Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Newbie

Postby motherluch » 03 Mar 2008, 07:09

I would definitely switch to MOM. I have heard from several people that colace can have an opposite effect on some, including myself. I t amde everything hard for me and impossible to go, I too, have suffered from impactions, that is what got me here in the first place, it was awful, to say the least!
I would really try the Milk of Magnesia, it is jsut about fool proof to get your stool soft, and easy to go. The trick is finding the right dose, my Dr. suggests starting with 2 Tblsp. at night bewfore bed, and working your way up from there.
I hate to sound so redundant, but I use something called Natural Calm, instead of MOM, it is a powdered form of Magnesium, totally natural, and works very well for me. You can look it up on the internet, and if you want any further info on it, feel free to send me a private message and I'll explain my experience with you.
Good luck!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby motherluch » 03 Mar 2008, 07:11

Wow. I need to slow down my typing, sorry about that last post, I really do know how to spell, and type!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby Guest » 03 Mar 2008, 09:38

Oh my goodness, that sounds horrific. I can't imagine how scared you must be. I am glad you are getting that checked out. You should be able to have bms without impactions if you aren't constipated. What are you taking? In a pinch like when I have to take more narcotics I will take 1 senna pill that is a natura laxative to increase mobiity of the colon. It isn't good for long term use but it might be called for in this case. There are enemas that can be used to help break up the fecal matter too. Also gycerin suppositories can help soften it up. They even make baby size versions if you are having a hard time getting anything in.

If you have to I would say just go in the tub and worry about the mess later. My doctor did say that after surgery you can look worse down there than before because of the trauma and swelling so what you have now will not be what you are left with,

Postby juney » 03 Mar 2008, 10:39

oh man! what you're going thru sounds so horrible! i've never had fecal impaction, but in the beginning i would have such hard BMs that they would get stuck part of the way out. pushing so hard to get them out is what caused my fissure in the first place :( talk about pain!! i'm sorry you're dealing with this, especially right after surgery. the drainage you mentioned really worries me....i hope the dr has some words of encouragement for you!

at the risk of sounding like a broken record, i would totally encourage you to use MOM. it's completely taken away my constipation problems and hard BMs - which even stool softeners didn't help me with. good luck!!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby buttgirl » 03 Mar 2008, 11:48

Perhaps, I am too concerned but if I were you I would go to the DR ASAP. Unless smelly drainage is the usualy for your UC, you may have an abscess and that may be causeing you to feel sick. The only time I had abnormal drainage was when i had an abscess. Has your dr put you on flagyl before? You might want to ask about it.
The tag of skin could just be a skin tag. I have had those pop out of what seems like no where. Unless it is painful, it seems like the least of your problems now.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 03 Mar 2008, 23:23

Thanks for the help and concern. It sounds like I need to try MOM or something else. I had my appointment today and I let out a scream during my exam...eek! I knew I had been having pain but the exam confirmed that nothing has healed so far. In fact, that skin tag thingy is a thrombosed hemorrhoid.:shock: The first thing the doctor said was "Great a throm. hemo. along with it!" and then excused himself. I think my scream made him nervous? I was lying there buns up thinking 'man, am I in trouble!' He came back in and told me what he saw. He said things are slowly moving along as they should with the exception of the hemo. He gave me nitro ointment for it and said that with the botox, the healing will be slow versus the LIS (which he does not do on his patients?). He said that the clot in the hemo will slowly subside on it's own but that it is where the major pain is coming from. He said the biopsy was negative for cancer and crohn's so that was a relief. He said it was a garden variety fissure. (with thorns I might add) We didn't talk about the drainage much but that it is still expected. I told the nurse about the odor but I forgot to bring it up when the doctor came back in. I was still recovering from the exam. He didn't seem to think anything was there like that...I assume. I do already have an RX for Flagyl from my GI doc. I have also been putting Epsom salt in my sitz bath now and it feels great until I get out of the tub. I have been taking one Vicodin every 4 hours during the day and then two at night. One doesn't take away the pain but I don't like taking two because I get really tired and out of it...sometimes I do though out of necessity. I have Lidocaine gel and Cortisone foam for the bum as well. It feels like a job trying to keep on top of things to heal. I think before my surgery I got backed up from not going or not finishing because of the pain and then I was only able to do one enema before my surgery...I could barely take the pain to do the one. Prior to surgery, I was taking meds to stop diarrhea from my UC so it has been a wild bowel management program! I really appreciated all of your responses and support. No one else could ever really understand. Image

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2008, 09:33

I am so sorry! Cute picture by the way! Is that your hubby?
Sometimes anal procedures can cause thrombosed hemorrhoids. I got one from a banding and I think Buttgirl got one from botox? (is that right, Chris)? They take so long to go away but they will eventually subside.

Did he not recoemmend lancing it to get the clot out? or Was it an internal hemorrhoid?

Yeah, I live in my tub. I seriously wish I could fine a way to safely put my laptop in there and type to you all.

I think the best thing you can do is keep up with the baths, and keep your poos extra soft.

I know you must be in a world of hurt, especially if the vicodin doesn't even cut it. I take vicoprofen which is combined with ibuprofen which in an antiinflammatory. I take two vicoprofens and two regular advils after I go and sit in the tub.

Hang in there Image

Postby buttgirl » 04 Mar 2008, 11:32

I wonder why your dr does not do LIS. I had one that said he would not operate on crohn's patients. Is it the same for UC? If your CRS won't, perhaps another will. I understand that the risk of incontinence goes up for people with UC, though. I may be wrong.
Glad you don't have crohn's. I too was recently cleared and it is a relief.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Sorerumpie » 05 Mar 2008, 00:33

Pcdlj, Let us know how your doc visit went today .
We're all hoping it went well, and your recovery is fast.
I remember having fistula surgery and the blood and drainage afterwards - it's quite alarming but it healed quickly. I went through two full boxes of my neighbor's maxi-pads....... she found it amusing - I didn't.
I wondered if the surgeon had turned me into a woman .
I hope you can relax a little and trust it to heal, it helps if you get alot of rest and attempt to ignor worrying about it for now.
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Mar 2008, 10:31

But Sorerumpie, your neighbor sounds like a very generous gal!!
Deleted User 5