Metamucil Dosage

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Metamucil Dosage

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2008, 06:37

How much water should be mixed with 2 tablespoons Metamucil? My CRS just gave me a list of recommended supplements. The dosage of Metamucil on the container is no where near 2 tablespoons.
I also have a hard time getting in enough water for the day. Does the water mixed with the metamucil count as part of my daily intake?
Thanks,
Jennie

Re: Metamucil Dosage

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2008, 09:38

I am thinking 8 ounces of water would be okay. You want to drink it fairly fast or it starts to congeal.

Are you away most of the day so you can't get to water easily? If you are at home you can pour a pitcher full of the amount of water you need and then pour from that so then you will know for sure you are getting enough. Away from home water bottles come in handy.

Postby Guest » 05 Feb 2008, 11:58

Oh my, 2 tablespoons does sound like alot. I take 1 rounded teaspoon three times a day and drink at least 8 oz. of water each time. Did the doctor say to take the 2 tablespoons all at once or divide it up during the day? Because I would think you would have to drink alot of water to take that much at one time.
I have the same question you have, Jennie, about whether the water is counted towards your daily intake.
I'm considering getting the Metamucil capsules for when I'm out and can't take the powdered. Has anyone tried the capsules and do they seem to work as well as the powder?
Julie

Postby Fissulyna » 05 Feb 2008, 14:47

I think that doctor made a mistake in a hurry - my CRS told me 2 TEA spoons a day ! I usually mix one with 8 oz of watter and sip it with my dinner, stirring it occasionally. I like orange flavor and I imagine drinking orange juice with some pulp LOL ; ))) ! Now that I am about 6 -7 weeks post op , I take Metamucile only once a day. I used to drink it 3X a day when I had fissure. It worked great for me than and works great for me now. BUT PILLS DIDN"T WORK !!! They would open late in the intestines and would not mix with food so I would end up with like : part normal poop, than poop fluff (that was pill opened), than would come normal poop and so forth. Also, you have to take like 6 pills ! There are individual packs of metamucil, size of little sugar bags and they are very portable to carry - same great taste and same effect as regular metamucil ; ) !
Good luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby buttgirl » 05 Feb 2008, 17:11

I NEVER had success with metamucil at any doseage. the ONLY fiber I have had success with is the glucomannan, and that comes in pill form. but that just may be my butt. Go figure.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 06 Feb 2008, 18:49

I eat the Metamucil bars. My CRS said just eat one a day and they seem to work for me because I eat the fiber cereal too! Look at my pic LOL

Patty

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2008, 16:39

Actually, the CRS gave me a paper with fiber choices on it. Listed as one of the best is Metamucil 2 tablespoons in AM and another 2 tablesoons in the evening for a total of 4 tablespoons per day! After reading on the Metamucil container, I decided just to do 2 tablespoons a day. That seems to be working pretty well.
Jennie

Postby Fissulyna » 11 Feb 2008, 23:06

Glad to hear that Jennie : ) ! Metamucil is natural fiber and you don't have to worry about any side effects and such. Just continue to take a lot of fluids too !
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 09:44

My surgeon told me to take one rounded tablespoons of metamucil followed by 8 oz. of water twice a day. It's been giving me problems. I've had diareah followed by fluff for the past two days. I stopped taking MOM which he recommended but it hasen't seemed to help yet. I think I'm getting the flu or something also. I just need advice on what to do to start getting my system back to normal. I don't want to set myself back as I just had surgery 2 weeks ago today.

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2008, 10:16

If I have diarrhea I just stop taking the stool softeners and extra fiber but still eat the All Bran Buds. Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am sure it burns. Do you think maybe taking a small dose of immodium would help?