Ok, Surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks....questions!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Ok, Surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks....questions!!

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 11:37

Do I want spinal anaesthesia or to be knocked ou?. I'm thinking knocked out, but I seem to be having some issues with my throat and I heard this method can give you a sore throat.
Is it possible to sit in a chair with a cushion after the surgery or will I be tied to bed for the first couple of day?
My Dr. told me that I'd have some discomfort and that he'd give me pain pills, but said I'd be pretty much free to do what I want depending on how I tolerated the pain. He did say give it 2 weeks before exercising.
I also may need a fissurectomy...can anyone else share their experience of this?
Thanks!

Re: Ok, Surgery is scheduled in 2 weeks....questions!!

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 11:46

I can't answer your questions as I haven't had the op, but I just wanted to wish you luck for yours :D
I have had a GA before though, and it did hurt my throat. I had a sore throat for a week after where the tube went down :|

Postby Guest » 30 Sep 2007, 16:42

Chris:
My advice get knocked out. Ask the doctor if you will be intubated. That is what might cause you discomfort in your throat. I was not for my Botox because it only took 10mins. The LIS might not take that long either so they might put you under without the breathing tube. Call and ask the nurse. Hope this is helpful.
Take Care
Patty

Postby happyass » 02 Oct 2007, 14:42

i was told that they would twilight me and then localize the area out. i was not given the option of general or spinal block.
you may want to check that out as an option chris.
there are members here who did all this in the doc's office; not even in an OR without being knocked out at all.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2007, 14:48

The GA takes longer to work itself out of your system. I had GA a few months ago and was intubated. I did have a little bit of a scratchy throat but with the pain killers they give you afterwards it wasn't a big deal.
I would say get the GA since you may need a fissurectomy on top of LIS though. :IMO:

Postby juney » 02 Oct 2007, 17:21

i was put completely under both times. i wouldn't even consider it any other way. as soon as i got in the OR and saw the bed and straps they were gonna put my legs in, i went into panic mode. they knocked me out in a matter of minutes. i still don't really know what position i was in when they actually did the surgery, and i'm fine with that. haha.
my throat hasn't been sore at all.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 03 Oct 2007, 08:39

Thanks everyone....I think I'm going GA.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Oct 2007, 10:27

I'm thinking knocked out, but I seem to be having some issues with my throat and I heard this method can give you a sore throat.
I had only the tiniest hint that I had been intubated. It was no problem for me at all.
And I avoided sitting for several days. Lay around on the couch and take it easy!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 03 Oct 2007, 14:03

ithurtstosit wrote: And I avoided sitting for several days. Lay around on the couch and take it easy!
Kim

Kim,
Was that due to pain or because you wanted the best possible healing situation??
Also, what do you think of the idea of borrow a massage table from a friend of mine to intermittently lay on face down, to read and watch tv (properly set up)? I'm just trying to gauge from people who went through the surgery if this would have been a great thing to have, or just alot of trouble to get and set up. Thanks!

Postby Cheryl » 12 Oct 2007, 17:18

Chris, i had a GA, i had heard some horror stories about the spinal anas.
i had terrible vomitting after GA, (i always have) but i dont care, it was far more worth it for me... they gave me something to ease it.. im not sure it helped much , but i still prepfer the GA.
I was able to sit ok in a chair, but it was more comfortable to lay down... when it got too painful i got in the hot salt tub.
I was confused at the start about fissureectomy tooo, my GP first said that is what id be having, but then my CRS said it was called LIS... they dont actually 'remove the fissure' (ectomy meaning 'removal of') LIS - lateral internal sphincterectomy, cutting the sphincter muscle so it can 'relax' and your body will be able to heal the fissure itself without all the 'spasms' and BM's getting in the way...
i hope i have explained this right, please someone correct me if im wrong!
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22