Oh my goodness. Pecans.

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Oh my goodness. Pecans.

Postby coconut » 02 Mar 2013, 15:51

I'm in a lot of pain today. I have no idea what triggered this. BM seemed normal. Have been following the same regime. As in the past, I've soothed myself with cruising the internet, looking for cures. This is what I found: http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/patient_41.htm
Pecans! Or picahhhhhns for you southerners. (In the US. Its an in joke I guess.)
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Oh my goodness. Pecans.

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 16:13

Well I'm off to buy some peecans (I'm from Maine ).do you think they will hurt coming out since I'm on miralax?
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby coconut » 02 Mar 2013, 16:24

I have no idea. I'll tell you tomorrow morning... or maybe the morning after. LOL.
I gave up nuts all together because of what I read on these boards. I think it was good, on the whole, to become more aware of the fact that some hard foods are also going to be hard to pass. But I think I went overboard on giving up nuts all together.
Pecans are pretty soft nuts. I'm eating some now. They are soft and chew up easily, unlike, say, an almond. Pecans contain arginine, a protien that is essential for healing, as well as zinc and vit E. I was also just reading an article that was talking about general chronic wound healing. They said that a higher protein diet was essential in chronic cases because your body diverts so many resources to healing. This is a requirement that will probably take a little forethought for those of us who eat every little or are vegetarians, like myself.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 02 Mar 2013, 16:26

Looking back on my diet this week, I've lowered my protein intake because I've been focusing on the bran the that doctor ordered me to eat. I was a little worse yesterday and a lot worse today. Today is just a week after I altered my diet slightly, just enough time for a mild problem with protein to show up. And I've been craving meat, as a long time vegetarian, that's really bizarre to me. (Also, confusing, since I find the idea of killing directly for my food to be against my personal ethics.) I'm going to amp up my veggie protein and fat intake and hope that I can heal better.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 16:33

I have been eating about ten pistachios a day. I think I will switch to pecans. I've never even tried a pecan before.i was over 215pounds a couple months ago and now I'm 190.5 since I got my fissure
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 17:56

I bought some slow roasted pecans. Delicious! Do you think they lose any nutrients when they are roasted?
delasama
King Fissure

Postby coconut » 02 Mar 2013, 17:59

Most nuts have inhibitory enzymes that prevent them from being well digested when they are raw. (Nature's way of trying to get them to survive to grow into a new plant.) To counter this enzyme, you need to cook or soak the nuts. I'm sure some of the nutrients are going to be reduced while you cook them, but it is essential if you want your body to absorb the nutrients at all.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby coconut » 02 Mar 2013, 18:00

BTW - I love that you weren't kidding when you said you were going to go get pecans now. That's totally something I would do. Image
I'm off to go grocery shopping. I'm going to give myself 5 days on a grain-free, higher fat, higher protein diet and see how I feel. I'll still have a ton of fiber. I'll be eating lots of beans, veggies and fruit.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 18:07

Cantaloupe is soft and I just learned that is full of fiber
delasama
King Fissure

Postby delasama » 02 Mar 2013, 18:08

Pecan power!!! Lol