LIS Success Story

It took 3 months to heal fully, but it did!

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

LIS Success Story

Postby delta_charlie_sierra » 23 Aug 2014, 21:53

I developed an anal fissure in May 2013. I tried Miralax, lots of water, nifedipine, etc. Finally, a year later in May 2014, I had an LIS. While the procedure was uncomfortable afterwards, it definitely worked. I was discouraged for a while afterwards, growing impatient and thinking that it had not worked.
Everything is different for everyone, but I found the key to be FIBER intake. I scratched the Miralax (it caused burning and diarrhea) and started taking up to 8 fiber pills a day (make sure to work up to that first) and increasing water intake. I tried to make sure that my fiber intake was about 35 grams a day. I trie to use the bathroom first thing in the morning, and not strain (it is better to go in the morning) and immediately use a sitz bath for at least 10 minutes. I learned the hard way that some hemorrhoid wipes only worsen the pain and cause pruritus, so I tried to use sitz bath and soft toilet tissue or baby wipes only. This was the key to the final success and healing. It took about 3 months, but I am finally healed! I get pruritus (itchy bum) every once in a while, but a little vaseline solves that everytime. If you are desperate and considering an LIS or still recovering from one, I hope this helps.
I will never miss my daily fiber intake again. I guess some of us learn the hard way how important fiber is. :)
Good luck!
delta_charlie_sierra
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: LIS Success Story

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Aug 2014, 09:34

Thanks for telling us your story, delta.
It's such a hard decision whether or not to have LIS, that it's really useful to hear how it actually went for the people who have had it.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby msimon » 24 Aug 2014, 18:41

Hi delta. I am so happy to hear another success story. You give the rest of us hope :D
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby mmklinemm » 24 Aug 2014, 19:11

Thanks for the much-needed hope! I'm currently healing and considering LIS if I have another retear. I'm curious about your total fiber intake. Is your 35g/day from food only or does it include the amount you get from fiber pills?
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby delta_charlie_sierra » 24 Aug 2014, 20:01

mmklinemm wrote:Thanks for the much-needed hope! I'm currently healing and considering LIS if I have another retear. I'm curious about your total fiber intake. Is your 35g/day from food only or does it include the amount you get from fiber pills?

Kline - That amount included the pill supplements, I don't eat very healthy unfortunately but I did try to increase beans/greens. They are just generic fiber pills from the pharmacy, 3g per pill. I started with about 5 a day and moved up to even 8 to 10. I continue to take them just to be safe. :)
delta_charlie_sierra
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Rachael 1984 » 25 Aug 2014, 14:13

Hi DCS,
This was a great read.... It's given me hope, I'm heading for LIS in 3 weeks. Thanksxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!