New to the board & looking for some help!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the board & looking for some help!

Postby Guest » 17 Mar 2008, 16:58

Hi Everyone-
My name is Nancy and I'm a recurring fissure sufferer. Here's a history of my problems. Got my first fissure in 2003 and immediately had LIS surgery. Had a day or two of bad pain, but then started to really feel good. Thought the problem was gone until a year to the day later, the fissure was back! I tried nifedipine for a while, it did nothing. Had botox injections in January 2005 and finally started healing sometime in April. I did really well for a while, had a few episodes through 2006, but they seemed to never be really bad and were gone in 2-3 days. Then in October 2007 the fissure cam back, blood and all. And since then I've been going a couple of weeks and then it comes back. Until last Tuesday. I've been in pain ever since and feel like I'm losing my mind. I've been living on All Bran and triscuits for the last week, I'm very depressed and am royally confused about what to do. One doctor wants to do another LIS surgery (he feels the first one was not done properly) as well as remove some hemorrhoids that he feels might be keeping things from coming out smoothly. Another doc wants me to have a manomotry test, colonoscopy and then depending on the results either do another LIS or Advancement Flap Surgery. I'm sooooo confused - I don't know whose advice to take. Am going to another doctor in NYC on Thursday for yet another opinion. However, in the meantime, the fissure is not being treated, I'm in pain, and I'm about to lose it! Is there anyone out there who has a recurring fissure, a 2nd LIS surgery, or any information about the Advancement Flap Surgery??? Please help before my husband and kids find me curled up in the fetal position in the corner of my bedroom!!

Re: New to the board & looking for some help!

Postby buttgirl » 17 Mar 2008, 17:05

Hi NF,
So sorry to hear about all your pain. By now, you probably know how best to deal. Are you on nitro or nifedipine? That might help tide you over.
The coloscopy sounds like a good idea. there could be a few reasons why it is coming back, including that the first LIS was done improperly or an inflammatory bowl condition or even allergies. do you notice if prednisone or benadryl make any difference to the fissure?
an advancement flap sounds like a wonderful idea. I begged for one before LIS (i'm four days out), but the drs did nothing. I find a lot has to do with how good your sugeon/treatment is. i went for two years in horrible pain because of a horrible insurance plan. check out your dr ont he AMA, the assoc of colorectal surgeons, etc...My first two were completely incompetent.
can you take iburpofen. that and hot baths really helped on the worst days.
Hang in there. you've come to a place where there are a lot of people who can sympathize.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 17 Mar 2008, 17:15

Sorry to hear about how much pain you are in! I have felt just like that and wondered can there be anyone else out there that can relate to this pain?

I think looking at all your options is a good idea by seeing different doctors and getting guidance about how to treat it. When the fissure goes away does the pain go away as well?

As far as pain control I know not much cuts it but I do like 800 mg of Ibuprofen and baths. You could also get some lidocaine to help numb the area. A heating pad alternating with a cold pack can help too. Maybe ask your doctor about a muscle relaxant like valium or flexeril. I am currently on flexeril and it has helped with the spasms that I am haveing from hemorrhoid surgery in January.

There is another boardie who has had 2 LIS operations so you are not alone.

Keep your bowels soft, avoid anything that doesnt digest fully like nuts, chips, seeds or anything you know could be a possible irritant. If you can manage take some time to read our other threads here and you will see our own special "hell" we have all been through.

Postby Guest » 17 Mar 2008, 17:34

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I have had only one doc that actually cared enough to give me something for the pain. It's called dibucaine (much better than lidocaine). It's a hot/cold feeling, but really does a good job at numbing things up. However, I don't want to just mask the pain, I want this fissure gone...forever! Does anyone know if this is this even possible? or is this the rest of my life? Has anyone out there had the Advancement Flap Sugergy and what was the outcome? Would you recommend it?

Postby motherluch » 17 Mar 2008, 20:44

Hey everyone!
Nancyfezz is my friend who lives around the corner from me...I told her how helpful this group has been for me so treat her well!!!!
If you all remember the great feeling I had after I went to the Dr. in NYC, how completey reassuring, compassionate and intelligent he was... well I am taking her to him on Thursday, hopefully he will be as good for her as he was for me.
Hang in there Nancy, it is just a few days away :)
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Jen » 17 Mar 2008, 20:58

Hi Nancy!
Welcome to the board! I am fairly new here as well. I am sorry you are going through this! I was just diagnosed with my fissure 6 weeks ago (after suffering off and on for a year). I don't know anything about advancement flap...but I am curious now. I have not heard about anyone having that on this board.
I hope you feel better soon! I would try to get all the opinions you can before making a decision. I plan on getting a second opinion this month as well.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Fissulyna » 17 Mar 2008, 21:05

Dear Nancy , so sorry to hear that you suffer so much - just horrible what is happening to you : (((. I am sure MotherL. will take good care of you ; ), but I also think that doctor who suggested Manometry and Advanced flap must be extremely competent since both procedures are usually complete "mystery" 99% of the CRSs.
Manometry wold measure the tone of your sphincter and give you exact answer if new LIS is necessary and also how much should be cut.
I dreamed of doctor who would do that since I read about that only in medical papers. In all studies about fissure treatments they ALWAYS do that before proceeding to do anything.
Colonoscopy in your case would also be advisable to rule out other conditions that could cause fissures - why do another LIS or Botox if there is something else that should be treated first.
I would have full confidence in that CRS - as I said - as Chris - I would prostrate myself in front of his office LOL !!!!
I hope that you will find help fast !!!!!! We all know what physical and emotional pain fissures and hemies can cause : (((...
Best of luck !
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby val » 18 Mar 2008, 01:57

Hi there,
sorry you're in so much pain. I haven't any experience of the two procedures but they sound a good option. If a good surgeon does the LIS it seems to work like magic, so maybe you were just unlucky with your CRS.
Everyone on here knows just how horrible this is for you so at least you're not alone!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 18 Mar 2008, 06:52

Thank you all for your kind words! I had a rather alarming morning....not nearly as much pain, but the most blood I've ever experienced. I'm feeling a little nervous about it - okay, I actually feel sick to my stomach! Should I be very concerned or does it just go with the territory? Also, does anyone know who had the 2 LIS surgeries - would love to talk to him/her about it.

Postby juney » 18 Mar 2008, 09:51

i got your private msg, nancy, and replied before i read this post. to sum it up, my experience seems very atypical compared to everyone else. i had 2 (unsuccesful) LIS surgeries within 4 months of each other last year.

I still deal with the fissure everyday (though the pain and soreness has become minimal, and doesn't interfere much with my daily life, since i began using MOM everyday last November). I basically plan to "manage" the fissure with MOM for the rest of my life, unless something miraculous happens at some point. i'm weary of more drs and more procedures.

i think you have nothing to lose by trying a 2nd LIS, or whatever procedure your new dr may suggest. you were healed (albeit off and on) for quite awhile before. i'm sure you can heal again! talk to you soon
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36