Miralax type stuff in Canada?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Miralax type stuff in Canada?

Postby SunshineHope » 21 Jul 2007, 02:13

Hi everyone,
I might be working this entire week at a Camp overnight which means not having my regular diet. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to do this but I really need money for the summer and really want to visit a friend in the East in a weekend or two (shes getting married :cheer: ). If I work at the camp it means money which is good, and we'd be staying at a Camp Site where I've stayed before and its about 25 minutes from home. One of my best friends is also working there so we'd be sticking together for most of it. It's basically a Camp for Disabled Kids - not very easy ... But it'll be fun too.
My pain problem is, well. I have to decide by tomorrow evening whether I'm interested or not, and I don't know if it's worth the risk. I have Miralax, hopefully enough to last me the week :bounce: . If not, I guess I could take my prune juice along and aloe vera and I could keep drinking water. My friend said she could try to ask them about making sure they've got enough fruit there... Maybe I can ask if I can bring fruit along. I think it's a pretty informal setting so they're not TOO strict. But I wanted to ask you guys -- is there anything like Mirlax (a stool softener, not a laxative) that's available in Canada? Do you guys know if Colace is available here? It's just that I only have a little bit of Miralax left & don't know if it'll last me the week!
My only fear is just... being away from home for a week and stepping out of my comfort box. It will also mean no baths for the week- I wont have time to soak and I'll be staying there the whole time so I'll only have time for showers. The main benefit is just money! Which I doo need. I know I'll have to be really strict about taking my stool softeners/laxative type things at night - but do you guys think it's worth it?
I really can't afford tearing my fissure again... But if I avoid eating stupid food (e.g. tortilla chips) - could that really happen? I mean, I'll still be strict with what I eat. They have some variety in the food so I could just try eating more salads & fruits than anything. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? I guess I wont really know until it's too late hehe. Just thought I'd see what you guys think Image Maybe I should just run across the border and buy some Miralax tomorrow! Argh..... I really need this money.. Any advice would be great. Thank you guys...
P.S. My fissure is in ok state, I mean I never have spasms,, only the occasional pain during a BM IF i haven't used miralax or ate something weird. I'm usually ok to sit in most places and it's VERY rare for me to get any pain between BMs. I might be a tad bit sore after a BM but it goes away after 15-20 minutes. It'd be weird not soaking for a week but I wonder if my ass can handle it? Maybe...
THank you for any advice... xooo
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Re: Miralax type stuff in Canada?

Postby SunshineHope » 21 Jul 2007, 02:14

Oops I meant ^^ my MAIN problem not PAIN problem haha no pun intended ...
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2007, 09:15

Hey Sunshine,
Wow! What a decision. You know you do have to live your life and it sounds like you really want to do this. You did pretty well on the long trip earlier if I recall and now you are probably even better than you were then don't you think?
I would try as much as you can to keep up the same routine in terms of diet and supplements like your spinach and a stool softener. I think Colace is pretty available (look for the ingredient docusate sodium). I know Merita who lives in Canada has taken this. I would be happy to send you some Miralax but you know how long it took to get to you last time so it wouldn't get there before you leave. But I can send you some so it will be there when you get back.
The other thing you can substitute for Miralax is Milk of Magnesia. I wouldn't take the whole dose but you could start with 1/2 of the capful and see if it works similarly to Miralax. Maybe try it before you go to see how it works for you.
Let us know what you decided.
:heart: Lecia

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 21 Jul 2007, 14:48

Ah, to travel or not to travel. That is the question. I know how you feel Sunshine. I've put off my own travel plans because of this thing... although I might start planning a trip regardless of whether I'm healed or not. I agree with Lecia...you've got to live your life. I've only been actively dealing with mine for 2 months, but I swear, it feels like two years.
If you feel like you've recently turned a new corner in your AF battle, it probably isn't a good idea. But if you feel like you've sort of plateaued with this thing for the last month or so, then I would say go. It might actually be beneficial for you psychologically to break your AF comfort zone and assert control over your AF, rather than living in constant fear and letting AF run your life. After all, our mental states can affect our poos...if you go, it might improve your mental health which could improve your physical health. I would just try to figure out a way you can get all your fiber in each day.
Who knows, though. Tough call.
I think we should all team up and write an AF self-help book.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby SunshineHope » 21 Jul 2007, 22:07

Thank you guys for your advice.. It sure is a tough call.. I am soooooo leaning to yes right now :p hahaha.. I didn't have time to run down to the border (the line-ups these days are distasteful, seriously).
Anyhow, my mom is amazing, she said she can go down south to pick up some Miralax & drop it to the campsite (which isn't too far from the US border anyhow). I think she wants to shop anyways :)
The biggest downside to going is just not being able to soak... My friend was saying they DO eat salad with every meal so I think I'll just eat loads and loads of salad and fruit. If they have no fruit at all, home is only 25 mins away, I can maybe even get my family to drop some off or something. I can do this... I think I'm going to... I'm going to know for sure tomorrow morning and will let you guys know. If I don't come back on here in a week, chances are I probably left and didn't have time to check back .
If anyone else has any advice it's welcome indefinitely!
Thank you all,
xo :))
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SunshineHope » 27 Jul 2007, 22:37

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you all know that I DID do the Camp, and am so, so so so so so so so so glad I did it. It was extremely difficult but such an amazing experience.
Other good news, my fissure is ok in that it didn't retear or bleed during camp. I made sure to eat as much fruit and veggies as I could and it was fine. I gotta run but I'll respond more a bit later.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 28 Jul 2007, 13:38

Very happy to hear that, SH! Sounds like you had an amazing experience -- and best of all, it was fissure-free.
Keep up with your diet and whatever you're doing right!
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby Guest » 28 Jul 2007, 14:29

That is very good news! And a major triump over this fissure!
Si, se puede!
Good for you!
Lecia