MiraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol 3350) info

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

MiraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol 3350) info

Postby StevePain » 26 Mar 2010, 13:52

Here is a bit of useful info on MiraLAX for those that take pooping seriously!!
What Is MiraLAX®?
MiraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol 3350) is a completely different way to treat constipation. MiraLAX is the only one clinically proven to relieve constipation with no harsh side effects. MiraLAX works by naturally balancing the water in your digestive system to relieve constipation with no harsh side effects. It gently increases the frequency of bowel movements and softens the stool so it is easier to pass.
MiraLAX is safe and effective - and is available without a prescription. It is the first prescription laxative in more than 30 years to be made available over-the-counter (OTC).
How Does MiraLAX® Work?
MiraLAX draws water back to your colon, replacing what was lost, and allows you to have a normal, easy and complete bowel movement. As it works, it provides more comfort and less straining without uncomfortable side effects. And you can control the urge to go.
What Makes MiraLAX® Different?
Nothing works better than MiraLAX for constipation relief without harsh side effects. Many laxatives claim to be gentle to your system, but fail to deliver on that promise when trying to provide constipation/irregularity relief. MiraLAX, however, helps to relieve your constipation with no harsh side effects.
No bloating*
No cramps*
No gas*
No sudden urgency
No taste
No grit
As a prescription product, MiraLAX was preferred by 2 out of 3 patients over their usual product+.
MiraLAX is the #1 doctor and pharmacist recommended laxative and it's the only one clinically proven to relieve constipation with no harsh side effects. MiraLAX is also the one brand hospitals use more often.
Medicines can work differently for different people. To decide how to treat their patients, doctors look at the clinical research. The active ingredient in MiraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol 3350) has been studied and proven safe and effective in more high-quality clinical trials than any other OTC laxative.
In 2005, the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) reviewed all of the clinical research in North America for OTC laxatives. MiraLAX§ is the only OTC laxative that received a "Grade A Recommendation"†- their highest rating. No wonder MiraLAX is preferred most by doctors and pharmacists for constipation/irregularity relief and the one brand hospitals use more often.
Some OTC laxatives that you can buy today have been available for 30, 50 or even over 100 years. You might think that because they have been around for a long time, they must all work for you. But in its 2005 review, The American College of Gastroenterology concluded that there is not enough clinical research on either stimulant laxatives or most bulk-forming (fiber) laxatives.
If you have tried other OTC laxatives for constipation/irregularity relief, then you already know whether they work for you. If you have found a laxative that works, you may still want to give MiraLAX a try to relieve your constipation/irregularity. It has been shown that laxative users preferred MiraLAX when compared to their usual laxative.‡
How Do You Take MiraLAX®?
MiraLAX is taken once daily with liquids. It has no taste and dissolves easily and completely in everyday beverages such as water, juice, coffee, or tea.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Re: MiraLAX (Polyethylene Glycol 3350) info

Postby cherylk » 26 Mar 2010, 14:57

Good info, Steve!!!!! I second all of the above. Miralax is far superior to either of the previous 2 meds I took for constipation. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Mar 2010, 16:02

BTW the patent on MiraLAX ran out last year :) So the same thing is now available (here in the US at least) under all kinds of names, e.g., SmoothLAX, PureLAX, Dulcolax Balance, and more. There are now more ways than ever to achieve the holy grail of poops! Image
Speaking of serious pooping, this is a bit off topic, but the most effective (and also most violent) laxative I've ever personally taken was bisacodyl (a stimulant laxative). It's not appropriate for daily use, but if you ever get real constipated (and I'd have to be REAL constipated before I ever took these again) I don't see how a little bisacodyl wouldn't just empty you right out. I used it for the first part of my colonoscopy prep and it did things that MiraLAX only dreams of :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 28 Mar 2010, 16:51

Good point, NG, about the patent on Miralax running out. You're so smart--I didn't know that!! But I was so curious because so many outlets started having generic versions of it--CVS, Walgreen's, etc. I guess I'll have to continue to believe that one must be good looking and INTELLIGENT to be a Miralax/Movicol/Purelax user!! Image I now use Purelax from Walgreen's as it is much cheaper than Miralax!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Mar 2010, 17:28

Yup same here, I usually buy PureLAX or SmoothLAX too :) The nice thing is that since the patent is expired, there are plenty of promos and good deals on the original MiraLAX to be had which wasn't the case in the past. They changed their bottle shape so it's easier to carry around, so I still buy the original stuff if the price is comparable, otherwise it's the generics for me. When there's a good deal, I stock up -- I always wonder if the guy at the checkout counter is silently dying of laughter when I check out with my 5-6 bottles of laxatives.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 28 Mar 2010, 17:31

Heck, he might be using it himself! :roll:
cherylk
VIP

Postby dee » 28 Mar 2010, 20:39

how long does it take to get used to that "plastic water" feel that it has?
i made the mistake of putting it in activia where it was fine, but in water it just made me gag...
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 28 Mar 2010, 20:43

Hey Dee, you mean the kind of weird taste it has? If so that took me maybe a week or so to get used to. It tasted nasty at first for me too but I don't really notice it anymore (or at least it doesn't bother me anymore).
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby StevePain » 29 Mar 2010, 02:28

Miralax or Movicol as it used* to be called here in the UK is now called Macrogol, it's the exact same thing (Polyethylene Glycol) just under a different name!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby cherylk » 29 Mar 2010, 05:50

Denise,
Try mixing it with a little grape juice and then add water as I suggested in my earlier post!
cherylk
VIP