LIS One Day Away

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS One Day Away

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 05 Mar 2012, 17:19

rasmith - In my experience, healing takes awhile - and it's so individual. I'm still healing, though I am much, much better. Plus, it depends on what type/how many procedures a person has had. I had two - the LIS and fissurectomy - and I do believe that's why my healing has taken a bit longer, than if I had just had the LIS alone.
That said, my swelling is down to almost nothing now, and I'm up and about and able to eat a variety of foods. Plus, I can sit down, fairly comfortably, on most chairs now (a big plus, because I can play my piano again!).
It just takes awhile for that area to heal down below, IMO. I hope your recovery is going well. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rasmith3530 » 05 Mar 2012, 17:32

SB, yes, I don't think that there's anything abnormal about where I am at in the healing process. I had a major fissure, and between it and the LIS, we're not talking a little nick on the finger that a bandaid and some Neosporin corrects in a couple days.
What I can say is that, one week after the surgery, while I still experience pain, it is (1) much less than prior to surgery, and (2) something I pretty much expected. In fact, I was worried it was going to be worse.
Hope you guys are all doing well.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby rasmith3530 » 06 Mar 2012, 15:02

Eight days after surgery now. I woke up this morning with just my regular feeling of discomfort and even managed to participate a bit in our yoga therapy session at the hospital. My back issues limited me more than my fissure, but I was being extra careful nonetheless. This week, I've been transitioned to a half day program. I had a small bite at the hospital cafeteria with some of my fellow patients, then waited for my bus. Well, about ten minutes ago, I began getting the urge to go. I went, sat on the commode and waited. It took about ten minutes, but I had my BM, it was of normal consistency for my current diet and supplements, and it was not very painful leaving. Although wiping/dabbing, or whatever you want to call it was painful to the touch, it was not overly so, and the best news is that, as I type this on my tablet, I am back at that now normal state of discomfort.
Read, NO SPAMS WHATSOEVER!!!
Yea!
I hope everyone else is having a decent day today. Thanks all for your support and advice as I've worked to reach this milestone. You guys are great! On top of this, it is currently in the mid 50s here in northern Illinois.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rasmith3530 » 06 Mar 2012, 15:03

Spasms, not spams.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Mar 2012, 15:09

rasmith3530 wrote:Eight days after surgery now. I woke up this morning with just my regular feeling of discomfort and even managed to participate a bit in our yoga therapy session at the hospital. My back issues limited me more than my fissure, but I was being extra careful nonetheless. This week, I've been transitioned to a half day program. I had a small bite at the hospital cafeteria with some of my fellow patients, then waited for my bus. Well, about ten minutes ago, I began getting the urge to go. I went, sat on the commode and waited. It took about ten minutes, but I had my BM, it was of normal consistency for my current diet and supplements, and it was not very painful leaving. Although wiping/dabbing, or whatever you want to call it was painful to the touch, it was not overly so, and the best news is that, as I type this on my tablet, I am back at that now normal state of discomfort.
Read, NO SPAMS WHATSOEVER!!!
Yea!
I hope everyone else is having a decent day today. Thanks all for your support and advice as I've worked to reach this milestone. You guys are great! On top of this, it is currently in the mid 50s here in northern Illinois.
Rob

I've been to Chicago, rasmith (or do you prefer, "Rob"?) - and though it's a lovely city, the weather is a bit extreme (cold or humid) for my California bones, lol.
Glad you're having an okay day. Sounds like you are getting through the healing process. Time, time, time, I guess - that's what I tell myself.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 06 Mar 2012, 19:58

I go by Rob, thanks for asking. Although you are quite correct about the cold and humidity, I do like the distinct seasons. I spent time out in Cali when I was in the Navy, and it's a cool place to hang out, but I'd miss snow on the pines at Christmastime. I also lived a year in Albuquerque, and never could quite adjust to the high desert climate.
I'm hoping that the worst is over, but I'll just have to take it one day at a time.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 06 Mar 2012, 20:06

rasmith3530 wrote:I go by Rob, thanks for asking. Although you are quite correct about the cold and humidity, I do like the distinct seasons. I spent time out in Cali when I was in the Navy, and it's a cool place to hang out, but I'd miss snow on the pines at Christmastime. I also lived a year in Albuquerque, and never could quite adjust to the high desert climate.
I'm hoping that the worst is over, but I'll just have to take it one day at a time.
Rob

My son went to school in Chicago (which is why I was there, visiting) - and he just about froze to pieces during the wintertime. I was there in the spring and summer, a few times - and in May, it felt like January here! lol
I'm with you about the desert climate. I have friends in Phoenix, and I don't know how they stand that hot, H O T weather in the summer.
I'm hoping my worst is over, too - but I remain a bit sore - no complications, though - just soreness and some burning. I just want to hop on my bike (a 60-yr.-old, heavy duty Schwinn) and ride, without any discomfort. I'll have to wait on that, I guess.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 07 Mar 2012, 02:03

Ha! I want to be able to do the same SB. I have an old Schwinn exercise bike, built here in Chicago, and also one of the last of those old cantilever framed, balloon tire bikes to come off Schwinn's assembly plant here in the city. One of my first jobs as a teen was to work after school at the local Schwinn store. That is how I raised the cash to buy my first new, store bought bike, a 1967 Stingray 3 speed.
I also have a pair of hybrid bikes that were built in the early 1990s for Schwinn by Giant in Taiwan. These bikes were and continue to be some of the highest rated hybrids of their day, and even for modern times.
I do want so badly to ride, even if it is on the excercize bike in the house.
Take care,
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 07 Mar 2012, 09:47

Rob, those vintage Schwinns are great, IMO. Mine is c. 1950, I think - completely restored - and though it only has one speed, it's a joy to ride. I haven't seen those 1990s hybrids, but I'll bet they're good bikes -- and I love those old Stingrays! Such cool bikes.
I don't have an exercise bike in the house, but I'm thinking about getting one, once my fanny settles down. The thing is, before my AF re-tore (last Oct.), I was jogging and feeling good. Since then, I've lost 25 pounds and haven't exercised - so, I need to do something, once I feel healed enough.
I hope you have a good day of it and feel better and better. Tomorrow I see my crs, so I hope it's a good visit.
Take care - SB
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 08 Mar 2012, 21:55

SB, if you check your local Craigslist under bicycles, the old Schwinn exercise bikes come up somewhat frequently. They are usually gold in color although I did see one the other day in that brow metallic that was popular on stuff like Varsity and Collegiate models in the late 1960s.
My first store bought new bike was a gold Stingray three speed. I learned how to weld down at the corner gas station and ended up modifying the neck of the bike so I could run a fork that I made which was 10 inches longer than the stock front end. It would be the first of many chopped "bikes." I graduated first to mini bikes and finally, while in the Navy, to the real thing, in the form of a 1970 Harley XLCH Sportster.
I should note that today is my tenth day after surgery. The only thing I see on the Tucks pads now is a faint pink staining and every now and then a sort of semi translucent discharge. Bowel movements are becoming more comfortable, with less of the burning after. Great improvement! I'm sticking to my diet, and I just picked up fresh bottles of Metamucil and MiraLAX (generics in both cases) to continue that treatment. My stools are pretty regular and soft, and as this seems to be working for me, I certainly don't want to upset the applecart now.
I hope this post finds everyone doing better, and their fissures healing.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist