it was not too severe, so I took a couple Ibuprofin and went to my day hospital program. During the day, the discomfort ebbed and flowed, but again, it was not serious enough to warrant the narcotic pain meds prescribed, and right now, that is fine.
On my instructions, it said not to shore for twenty-four hours, so I was quite glad to jump in tonight, although I do have to say that I was also just a bit anxious. I did have just a tiny sign of minor incontinance on the Tucks pad that I discovered under all the wadded up gauze. We'll have to see how that goes. A couple of times I've felt like I was passing gas, but maybe it was more than just that.
I'm sticking with my Metamucil and MiraLAX as before, and ate lightly today. I had cream of brocolli soup and peas with half a dinner roll at lunch, then a small salad, some cooked brocolli and cheese plus a few chicken wing joints for dinner.
As I lay here in bed typing this, I get an occasional slight spike of pain, but nothing drastic. I am using the Tucks pads they gave me at the hospital. For the most part it is just minor discomfort for the present. I will probably pop a Netflix movie on and then call it a day. Speaking of which, I do have to note that the best purchase I've made in the past year has been my little 10" Android tablet. While it doesn't completely replace a PC, it does give me much flexibility, and has made these conversations much easier to accomplish when I've been in the middle of severe agony.
Anyway, I'd just like to once again thank you all for the sharing and caring that you have shown to me through this ordeal. I will continue to update my progress post surgery on a daily basis as best possible, especially in these first days, which are so important for anyone contemplating this surgery to hear.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 28 Feb 2012, 22:30

rasmith3530 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the good wishes and sharing.
Surgery Day +1 Report:
I woke up with some soreness this morning, but it was not too severe, so I took a couple Ibuprofin and went to my day hospital program. During the day, the discomfort ebbed and flowed, but again, it was not serious enough to warrant the narcotic pain meds prescribed, and right now, that is fine.
On my instructions, it said not to shore for twenty-four hours, so I was quite glad to jump in tonight, although I do have to say that I was also just a bit anxious. I did have just a tiny sign of minor incontinance on the Tucks pad that I discovered under all the wadded up gauze. We'll have to see how that goes. A couple of times I've felt like I was passing gas, but maybe it was more than just that.
I'm sticking with my Metamucil and MiraLAX as before, and ate lightly today. I had cream of brocolli soup and peas with half a dinner roll at lunch, then a small salad, some cooked brocolli and cheese plus a few chicken wing joints for dinner.
As I lay here in bed typing this, I get an occasional slight spike of pain, but nothing drastic. I am using the Tucks pads they gave me at the hospital. For the most part it is just minor discomfort for the present. I will probably pop a Netflix movie on and then call it a day. Speaking of which, I do have to note that the best purchase I've made in the past year has been my little 10" Android tablet. While it doesn't completely replace a PC, it does give me much flexibility, and has made these conversations much easier to accomplish when I've been in the middle of severe agony.
Anyway, I'd just like to once again thank you all for the sharing and caring that you have shown to me through this ordeal. I will continue to update my progress post surgery on a daily basis as best possible, especially in these first days, which are so important for anyone contemplating this surgery to hear.

Glad you've gotten through the day-after-surgery day, rasmith. I wouldn't worry too much about that minor bit of whatever you saw on the pad. You're still fresh out of surgery, and you're on the Miralax and Metamucil - so, things might be a bit loose in your intestines. --- It sounds like you're eating lightly, but well - and that's good. It also sounds like you're handling your discomfort, without too much pain involved. I had an LIS and a fissurectomy, so I'm still dealing with a bit of soreness and some discomfort, but I do expect it will pass. These things take time - and we all heal on our own time frames.
I'm happy to be among your support people -- I know I couldn't have done as well as I've done, without the people here, especially Sue1962, who's such a sweet gal and who spent alot of time giving me her complete support and advice. --- Everyone here is nice, and we all just want ALL of us to feel better. You're on your way!
Yes, please share your story, as it will surely help other people who are going through this experience. Have a good night!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rasmith3530 » 29 Feb 2012, 04:43

