New Guy Here

How to get it down pat?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Guy Here

Postby soundthealarm » 25 Oct 2014, 05:37

Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole anal fissure thing. At least we are all in it together right? Anyways....I had been experiencing uncomfortable stools for a couple of weeks, and through healing and regression decided finally to see a doctor. After an uncomfortable..."check" my lovely Doc told me that I indeed had an anal fissure.

My issue is how to get down soft stools completely pat? I have been reading the forum which has given me great ideas, but my bad days seem rather inconsistent. As of this week, although I tend to have a bit of blood during movements, there is little to no pain whatsoever during or after. I THINK it's getting better, but as I try to eat healthier (more fruits, veggies, fiber, LOTS of water, etc.) my stools are getting harder? I know that this may be due to TOO much fiber, but I'm afraid of cutting back. Anyways, I believe my fissure is probably not a major one. I am going to probably try the magnesium+stool softener route now, as I am frustrated with inconsistent results of BMs. About two weeks back I had no pain no blood no issues for an ENTIRE week, but the crazy thing was that I wasn't even being very careful about what I ate! I will also try to keep from drinking. Originally it made things go GREAT the next day. I truly think that with a week or two of no issues my body will actually be able to heal up. Since this is the case, and I haven't yet seemed to get the best diet down pat, I would like to add the stool softener+magnesium.

If anybody has had somewhat similar experience, please let me know! My main issue with my BMs seems to be the "plug" where the beginning scrapes and is hard, but the rest is smooth and carefree. This is so obnoxious to me because I feel like I am so close to fixing all of this, but have not yet figured out a way to get rid of the $%*@!$ "plug"

I suppose finally I hear that some people like coffee to get things going, but also saw other posts talking about how caffeine might also be not so beneficial? I haven't exactly gotten down pat my pattern yet, so I'm still trying to learn my way through this...

Anyways finally again I would like to thank everybody on this forum, and the forum itself! This community understands...I hope that we can all get through this, whether quickly or slowly. Thank you all!
soundthealarm

Topics: 1

Re: New Guy Here

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Oct 2014, 08:22

Hi soundthealarm,
Sorry you've been struggling - looks like you are going along the right lines. I agree that you may be eating too much fibre, and that a stool softener like magnesium or miralax may be the way to go.

Yes, the "plug" is a very familiar problem. It's the oldest stool in the body, and the colon has had lots of time to remove water from it. Sometimes going twice a day helps but then there's the additional irritation to the fissure. Plus we don't always have control of how often we go!

I think the main problem with caffeine is that it dehydrates you, so drink plenty of water and you should be OK with a moderate caffeine intake. Caffeine being a stimulant probably helps to keep things moving through the gut.

You could keep a food and drink diary, and note your stool consistency, presence of blood, pain etc. This can help you figure out what works for you.

Did your doctor prescribe nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerine? It's standard practice to prescribe one of those, and also maybe lidocaine topical painkiller. I think it's super important to keep pain levels down, because pain can cause spasms which are excruciating in themselves. You don't mention that you are having spasms, so that is good.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: New Guy Here

Postby soundthealarm » 25 Oct 2014, 23:43

Hi, Scientist,
I have started to take magnesium, and cutting out wheat and other breads, as well as drinking lots of water. Had some coffee today, but had BM in the morning so we'll see how that goes when it comes next. Anyways, the diary sounds like a good idea actually! Thanks for the reply! The doctor didn't give me anything. I went to a school clinic, and they didn't give me anything, just told me this was common, and that if it is still here in a month or so, that I should come back. I don't feel like having another finger up and around there, so no thanks! Anyways, she just told me that I should increase fiber intake and all the things that I already knew....so at least I know what it is, and know that it isn't cancer or something even more frightening.

The pain is more of scratching for me, and sometimes some itching afterwords. Today there was no blood and I feel fairly confident that my diet is going ok now! Of course, only time will tell. I have never experienced spasms, so I suppose at least I have that going for me. Again, I am FAIRLY certain (just by personal feel) that my fissure is minor, nothing quite as serious as some other users seem to experience.

I also use a hot washcloth after going, and before IF I can plan it, but other than that, just diet seems to improve me sometimes. Any other information you have for me I would certainly appreciate! Thank you all so much.
soundthealarm

Topics: 1