mnmom - I'm back!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

mnmom - I'm back!

Postby mnmom » 10 Jan 2009, 09:58

I posted about a year ago that I discovered a "growth" coming out of my butt, went to the doctor, but she said that she thought it was a hemmorhoid. I started using tinactin and my fissure seemed to heal completely. I have been using it pretty regularyl to keep the fissure at bay and it seemed to work.
Well, in the last couple weeks, right around ovulation in my cycle, my fissure came back. The sentinel tag (I like the word tag better than pile!) is so swollen and irritated right now. The swelling just doesn't seem to go down. I have been taking lots of sitz baths and I have been back to using the tinactin and sometimes I mix A&D ointment and tinactin in the palm of my hand to blend them together and use that. I read some stuff online about clove oil helping fissures, so I bought a bottle of that last night and plan to mix one drop with a little bit of tinactin, but yet I am afraid to use that because they say if you have too strong of a concentration, it can burn your skin. Have any of you tried clove oil? Sometimes I think maybe I should use nothing at all on it right now because it is so irritated, but maybe just continue with the sitz baths.
I am so obsessed with this whole thing right now and I am sure I am making it worse by obsessing. The skin tag is so swollen!! It almost seems like the skin tag swelling is so bad that is preventing the fissure from healing at all.
I don't want to go back to the doctor either, because she didn't even acknowledge that it was a fissure in the first place ... she thinks it is s hemmorhoid. We have a couple of colorectal surgeons in town, but I think I would have to get a referral to go to them, so my doctor would have to actually acknowldege that I have a fissure. Maybe they could give me some nitroglycerin cream.
How about that liquid bandaid stuff. Has anyone thought of or tried to use that on a fissure. Maybe that is too sensitive of an area to use that on, but sometimes I would be willing to try anything!
Any tips from anyone?
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: mnmom - I'm back!

Postby Guest » 10 Jan 2009, 10:52

Maybe something steriod based to reduce the inflammation ! - Anusol hc - Germaloids !

Postby val » 10 Jan 2009, 14:39

I think clove oil is for toothache and will shoot you through the roof if its used on an open wound!! Just my opinion though!
Have you tried putting ice in a bag and applying that, that would help with the pain.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 10 Jan 2009, 15:02

Yeah, I think clove oil would burn your bottom. I think with all the different stuff you are putting on you could be making it worse.
I had a very swollen sentinel tag that eventually had to be removed along with the vein that was feeding it. I tried everything to get the swelling down but it would start right up again. I think if you go to your GP she will see that there is something wrong there and send you to a CRS. She can call it a hemorrhoid or a sentinel tag-it doesn't really matter if it is bothering you.
I have tried putting a peeled potato on my tag and that helped a bit. Camomile tea with white oak tincture is another suggestion that Fissy has used a lot that helped.
And ice! That sure helps too.

Postby mnmom » 10 Jan 2009, 17:42

Here is the information about clove oil. If you google "anal fissure" and "clove," there a few different sites that mention this. Cloves are antiseptic and anti-parasitic ... I still think fissures are somehow related to parasites. I think I may try mixing a drop of the clove oil in with some tinactin to see if I get results.
Clove oil cream: a new effective treatment for chronic anal fissure
Authors: Elwakeel, H. A.1; Moneim, H. A.1; Farid, M.1; Gohar, A. A.2
Source: Colorectal Disease, Volume 9, Number 6, July 2007 , pp. 549-552(4)
Publisher: Blackwell Publishing
Abstract:
Objective 
Anal fissure is a common painful condition affecting the anal canal and causes considerable morbidity and reduction in quality of life. Surgical treatment has been associated with a degree of incontinence in up to 30% of patients. This study discussed the results of clove oil 1% cream in healing of chronic anal fissure. Method 
A single-blind randomized comparative trial was setup to compare traditional treatment with stool softeners and lignocaine cream 5% against clove oil 1% cream for 6 weeks. Results 
55 patients were included in this study, 30 patients in clove oil group and 25 patients in control group. Healing had occurred in 60% of patients in clove oil group and in 12% of patients in the control group after 3-month follow up (P < 0.001). Patients in clove oil group showed significant reduction in resting anal pressure and almost all other anorectal manometric pressures compared with patients in control group. Conclusion 
Topical application of clove oil cream demonstrated a significant beneficial effect when applied to patients suffering from chronic anal fissure.
Keywords: Anal fissure; clove oil; randomized trial
Document Type: Research article
DOI: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2006.01185.x
Affiliations: 1: Mansoura Faculty of Medicine, Surgery, Mansoura University Hospital, Mansoura, Dakahlia 2: Mansoura Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharmacognosy, Mansoura, Dakahlia, Egypt
Links for this article
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 10 Jan 2009, 18:08

Thanks for the info on the clove oil. Who would have thought! I hope it helps you!

Postby cherylk » 10 Jan 2009, 18:13

Interesting about the incontinence stat and "morbidity" listed.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby mnmom » 11 Jan 2009, 11:09

The last couple days I had no blood and very little discomfort and thought the fissure was really healing up, but now this morning I had a little bit of blood again! Ugghhh! I think maybe I need to start taking MOM. I usually take ground flaxseed and metamucil, but I think that as some of you have been saying on the board, those make my poop too big! How much MOM do you think I should start out with since I have never taken it before?
mnmom
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2009, 11:36

I would take 1/4 dose. Just fill that cap that comes with it about 1/4 full and start with that. That should keep it rom being rough and scratchy when it comes out.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Jan 2009, 18:50

That's a promising study but a very small sample. I hope it pans out!
I can say that the causes of most fissures are well known, mnmom, and probably aren't related to parasites, which can easily be detected with labwork. Most people can say when and how they got theirs, for instance I know I got mine through a bad case of diahrrea, although it may have made a pre-existing small tear worse. Once a fissure develops, the rectal region gets too tight, blood flow is restricted and as a result, healing is severely impaired.
Of course, the whole process can be made worse by other pre-existing conditions like IBS, inflammation, hemorrhoids, *and* the presence of fungi or bacteria, and even hormonal fluctuations. But these are generally exacerbatory and not primary.
I hope you get to see a CRS and he/she diagnoses your fissure correctly and puts you on the path to healing! Image
Deleted User 5