Major changes here!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Major changes here!

Postby busymom » 26 Oct 2009, 16:10

So things HAD been going pretty good with my AF. Soft stools, pain at a level ZERO sometimes, little to no bleeding, - I figured I had some great healing going on and life would soon be back to normal. Well, over the weekend I had a major setback. Lots of pain, spasms, bleeding, and what felt like a giant re-tear. I called the CRS today and went in. They said that the fissure is a lot bigger, with external hemmies, skin tags and serious damage. Image The NP was shocked that I was able to handle the pain and wouldn't even begin to attempt any type of rectal exam. I guess I'm just used to it now! Sad!
So...I am scheduled for LIS next Wednesday morning and they think it will go fine. I've had some complications since birthing 4 large almost-10 lb babies with tearing during childbirth, but supposedly it looks healed enough that I shouldn't have any incontinence problems. Now that I have the go-ahead, I am going full speed. They told me to double my Miralax dose, keep taking Dulcolax, and keep up on the ibuprofen until this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes and ALL of the positives and negatives I encounter. I'm hoping for more positives! On the plus side, high school football is ending for us (probably won't make the playoffs! Image ) so no more sitting on those cold, hard bleachers!
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Major changes here!

Postby cherylk » 26 Oct 2009, 16:50

Wow! Four large almost-10 pound babies! You deserve some sort of trophy for that! My largest baby was 5 lb 8 oz, and I felt like I was going to explode. Good luck with the surgery and keep us posted. Sounds like you have the right attitude which is always helpful! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby busymom » 26 Oct 2009, 18:47

I had gestational diabetes with each one, and that always leads to bigger birth weights. Unfortunately, I also had an ob/gyn who wouldn't induce me unless necessary. I was always overdue by at least a week! I used to think that they didn't want to come out because they were enjoying the chocolate shake/diet coke combo that I gave them once a week! :)
busymom
Salt Bather

Postby Jo » 02 Nov 2009, 10:38

Hope your surgery goes well. Will be thinking of you. Is it this week? I haven't been around much and happened on this post. I also had several 10 pound babies!
Good luck with everything.
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby busymom » 02 Nov 2009, 10:49

Thanks Jo! Yes, it's this Wednesday and frankly it can't come soon enough. I've been in an astounding amount of pain - more than usual - so I can't wait to see if this will help it to end. I'm almost ready to see if they will call in a valium prescription. I can really feel that muscle spasming - it is unbelievably intense, like a really bad charley horse in my rectum! Image
Any more tips, advice, information, etc. is appreciated! I am preparing with all my supplies for post-surgery - ice packs, stool softeners, laxatives, water, anything else?
busymom
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 02 Nov 2009, 11:00

What about a heating pad????
cherylk
VIP

Postby busymom » 02 Nov 2009, 11:03

Oh thanks Cheryl! I didn't even remember that!
:D
busymom
Salt Bather

Postby Jo » 02 Nov 2009, 11:03

I've heard valium helps with the spasms but I never called to get a prescription, you should though, no reason to suffer so much. Sorry you have such pain. Those muscle spasms are terrible!!
I never had the LIS surgery, just hemmie surgery which caused my fissures. Unfortunately it was a very BAD surgery I probably didn't need.
Your supply list looks pretty good, you will be getting pain pills. I did try a heating pad, also. Lots of baths seemed to help some. It doesn't sound like the LIS surgery is as painful as the hemmie surgery so hopefully you will just have relief from those darned spasms!
I will keep you keep in my prayers.
Hold on for relief...
Jo
Jo
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby busymom » 02 Nov 2009, 11:09

Thanks Jo! I'm hoping that this will do the trick. I'm sorry you had such a bad time with your hemmie surgery, and then to get fissures from it - no fun!! Image
Did you add anything, like epsom salts, to your baths? Does that seem to help?
busymom
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 02 Nov 2009, 11:13

Good luck, BM with the procedure and your bm's afterwards! I'll say a prayer for you when I pray for my two friends who are battling cancer! Try to report back in and let us know how it went!
cherylk
VIP