Newly registered from Brisbane, Australia

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

9 days post LIS

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2008, 08:37

Hi Lecia
Thanks for your welcome the other day. It's been 9 days since my LIS. The pain during BMs has been excrutiating, basically the same as what is was prior to the LIS. From what I've read in this great forum, my experience is very normal and hopefully soon I can expect the pain to substantially subside. My wife used to comment how cute my bum is, but I can tell you it's not cute having a bum that causes hellish pain. My wife, Gina, has never had a problem with her bum and although she's very supportive & sympathetic it helps to talk to people her have/are going through this agonising experience. So thanks for your kind words of advice & support, and I hope you are doing well.
Regards
Brett

Re: Newly registered from Brisbane, Australia

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2008, 10:18

Hey Brett,

I am wondering if we need to start a support forum for our spouses so they can talk to each other about having to deal with our anorectal obsession.

I have yet to find anyone (except for you guys) that appreciates how difficult the mornings are. My anxiety starts the night before because I know when I wake up I have to go through the whole bathroom song and dance again.

I am sorry you are having excrutiating pain. Is it spasm like or from the incision? Can you take some ibuprofen? Maybe some numbing cream like lidocaine? It will get better-just keep believing! Image

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2008, 03:36

Hi Lecia
Great idea about a forum for our spouses. Maybe they could then discuss amoung themselves all the moaning & groaning that us fissure owners do.
Yes, I've been taking ibuprofen after each BM but it only takes a bit of the pain away. Other painkillers have codeine in them which causes constipation. Panadol is useless, like putting a bandaid on an amputated limb. A hot salty bath seems to work the best for me, but the minute I hop out the pain returns. But ibuprofen does help a bit I must admit.
I empathise with your night-time anxiety. You want to just shut your eyes & sleep but the thought of a BM first thing in the morning kind of puts to rest any chance of having sweet dreams.
Hang in there girl & thanks again for your thoughts & prayers.
Regards
Brett

Postby Guest » 25 Jan 2008, 10:03

Have you tried taking the prescription dose of ibuprofen? I take four 200 mg tablets and that makes it the prescription dose of 800 mg. You certainly don't want to do that forever and on an empty stomach though.

Yeah, the narcotics can be constipating but I am on them now since I had surgery. I try to take the least amount I can get by with. And I take stool softeners to kind of counteract it. I am not sure what panadol is. If it is like acetomenophin then it is indeed useless!

Postby Guest » 26 Jan 2008, 07:30

Hi Lecia
Yes I take the same quantity of ibuprofen as you - 4 x 200mg tablets per day. Panadol is paracetomol (500mg per tablet).
I'm happy to say that my BMs today (1 in the morning & 1 this afternoon) were slightly less painful than what I had been experiencing. However, the pain afterwards was about the same as usual, even after having a long hot & salty bath. It's day 11 since my LIS, so hopefully I'll feel less & less pain from now on.
Great to hear from you & stay strong. May the force be with you.
Brett

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Jan 2008, 19:23

Brett, your healing curve post LIS may or may not be straightforward. Don't get too down if you don't heal exactly "on schedule."
It's truly horrible when the pain lasts that long, even after a bath. I know what it's like!
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 27 Jan 2008, 13:52

brett, i second what kim said...don't worry if you're not healing "on schedule". in fact, there is no healing schedule for LIS. I know what the frustration feels like. i've had 2 LIS surgeries and neither proved successful in healing my fissure. it's been 4 months since my 2nd surgery and i still deal with it daily. LIS is definitely not a 100% successful "cure-all".
but don't lose hope yet, it's only been 11 days! keep up with the baths and the diet and everything else you've been doing to minimize your pain. it is possible that your surgery will be successful eventually! you're only 11 days out so it seems too soon to worry.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36