Miralaxx for life? Linzess?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Miralaxx for life? Linzess?

Postby Pipyeah777 » 17 Jun 2023, 10:13

It’s been a minute since I’ve been here, but I had a fissure that finally went away last September and all has been well as I’ve been on MiraLAX since that time twice a day. I follow a healthy diet do exercise 5 to 6 days a week… Decided to give it a go without the MiraLAX and now I’m suffering the consequences.. I can not poop like a normal person without I’m not constipated as I go every day, but it’s like (sorry) the poop won’t come out on it’s own unless it’s super soft. It’ll just hang in the balance and it’s almost like it’s too big (which it really isn’t) to pass without straining and having to cross my legs over and contort my body to get it out. Then I don’t feel it’s complete. With a miralaxx I suppose it’s just so soft… Not diarrhea, but soft serve I guess… sorry again, that it requires no effort to come out and it takes less than 2 minutes to complete. I’m OK with being on the relax for the rest of my life or even trying some thing else like linzess,
Now I’m suffering from hemorrhoids and a lump where my fissure once was, but thankfully nothing has opened up. I’m back the the miralaxx and it was smooth sales today, but the damage from the last week will take days if not weeks to clear up. I did a sitz bath and that was nice, but the reminder of this situation which could be so easy to reoccur has be down in the dumps. No pun intended. Does anybody else have this problem? I can’t imagine why my poop is so difficult to come out… I don’t even eat gluten. I don’t know what else I can do….. anyone else have similar issues? Anyone tried linzess? Thanks. Sorry so long.
Pipyeah777
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8

Re: Miralaxx for life? Linzess?

Postby dmcff » 17 Jun 2023, 10:46

What country are you located in?
2014 Anal fissure
2015 CAT, EUA, sigmoidoscopy, 2 MRI
2016 Pain severe then moderate to low
2017 Moderate pain
2018 Physical therapy, pain management
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Topics: 52

Postby Pipyeah777 » 17 Jun 2023, 10:59

USA
Pipyeah777
Fibre Addict

Postby dmcff » 17 Jun 2023, 11:13

Please add that info to your profile - it's accessed via the User Control Panel - and also indicate your gender.

This is simply so that other members of this international forum can offer appropriate advice and/or comment. If you prefer not to indicate gender, that's OK.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby dmcff » 18 Jun 2023, 02:59

Hi there, Pipyeah777, sorry for all these replies regarding use of the - admittedly somewhat quirky - forum software, it's just that we really do need users to supply some basic personal info when they register with us, and the User Control Panel is the best way to achieve that. Thank you for filling in your details - it's appreciated.

Re your question re Miralax - you say that you have been on Miralax twice a day, and that you were taking 'a Miralax' - how much Miralax did you take each time? It's probably unwise to stop the medication completely - in fact, it sounds like you may need to be taking a larger dose than you took before you stopped.

I have to point out that Miralax isn't normally prescribed in the UK, where I live (the nearest equivalent is Movicol), so maybe someone in the US would be better qualified to answer your query.

Linzess is likewise not widely available in the UK as far as I know, though it may be obtainable as Linaclotide.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby Pipyeah777 » 18 Jun 2023, 07:22

Hey there, I take a capful in the morning and at night. It works great when I do that, but I stopped it to see how things would go. Sadly, not very well. I’m back on it, waiting for things to clear up. Last thing I need is to go 9 months with another fissure. That’s how long it took to clear up last time. I don’t think I could mentally do that again. I contacted by pc and asked to try the linzess. I hope it would work for me. I’d love to get down to the root of the problem, but medical here in the “good ol’ USA” is insanely expensive even with insurance. So many times you just have to ignore your problems or opt for a bandaid until you think you can afford to find out where the true issues are stemming from. Sigh!
Pipyeah777
Fibre Addict

Postby dmcff » 18 Jun 2023, 08:03

I guess a capful of Miralax might be about the same as a sachet of Movicol - yes, better to stay on the medication, which does at least work for many people. Good luck with Linaclotide/Linzess. It looks like a laxative specifically designed for IBS sufferers.

Although our NHS is still "free at the point of use", it is really starting to feel and show the strain of decades of government mismanagement, and almost everyone here is hoping that the next general election will bring a new government that can actually deal with the serious problems that have arisen.
2014 Anal fissure
2017 Moderate pain
2019-20 Living with it
2021 Still AF
2022 Therapy, meditation
2023 Onward, up
2024 CT scan
dmcff

Postby patience_and_healing » 19 Jun 2023, 23:50

@Pipyeah: From what you describe, I would suggest pelvic floor physical therapy. There are lots of muscles that need to work together during a BM, and the trauma from a fissure can throw them out of balance.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40