Thanks SB for being there. It is now 4:30AM locally, and I just woke because my bladder was full. I also changed out my Tucks and noted that I do have some slight bleeding. It is nowhere near what I was experiencing at this fissure's worst.
Almost no pain at present. I do note that my tummy is "grumbling" so digestive system must be functioning, but no bowel movement yet.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue1962 » 29 Feb 2012, 06:29

Hey WOI
I am thinking my AF is almost healed, I really don't feel it. I have a 2 month post op on Friday, so I will let you know what the CRS says. Every once in a while I will get a pinch that lasts for maybe a 1/2 of second and thats it. My fissure was very deep, down to the muscle, so I assume it will be a while before it is healed completely. With that said, I have had no pain or spasm since the day they wheeled me into the OR. My recovery was quick and painless. It was mostly a discomfort, kind of achy.
Hey Rob
Sounds like everything you are going through is normal!!! I wouldn't worry about a thing. The little bit you saw on the pad was nothing. Not to give TMI but the first couple of days after surgery are well not sure if gas or poop...LOL all the fiber and Miralax makes it hard to tell. I just headed to the bathroom and sat down, most of the time was gas but sometimes poop. Everything is very loose down there even with the swelling. The blood is normal as well. I didn't have much only the night of surgery and maybe a spot the next day. Everyone is different with recovery, just be patient, pamper yourself and soon you will be feeling great!!! Took about a week for me. On day 5 I went out to the grocery store and cooked dinner at 1 week I went shopping at the mall all day....Just take it easy, eat well, take your Miralax and in a few days, you will remember life as it was before the horrible AF..... Hugs!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby rasmith3530 » 29 Feb 2012, 20:34

Surgery Day +2 Report:
Wondering if I bit off more than I could chew. Was fine most of the day. Again went to my Day Hospital program. The ride home on the paratransit bus was murder. This driver must have found every torn up farm road in our county, and was flying down them to boot!
I discovered that you gals have an advantage over us males. You get taught from a young age how to use a Maxi Pad. We've got to wing it!
About an hour ago, I had my first bowel movement, post surgery. It was a bit painful, I didn't think I'd ever get my rear end cleaned up (I actually had to take a 10 minute pause due to discomfort), and, as others have described, I don't feel completely flushed out. Not sure if that's because there's more up the, or if it's just because of swelling from the surgery. Only time will tell.
I am now resting on my side, my butt burning some. I don't want to scare anyone though. What I am feeling, although uncomfortable, is nothing like what I was going through before the LIS. Class 2 narcotic pain medication was barely dimming the pain then, and now, I am only using Ibuprofin, and even that use is limited.
Unless my insurance company extends me, tomorrow is my last day in the Partial Hospitalization program, and frankly, that may be a good thing for my buns. I noted that someone had asked in another thread, about having their LIS on a Friday, and returning to work the following Monday. I would have to answer that one with a resounding "NO!" I'm in a hospital situation as a patient right now (neuro-psych issues), and they are aware of what I had done and all, so I've got it much easier than if I was presently working my job, and as I noted at the beginning of this post, even this level of activity may have been a bit much.
One concern is, of course, if I am out somewhere, and I have to make a bowel movement, how would I properly clean myself thereafter. It was hard enough today at home.
All things considered though, I am doing OK. As I've been sitting here typing this on the virtual keyboard of my Android tablet (actually laying on my side), the pain from my ricshaw ride an BM are already beginning to subside. Hopefully, that will continue, and I will get a peaceful night's sleep.
Once again, thank you to all for caring and sharing with me. Sue, it's good to hear that your healing is coming along. I figure that so long as I don't try to make any major changes in diet and supplements, and I can keep the brown stuff flowing smoothly, but not too smoothly, I should see continual improvement as the days progress. At least, that is the plan.
Oh yes, here's one for you guys. Have you noted any pain to your rear end when you cough?
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 29 Feb 2012, 20:53

