My botox experience

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My botox experience

Postby Cinderella » 28 May 2007, 00:47

Maybe this is a wrong place for my subject but I put it here because botox is an optional possibility compared to the surgery.
My fissure is nearly healed. :cat: However I have sometimes small pain during BM and a feeling that I have AF in my bott. It might go weeks that I do not feel any pain in my bott but then suddenly I am having slight pain for few days and then it goes over again. However the pain is not bad at all. It is more psychological because I am always afraid if the pain will get worse. Image
Now I have foun one doctor who uses botox and I have scheduled date for that. He said that the only side effect what I might get is incontinence but it will go over in 6 months but after 2 months the situation should be already much better in the case I will suffer of that. Image What should I do now??? I am on maternity leave so incontinence would not be a big problem at the moment but do I really need botox now since my situation is much better... Image However if I do not take it now I am afraid that the situation will get worse that time when I am returning back to work. Please guys help me what would you do in my situation? I think I will go for it but I still have some doubts.
Last edited by Anonymous on 26 Jul 2007, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: My botox experience

Postby Guest » 28 May 2007, 06:39

I guess if it were me, I would probably try it now since you are still are maternity leave. It won't make anything worse and the effects are temporary if you end up having any side effects.
And you are right if you do, you will be at home to manage it and this may be a good time to deal with it hopefully permanently.
I know there are several boardies who have had botox and hopefully they will be on soon to give you more advice since I don't have any direct experience with it!
Take care!
Lecia

Postby erik » 28 May 2007, 10:05

I have had boxtox and is it not nearly as scary as it sounds. first off you do NOT become incontinent. You will have trouble holding in gas for about a week and that's usually it. after that you feel alot more relaxed down there for about 2 months (sometimes 3) and then your pressure returns back to normal as the nerves heal themselves. Mine worked great on the pain but as soon as it wore off the fissure came back so I opted for the LIS surgery which is permanent. If you fissure is nearly healed the botox may do the trick for you. There is little risk in having the injections but just make sure you go to a CRS who knows what they are doing. there is a small risk of creating a thrombosed hemorrhoid if the Dr. does not know how to administer the shots. My expereice was easy and relatively painless. didn't even need pain meds post surgery.
best of luck!
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Cinderella » 29 May 2007, 10:33

Thank you for your replies.
I have not found any CRS who uses botox. The doctor who will do it for me has specialized in plastic surgery (has plenty of experience of botox) and also in general surgery and rectal problems. He said that he has zero patients who has not became well after botox but for some patients he has been forced to put it three times because the fissure has come back after six months.
Cinderella
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 May 2007, 10:43

If you stay rigidly on the diet after the botox treatment and manage to get your stools consistent, I think you stand a good chance of not having it retear.
I have to wonder why someone's fissure returns after it has been healed for six months..I don't see how it could be related to the type of treatment they had. It would seem like if a "wound" healed, it healed, period...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 29 May 2007, 11:20

I think doctors have to give the worst case scenario so I think it is unlikely you will need repeated procedures especially since you are healing on your own. I think this will just help you get over the hump and hopefully keep it from coming back.
Please keep us updated on how things are going and how your appointment went!
Good luck with everything!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 29 May 2007, 11:30

Hi Lecia...not to hijack Cindy's thread, but are you really well enought to sit and play? I think that is fantastic!! Maybe you could play something for us on the AFSF board..
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 29 May 2007, 11:38

Yes, since we moved this one up from the basement I have been able to sit down and play several times this week. The stool has a bit more give than the stool at the other piano so it is more comfortable to sit.
Yes, what would you all like to hear????

Postby erik » 29 May 2007, 18:48

just remember that a dr. who is used to injecting botox in the forehead for wrinkles may not be used to injecting it in the anus. I would make sure he has done the procedure before and that he has some sort of board certification in colorectal issues.
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Cinderella » 26 Jul 2007, 14:01

I am extremely sorry that I have not shared my experience earlier. However I had botox like planned. It was not painful at all and I was totally normal after the procedure. Before I got botox, my bott was checked and I was surprised because the doctor did not find any sign of AF.He said that the scarf from the hemorrhoid surgery has healed well. He found also two internal hemorroids but no AF. However he said that my sympthons are referring to AF and he put the botox to me.
Two days afterwards I started to have horrible itch which lasted two weeks. That itch was so horrible that it was hard to go anywhere because I just wanted to scratch myself all the time. I think that it was probably an allergic reaction even it is not quite common to be allergic for botox.
Then about my recovery. I cannot say that botox has helped that much. I still have the AF but I think my spasms are not so bad anymore. Before I always had to push gas out if needed, now it comes out much easier which means that my spincher muscle is more relax. Today I had two BM and at both times I was bleeding. However the pain is not bad at all but I definitely still have the same AF.
Regarding incontinence I have not experienced anything at all, except when it was 3rd day after the botox and I was laughing a lot I passed a small fart accidentally but that was the only time.
I do not really know what to do in the future if my situation goes on like this. My AF is not so painful that I would need a surgery. I can live with it but is sometimes quite annoying even I have good days much more than bad days. I would like to get pregnant during next summer (there is still plenty of time). I am just wondering what to do? I do not think that it is a good idea to have the surgery in advance just to make sure that my pregnancy goes well because I can still manage wit the AF and the pain at the moment and every surgery has its owbn risks. If I would not plan a pregnancy I would not even consider the surgery at the moment, but maybe later if my situation gets worse.
However what is going to be my situation when I am pregnant? Can I deal with the AF that time? Can they do the surgery then if I will be under extreme pain? I am quite sure that I will get hemorrhoids again if I will be pregnant therefore I think that I would prefer to have the surgeries (hemorrhoids+LIS) when I have had all my kids if needed.
I still have one year time to heal myself but I think my fissure has not healed anymore in the last six months. It is just having better and worse periods and I think that it will stay forever at this level. I do not want to waite too long with the second pregnancy because we do not want to have a big year difference between the kids. One thing is sure that I will ask for c-section just to make sure that my AF is not getting worse because of giving birth. I got my first kid with c-section and my CRS told me that my situation would be so much worse if I had given birth.
Cinderella
Salt Bather