Pain with a BM...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Pain with a BM...

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jul 2007, 16:01

Patty....Buttgirl's suggestion about the mineral oil may be a good one...it's cheap and safe to use for a day or so. Just don't ever use mineral oil long term, as it coats your intestines and blocks absorption of nutrients, to some degree, anyway...
But it would be interesting to see how it affects the scraping sensation..
Lecia...I hope everything goes well tomorrow and you get that surgery over with fast... I hope they can do it on Wed!
Your co-mod is praying for you!
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 09 Jul 2007, 16:13

I love eggs. They don't seem to cause me any problems and are a good source of protein, choline, etc... Toast, on the other hand is a no no for me, which sucks because I like buttery toast with my eggs.

I am not sure what epsom salt does except act as an anti-inflammatory. It might be an anti-microbial.... Personally, though, I use iodized salt in my sitz bath water because iodine is anti-microbial. After my last fissure abscess, an infection is the last thing I want there.

Lecia, I wonder if taking that nasty fleet phosphosoda stuff to clean you out before the operation would help you keep from becoming constipated. That's what the GI made me take for the colonscopy, and even with pain meds and "twilight" anesthsia I didn't get constipated--a miracle for me.

I feel your fear. My family went to Dairy Queen this weekend and I walked out without getting anything because I was afraid it would hurt my butt. It was 105F outside too! Even worse, now that I am thinking about it, I would willingly take that nasty phsoposoda again if I was afraid of becoming constipated. How's that for fissure fear?--Preffering liquid blech Image to ice cream...
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2007, 16:39

Buttgirl...
You had to take pain meds for a colonscopy? Also, does the anesthsia cause constipation?
Thanks!

Postby buttgirl » 09 Jul 2007, 17:14

I was in such pain during and after the procedure that when they finished they caved and gave me a dose of painkillers and prescribed lidocaine for later. (Apparently, it is rare for someone to be fully awake and conscious through the twilight sedation, but I was because it was so painful for me. I think I had my abscess at that point because others seem to have had no problem with pain during the procedure. Even so, I don't want to scare you, Chris. Likely, you'll be just fine and the sedation will work.)

Yes, the anesthesia can cause constipation, at least that's what the dr. warned. But I got so cleaned out by the phosphosoda that it wasn't a problem for me. anesthesia without the phosphosoda may be more of a problem constipation-wise. The Dr. is also supposed warn you to call if you don't have a bm in 2+ days after the procedure.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2007, 19:05

Lecia,

Wouldn' t the flax seed do the same as mineral oil?? I am so afraid of the morning and what it will bring. I have laid around all day taken 3 baths, used my creams and I still feel something there like it didn't really resolve all day.

Patty

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2007, 19:16

Flax seed oil has a similar effect but it won't be as coated as with mineral oil. Some of the flaxseed oil gets broken done since it is nutritive unlike the mineral oil. I haven't tried mineral oil but it is probably not something you want to use long term; however, flax seed oil you could take every day. The other alternative would be fish oil. I take fisol supplements because they break down in the small intestine so you don't get any fish taste or rancidity.
Sorry it has been one of those days. Did you take any advil?

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 10:32

Lecia,
I took advil today and used the lidocaine and Nefedipine.. I went this morning it was formed and soft it hurt but no scraping. I just gripped the sink and breathed like I was having a baby. oh boy. I am going to get flax seed today after work. Yes I am at work I feel quility missing work. I told the girls I work with and they are pretty cool. They even know people that have this problem. I have my heating pad to sit on so I feel pretty good. Thanks again Lecia nd everyone for listening.
Patty

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jul 2007, 10:39

I bet the heating pad will help draw blood to the area and assist in healing. I don't see how it could hurt.
I never missed work because of my fissure but, man, I wanted to...
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 12:00

Happy Birthday again Patty!
What a trooper you have been. I would agree that the heating pad can be super helpful. I have often thought about getting one for my car. I have on occassion put a cold drink between my legs to help numb the pain while driving since it is safer than risking getting scalded..

Postby happyass » 10 Jul 2007, 13:45

as much as i love eggs, eggs are very YANG and if you add up other YANG foods, you may be causing yourself constipation.
definitely look up YANG to see if there is anything else you are eating that may be causing you to tense and get heavy stools and then hurt.
you need to get some YIN foods to help you BM much lighter.
google........
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74