Hey Rob,
Hope you get plenty of time to rest.
Glad things are steadily improving!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 29 Feb 2012, 21:06

rasmith3530 wrote:Surgery Day +2 Report:
Wondering if I bit off more than I could chew. Was fine most of the day. Again went to my Day Hospital program. The ride home on the paratransit bus was murder. This driver must have found every torn up farm road in our county, and was flying down them to boot!
I discovered that you gals have an advantage over us males. You get taught from a young age how to use a Maxi Pad. We've got to wing it!
About an hour ago, I had my first bowel movement, post surgery. It was a bit painful, I didn't think I'd ever get my rear end cleaned up (I actually had to take a 10 minute pause due to discomfort), and, as others have described, I don't feel completely flushed out. Not sure if that's because there's more up the, or if it's just because of swelling from the surgery. Only time will tell.
I am now resting on my side, my butt burning some. I don't want to scare anyone though. What I am feeling, although uncomfortable, is nothing like what I was going through before the LIS. Class 2 narcotic pain medication was barely dimming the pain then, and now, I am only using Ibuprofin, and even that use is limited.
Unless my insurance company extends me, tomorrow is my last day in the Partial Hospitalization program, and frankly, that may be a good thing for my buns. I noted that someone had asked in another thread, about having their LIS on a Friday, and returning to work the following Monday. I would have to answer that one with a resounding "NO!" I'm in a hospital situation as a patient right now (neuro-psych issues), and they are aware of what I had done and all, so I've got it much easier than if I was presently working my job, and as I noted at the beginning of this post, even this level of activity may have been a bit much.
One concern is, of course, if I am out somewhere, and I have to make a bowel movement, how would I properly clean myself thereafter. It was hard enough today at home.
All things considered though, I am doing OK. As I've been sitting here typing this on the virtual keyboard of my Android tablet (actually laying on my side), the pain from my ricshaw ride an BM are already beginning to subside. Hopefully, that will continue, and I will get a peaceful night's sleep.
Once again, thank you to all for caring and sharing with me. Sue, it's good to hear that your healing is coming along. I figure that so long as I don't try to make any major changes in diet and supplements, and I can keep the brown stuff flowing smoothly, but not too smoothly, I should see continual improvement as the days progress. At least, that is the plan.
Oh yes, here's one for you guys. Have you noted any pain to your rear end when you cough?

Good lordy, rasmith! I don't envy you that rickshaw bus trip home! I could hardly sit in the car - one week post-op (for a post-op visit to the crs) - let alone get in a bus two days' after an LIS. Well, you're a brave soul -- and you did get through it. So, that's good. At least you're able to rest now.
The cleaning down below is a bit tricky, until the swelling subsides. I'm a month post-op, and my swelling has gone down to about a pea-sized amount, more or less - and I still have some soreness and a bit of burning (more like a warm feeling down below) . . . but again, I did have two procedures, rather than just the LIS alone. --- Anyhow, from week to week, I have noticed a significant reduction in the swelling - but at first, it was quite hard for me to feel as if I had everything clean, but I did my best.
As to how you could properly do that in public, I don't know - especially at this early day in the game for you, post-op. I'm pretty regular, and I know I will have a bm in the a.m., usually right after I eat breakfast. That does help to ease my mind for the rest of the day - not that I've gone that many places. I'm still in resting mode - not quite feeling up to my usual self, just yet. --- You're so right, when saying that a few days' rest is not enough after an LIS. I would say that a great many of us need more time than that, in order to have a decent recovery time.
And coughing? Yep, it hurt for several days after my surgery -- sneezing, too. I seem to reliably sneeze, every single morning, usually in my bathroom. I tried to avoid that like the plague, especially right after my surgery.
Anyhow, it's good to hear that you've done alright, thus far. --- You'll get the hang of those pads. Once you know which position they need to be (on your underwear), you can just peel the paper off the sticky back of the pad, and then stick it on in the same place, every time.
Take care, rest, and I'm glad you're on your way.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 01 Mar 2012, 23:17

