My fissure might not be a fissure...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My fissure might not be a fissure...

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 14:06

I saw a surgeon today, and he's not sure whether I have a fissure or not.
He tried to do an examination but ti was too painful, he thinks there are 3 possibilities.
I had a peri-anal abscess removed last December, and apparently even though they cut it all out, some may have moved inwards and I might have an anal abscess.
Another thought is that I might have a small tumour, he thought he could feel something, but it was too painful to continue. It may be a fissure he said, it might have re-torn so many times that the scar tissue is deep and feels like a lump.
I also have a family history of colorectal cancer, so he is playing it safe and sending me for tests.
Tomorrow I am having bloods done and then I wait for my appointment to come through. He wants me to have a GA so he can have a good look around, and he will do a colonoscopy too.
So all in all, a bit confusing as I now don't know if I have a fissure at all.
But I am very pleased that he is taking this seriously and has put me on the urgent list as a possible colorectal cancer patient (he said that will get me seen faster).
The bloods I am having done tomorrow are cell count, U&E, glucose, liver profile, calcium.
Not sure what that will tell them, but under clinical information he just wrote PR, FH and CRC Image
If it is a fissure he said I will need surgery and that will be after Christmas :D

Re: My fissure might not be a fissure...

Postby Guest » 15 Nov 2007, 14:21

Wow-it sounds like you have a lot to digest there. I am glad that he is going to get you in quickly and get this thing figured out. I know it is scary but it is better than languishing not knowing why you are in pain.

Keep us updated!

Postby juney » 15 Nov 2007, 17:57

i'm so glad you have a pro-active doctor!! it'll be really good for you to get all those tests done and rule out other problems. let us know what happens!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Nov 2007, 19:22

Anal Angel , the best of luck with all tests and results !!!!! It looks like you finally found really competent doctor and I am sure he will take good care of you ! I am also very proud of you how you handled all of those informations !!!!!!!
All the BEST :_):
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 05:34

Image I'll keep you posted.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an abscess, he said they heal the best, and I healed really quickly last time when it was on the outside, so that's a positive :D I only had packing for 3 weeks and they predicted 5.
I feel very blessed to have seen a surgeon who seems to care Image
I hope you're all having a good day Image

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 05:41

oh dears, i hope it all goes ok and its not a tumour! how did they overlook this earlier? you sound like your taking it well, alot better than i would anyways. does he think its rectal cancer then or anal cancer? coz ive read about anal cancer, i thought i had it because of this recurring fissure problem. its really really rare, and think you can only get it from HPV Virus whatever that is. so a tumour is probably unlikely.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Nov 2007, 07:20

We will all have you uppermost in our minds 'til you hear something!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 13:34

mybodyhatesme wrote:oh dears, i hope it all goes ok and its not a tumour! how did they overlook this earlier? you sound like your taking it well, alot better than i would anyways. does he think its rectal cancer then or anal cancer? coz ive read about anal cancer, i thought i had it because of this recurring fissure problem. its really really rare, and think you can only get it from HPV Virus whatever that is. so a tumour is probably unlikely.

Last time I was in too much pain for an examination and the surgeon I saw then just said it sounded like a fissure. I was a bit surprised she didn't look further, especially as she's the one who operated on my external abscess :roll: To be honest it has all the markings of a fissure. Yesterday the surgeon managed to insert a finger but had to stop :shock: , but he didn't say rectal or anal. The form just says colorectal cancer,so I guess that could be anywhere. If what he felt was a tumour, I'm guessing anal? but I might be wrong as I daren't do too much research yet :oops:
Maybe if the abscess has gone inwards that could feel like a lump? Image
My friend said I had taken it well too, I'm kinda laid back, but so sometimes go into major panic mode Image Image

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2007, 13:36

Kimbo wrote:We will all have you uppermost in our minds 'til you hear something!!

Thank You
The nurse who took my bloods today said the appointment might not be until after Christmas as colorectal isn't on the fast-track list :shock:
If they send my letter with my appointment then at least I will know when I am going :roll:

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion