Metamucil Dosage

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Metamucil Dosage

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 10:31

I got my mom to buy some but I'm scared to take it. Where do you buy the fiber that you use? I remember what you said it had in it I just can't remember the name. I think I need some probiotics to get my tummy normal again, becuase I believe I've had a bit of a virus. I take activia, but I don't think that's enough.

Postby buttgirl » 20 Feb 2008, 10:46

metamucil was awful for me. my ppos were the opposite--normal followed by hard clumps where the fiber was. Perhpas you could switch fibers. I really like the one by digestive advantage. It's called chronic constipation, but all it contains is a japanese yam fiber and a probiotic. the day after I began taking it I noticed a big difference. Really, it's the only fiber that has worked for me so far. Be sure to take it with a full glass of water before meals.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 10:50

Can you get that at a regular drug store or Wal Mart maybe. Before the surgery I had no problem with metamucil. My surgeon recommended fibersure. I just don't know what to take.

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 11:19

I couldn't find the Digestive Advantage locally but I live in a small town. I order mine from Amazon.com.

Postby buttgirl » 20 Feb 2008, 12:16

I live in So. Cal and get mine in Riteaid.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Feb 2008, 14:20

I think you should ease off your stool softener and continue with fiber (Metamucil) if it worked for you till now. I was told by my Gi and CRS that Metamucil can help with loose stools too because it absorbs extra water from the intestines. Try eating some cooked white rice - it helps with my tummy always. Don't eat too much though, because it can be constipating for some people.
Best of luck and it is so nice to see your picture : )) !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 15:24

I had diarrhea this morning and had a date :) hehe, so I took some Immodium. Totally afraid of that since it backs you up, stops the normal flow and whatnot but didn't wanna go on my date having to use to toilet every ten mins. I think the diarrhea was from the Miralax that i've been taking since it's made my poops very watery and numerous. My regiment for fiber is basically two colace and two fish/flax seed oil pills during the day and one gulp of MOM (and Miralax if I ate badly) at night. Depending on the days intake of food I have relatively pain free BMs. But I often feel like I don't have the right regiment down and wanna try new things to see what truly works best and what isn't so hard to abide by ya know. All this crap is making me crazy! Hope that helped.
Plus, I've only been on this regiment for less than two weeks so maybe I'm not the best advice giver. Also i'm going back for surgery on Friday. I'll write about it in another forum though. LIS this time! Whoopie :)

Postby juney » 20 Feb 2008, 15:37

so yo'ure really having the surgery erin?? this week?

how was your date? i can't imagine "dating" while dealing with this!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 20 Feb 2008, 15:41

Erin, you mean you'd leave us and go write about your LIS in another forum, or just another part of this forum? We'd all want to know how it came out!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 16:05

Yeah, do tell. Maybe she meant a different thread, hopefully.

And tell us about the date too. We need to make sure he's okay!