Surgery Day +3 Report:
Today has been a weird day. My head was not in the right place to start, thanks to something that happened yesterday at my day hospital program. Also, I found out at the last moment that my insurance was extending same through tomorrow. The not knowing what or where my life is going to be has been maddening from the start.
Fissure wise though, it was not bad, at least not until I got home. Shortly thereafter, I felt like I had to go, like now. Worried that I might mess myself, I held on for a moment, then went to the bathroom. Twenty minutes later and nothing. I did discover that I'd had a small degree of incontinance (thank God for Maxi-pads). Now, this has been playing out like same all evening. I have sat on the can for up to half an hour at a stretch after feeling like I needed to go, with some urgency but nothing has yet come. The small amount of stool that came out was just fine, not firm, sort of between soft serve ice cream and creamy style peanut butter in consistency, so I don't think it is constipation. That said, I don't know why I can't go, I'm afraid to really try and push, and I need to get to sleep for my early start in the morning.
I am also experiencing some burning pain, nothing as bad as the pre-surgery spasms, but painful nonetheless. I do not want to sit on the toilet all night, but I also don't want to have to deal with having a BM at the hospital where I cannot clean myself as directed.
Because of this back and forth, I'm also feeling some burning pain, noo
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 01 Mar 2012, 23:33

rasmith3530 wrote:Surgery Day +3 Report:
Today has been a weird day. My head was not in the right place to start, thanks to something that happened yesterday at my day hospital program. Also, I found out at the last moment that my insurance was extending same through tomorrow. The not knowing what or where my life is going to be has been maddening from the start.
Fissure wise though, it was not bad, at least not until I got home. Shortly thereafter, I felt like I had to go, like now. Worried that I might mess myself, I held on for a moment, then went to the bathroom. Twenty minutes later and nothing. I did discover that I'd had a small degree of incontinance (thank God for Maxi-pads). Now, this has been playing out like same all evening. I have sat on the can for up to half an hour at a stretch after feeling like I needed to go, with some urgency but nothing has yet come. The small amount of stool that came out was just fine, not firm, sort of between soft serve ice cream and creamy style peanut butter in consistency, so I don't think it is constipation. That said, I don't know why I can't go, I'm afraid to really try and push, and I need to get to sleep for my early start in the morning.
I am also experiencing some burning pain, nothing as bad as the pre-surgery spasms, but painful nonetheless. I do not want to sit on the toilet all night, but I also don't want to have to deal with having a BM at the hospital where I cannot clean myself as directed.
Because of this back and forth, I'm also feeling some burning pain, noo

Hi, rasmith -
You're only three days out of your surgery, so don't let any discomfort or burning get you down. I'm still having small degrees of burning, also some itching - and I'm a month past my surgery. Everyone heals differently and at his/her own pace.
ITA that you shouldn't push the bms. IMO, because the anal area is so sensitive and full of nerve endings, you might feel the sensation to go, but it could be just a residual of your surgery. Keep taking your Miralax, drink enough water, watch your diet, and you should be fine. Keep resting, too, as much as possible. I'm still taking it easy, as much as I can.
I hope you have a good day tomorrow. Keep us posted!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 02 Mar 2012, 00:01

Thanks SB. The one thing that has me concerned about the sensation is that some fecal matter did come out. This would be my second post surgery BM, as I did have one yesterday. I only seem to get the burning coming on when I start feeling like I'm about to have a BM, but as with yesterday, the burning didn't subsude until AFTER I'd gone and then cleaned the area all up.
I'm certainly not expecting to be pain free a few days out of surgery, and I'm actually quite surprised, pleasantly of course, with the fact that I've really not had that much pain. As mentioned before, my main concern is that this BM may occur when I'm out and hours from a sitzbath.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist