My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Re: My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Postby wecc » 24 Jan 2012, 11:34

Thank you savaici for listing the name. I forgot to say that I did indeed ask and he had said he does not know any in other states and really would have no way of knowing. I believe it will be just like what I did by calling up 20 plus cRS till I find this one....believe me, its well worth it!
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 11:56

Well, maybe I'll just have to call around and see. I would think that CA would have a crs who does this type of procedure . . . maybe not, but I'll just have to start calling.
Thank you for asking, wecc. I appreciate that.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Savaici » 24 Jan 2012, 12:01

Thanks for still being around wecc. Hope you will at least pop in and just say something every few weeks or so, and not totally disappear! Especially for us thinking of S.A.D.
Though I am in Maine, I am happy to take off and go down there twice if necessary. Or more times, if it comes to that! I have only visited NY airport, so am already looking into where to stay, and all that sort of thing.
Sweet, I'm glad that you are going to do the ring-around the CRSs in your area. I cannot believe that the doctor in NYC is the ONLY one in the whole of the US that does this. I am glad that he is going to put a paper in next year. Then maybe this type of surgery will be trained for by CRSs too, in the US. I am saving everything and anything I find on S.A.D. on the internet.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 12:29

savaici, please let me know if you come up with anything about that . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Savaici » 26 Jan 2012, 14:08

From http://www.origynrx.com/technical_reviews dated 2002, but even more relevant now with more standardized anal dilations being done. An excellent review. 
'AGA Technical Review on the Diagnosis and Care of Patients With Anal Fissure' (AGA is the American Gastroenterological Association). 
A portion of the review had an interesting piece, specifically relating to Dr Sohn's method:
'Despite the excellent results reported in some series, anal dilatation literature must be read with caution. The exact technique varies between, and sometimes within, series. Important variables, such as the extent and duration of sphincter stretch or the type of anesthesia, are often neither specified nor standardized. In one exception to this rule, Sohn et al. carefully standardized anal dilatation, using either an anal retractor or pneumatic balloon, under local anesthesia with sedation; 94% of patients healed.' 
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Guest » 26 Jan 2012, 22:13

Sav...
I am starting to consider travel to NY as well, even though I still don't know how I would make that happen. Any info you collect on places to stay, etc. would be so appreciated. Likewise anything I find ou I'll pass on too...

Postby Savaici » 27 Jan 2012, 07:54

Hi there jr,
I am definitely on the route plan for NY Image . Hotels, time have to be there, flying out of the frozen north where I live are all being researched at this moment. I am in pain nearly all day (or was yesterday until bed in the evening), but I am prepared to take it all to be RID OF THIS HELL!!! I had been eating the tiniest piece of chocolate each evening and cut that out last night. BM was a tiny bit easier this morning. Whether that was coincidence, or I was having some sort of flare up these last few days, who knows!
Yesterday was looking - in between research of the SAD - at Long Island. Still have not found where the two offices are on the map, but will today :) . Then I will research everything involved in getting there, etc.
I have been worrying about the fact that I have a lot of scar tissue in the 'region', but beginning to get that out of my system, as it is the internal sphincter that they dilate, so should presumably not affect the outside. One of the reasons I did not have Botox was that it is know to affect some of us with hemmorhoids... I have too many surgeries for THAT to add it to my list of nasties.
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Jan 2012, 09:04

Good luck with that, savaici!
I'm sure you'll do well. If I had that option closer to CA, I would have given that a try, too.
Keep us posted!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 27 Jan 2012, 09:48

Sav...
I'm in the same boat with the constant pain so it's making the research, etc., a bit more slow going... I live in CA so traveling that far would have a lot of challenges associated with it, especially with all of my health problems. I havent actually traveled anywhere in years because it's just too hard. But with LIS just not a good option in my case I seem to only have 2 choices... Live this way ... Or find a way to get to NY... I'm still going to try and find a local CRS who does the SAD but it's looking less and less promising.
I managed to find the clinics on a map last night and I do have a friend very familiar with Long Island, so hopefully it will start to look more do-able ... I'm going to also talk to my current doctor about all of this at my next visit on the 7th to see what kind of role she can play back here.

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Jan 2012, 09:58

j -
Distance (to NY) has been my hang-up, too, with regard to traveling there for the AD. Believe me, if it were closer and more do-able, I would certainly be open to that procedure.
My crs (#3) yesterday seemed to think my upcoming LIS and fissurectomy would not be anything to worry much about . . . however, I can't say I'm not without concern. It's not that I'm worried about having surgery - it's that I hope I can heal without problems or complications that make me even more miserable.
So, we shall see. I don't know . . . this is all frightening and can be depressing. We all just want to feel better and get our lives back, but it doesn't seem like that's always easy with this type of problem.
FWIW, I called up to SF a couple of days ago, and I found a crs - Carolyn Million - who (accordinging to her office gal) has great success with AFs. Now, that's just what I was told - but, if you're in that area, it couldn't hurt to give her a call.
I just want my problem dealt with. I had this almost four years ago - but it healed up okay then, only to come back (with a vengeance!) last October. I have no reason to believe it won't come back again, unless I make a few changes - diet, and hopefully, this upcoming surgery will ease things up a bit in there.
I truly hope you can find some help and comfort, in a way that is suitable for your health situation. I'm sending you a hug and my thoughts/prayers. I truly pray for everyone here - that we'll find peace AND healing.
Let me know how you're doing . . . Image
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure