Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Postby Guest » 23 Feb 2008, 01:05

Image Hi, I just had a fissurectomy, botox and skin tag removal today. I am starting to get over the honeymoon phase (anesthesia is wearing off) and I am beginning to worry about what to expect. I am a nurse and before all of this started I don't recall much about this AF business in nursing school. Hence, I have been thrown completely off guard by it. I have done alot of reading on the web but not much on the personal side of it. So glad to have found this site! My AF started in early Jan. 2008 after a flare of my ulcerative colitis, I thought I had a hemorrhoid...I wish that was it! I never knew about the kind of nerves that existed down there! I feel like I have given birth to a village of small people by now. Anyway, they are also trying to rule out Crohn's. Hopefully, this biopsy will be negative for that. It is weird but after my surgery I felt so good not having the pain for the first time in weeks but slowly I am feeling it creep back. My pain med (Darvocet) has been making me itch and throw up but by golly I am still taking it religiously in dreadful fear of what may come when the anesthesia wears off. I am so scared to go to the bathroom again. I never realized how much anxiety can be related to a BM! Well, thanks for the great site!

Re: Newbie

Postby Fissulyna » 23 Feb 2008, 01:41

Hi there :D,
Welcome to our site !!! I am sorry that you did not find us before the procedure because it could have helped you with managing symptoms and maybe give you other options than surgery , but you are now here and you can be sure that we will all do as much as possible to help you, give you support and answer any question you might have :elmo: !!!
I had LIS and fissurectomy about 2 months ago and I my fissure healed by now. I don't know how much relief Botox will offer you regarding spasms, it usually needs couple of days to kick in. Because you did not have LIS, your first BM might be painful, but nothing that you already did not experience, so
try not to worry too much. My first BM was 90% less painful than before the surgery but again, I had LIS and my sphincter was completely relaxed which helped immensely.
Since you had fissurectomy, it will prolong your recovery somewhat, but it also assures that fissure heals correctly and completely lessening possibility of abscess and fistula formation. Good that you got rid of skin tags because they are nuisance !!! I wish my CRS did that too.
All in all, try to rest as much as possible, stay hydrated , take stool softeners or Metamucil (whatever your doctor suggested) and don't overdo pain meds because they can cause constipation and you certainly don't want that Image . Take your baths often - they will help you heal faster and help with pain.
I wish you all the best and may you heal fast and completely Image
Again, welcome and keep us posted !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 Feb 2008, 07:21

PCDLJ, I can only add that the pain will return in all likelihood, but now you'll be set up to heal. The conditions for healing obviously just did not exist for you like it didn't for so many of us. So for the next several weeks while the fissure heals, you'll still have some pain and painful BMs but that should lessen each day. Once you get the botox you're going to get some major relief, if spasms have been a problem for you. The botgox should kick in in 2-3 days, I think. But it won't lessen any pain you have directly at the fissure site. Just hang in there and stay off your feet as much as possible!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 23 Feb 2008, 10:20

Yes, that area is so innervated that even a small wound can feel like you've had your butt sawn through. There are a lot of great threads here where people discuss their experiences with the surgery that you will find helpful.

As far as pain control, I would maybe take some ibuprofen to help you make it through to the next darvocet dose. You could also see if your doctor would switch you to a hydrocodone based pain reliever as many people (myself included) have problems tolerating oxycodone. Just make sure you don't get constipated and take your baths.

I haven't had this particularly surgery but I know that the others here who have, have been pleased with the results. You just need to give yourself time to heal!

Postby Guest » 23 Feb 2008, 14:53

Thanks everyone! Really nice to have some support from people that really know what it is like. I have a great supportive family and fiance but too much booty talk gets to be embarrassing and kind of gross for them. I am having pain but not too bad. I threw up again today so I am going to take your suggestion and switch to Vicodin. The doctor gave me both because I know Vicodin makes me itch but I was afraid Darvocet wouldn't be strong enough. They told me to not take Advil for a couple of weeks. That is usually what works for me...800mg will take care of most pain for me. I will just take a little Benadryl with the Vicodin. No signs of a BM yet, that just really wigs me out to think about it. Yes, I wish I would have found this site sooner! I look forward to being any kind of help and support for you all. Have a great weekend!

Postby val » 24 Feb 2008, 12:59

Hi there!
I had surgery about 6 weeks ago (LIS, skintag removal, fistulotomy) and the thought of the first BM made me nearly faint with fright, but it wasn't that bad. I think once you've had the fissure NOTHING is that bad!
Why did they tell you not to take advil, if thats what helps you?
Try to rest and relax as much as possible, things will be so much better in a few days-the worst is nearly over!
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2008, 17:00

Hey welcome. This website is a godsend. I'm a nurse too and I don't remember anything about AF in nursing school. Now I think I know more than my Doctor. What kind of nurse are you?

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2008, 22:13

Hi, I am in brain cancer research. This week has been really rough. I didn't go for awhile and then when I finally did I had to remove my fecal impaction. I almost passed out the first time. It took three times in two days before I felt any relief of the pressure. It was harder than clay. I know that doing that was not part of the plan but it would only come out so far and then get stuck causing unbearable pain so as sick as it was...I had to. My BM's have been varied and very painful. Not sure what the Botox is doing. Now I have a large piece of skin hanging out (hemorrhoid?), constant smelly drainage and as of today the anus is looking pretty weird down there. It is like there is a second one. I didn't have a sphincterectomy but it looks like it? I have been doing the ice and sitz bath stool softners. It is hard to sit for long. I have a constant burning raw feeling. I don't know how I am doing. Does this stuff sound normal? I still have the bloody drainage too. My post-op check is tomorrow.

Postby Guest » 02 Mar 2008, 22:31

pcdlj wrote:Hi, I am in brain cancer research. This week has been really rough. I didn't go for awhile and then when I finally did I had to remove my fecal impaction. I almost passed out the first time. It took three times in two days before I felt any relief of the pressure. It was harder than clay. I know that doing that was not part of the plan but it would only come out so far and then get stuck causing unbearable pain so as sick as it was...I had to. My BM's have been varied and very painful. Not sure what the Botox is doing. Now I have a large piece of skin hanging out (hemorrhoid?), constant smelly drainage and as of today the anus is looking pretty weird down there. It is like there is a second one. I didn't have a sphincterectomy but it looks like it? I have been doing the ice and sitz bath stool softners. It is hard to sit for long. I have a constant burning raw feeling. I don't know how I am doing. Does this stuff sound normal? I still have the bloody drainage too. My post-op check is tomorrow.

Postby Fissulyna » 03 Mar 2008, 01:00

Oh my God, it sound horrible :( ! I can only imagine pain and frustration and the stress level :pale: !
Good that you have app. tomorrow - that smelly discharge is not a good sine Image ! I know it sounds crazy, but i wish you had LIS because you would be in much better shape now , I think. I had LIS and fissurectomy and was healed rapidly.
The biggest obstacle in your case are those hard BMs . You just must find the way of keeping them constantly soft at least until you completely heal and than about year more to make sure that fissure site heals completely to the original strength.
What are you using as a stool softener??? Did you try Milk of Magnesia or Miralax ??? Many members are very satisfied with results with those ! You have to resolve that part - it is of greatest importance. No amount of baths or Botox will help you heal if you get constipation of such magnitude :( !!!
Are you taking narcotics for pain - they can be VERY constipating!
Let us know how exam went - I hope you have good CRS that will resolve all your problems FAST !!!
All the best Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61