Have my life back!

After 9 months, 500 posts and endless hours in pain.

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Have my life back!

Postby JHH » 23 Oct 2013, 05:22

Finally, I feel ready to write my success story.

Its been nearly 9 months with lots of ups and downs, and I feel like I have been through hell and back. Never before have I experienced such an excruciating pain, and never before had I imagined such a long healing time for a little wound.
Unfortunately I can't tell you I'm 100% OK again. I still have bad days with soreness and irritation. Compared to the pain I had, its really nothing, but I'm still looking forward to getting a normal butt. Maybe the wound is healed, and its just scar tissue/sentinel tag/hemorrhoid that's bugging me, or maybe I'm only 95% healed. Either way, I still keep looking after my butt, and continue to eat butt-friendly food, so I will just wait and see.

OK, so how did I get to where I am today...

Well, my AF adventure began in the end of January 2013. Unlike many others mine didn't start with constipation and blood. I just suddenly had a pain in my butt, and I figured it was a hemorrhoid, since I have been having hemorrhoids on and off for 20 years. After a few days, I called my doctor and got some hemorrhoid creme. I used the creme for a week, but the pain kept getting worse, and one day I had blood in the toilet. So I booked an appointment. My doctor did a digital examination, and told me I had a fissure. He could also see a hemorrhoid, so maybe my fissure was caused by pressure from the hemorrhoid.

Anyway, I went home and started googling, and that's how I found this forum. From reading it, I found out I needed rectogesic (GNT/Nitro), and that hemorrhoid creme was bad for a fissure, so I got some rectogesic from my doctor, and started to use it twice a day.
I expected to see some improvement within days, but after a week, I was still having serious pain. That's when I decided to write for help in here:

http://anal-fissure.org/want-my-life-back-t6123.html

This post later turned out to be my nitro diary, and the following months I wrote about my progress and setbacks.
After more than 3 months on rectogesic (and diltiazem) I was still not healed, and decided to switch hospitals, since the CRS I was seeing, didn't offer botox. So, I got a new CRS, and we decided to try botox. I was scheduled to have it performed 15 May 2013. But then I was having some good days, and I canceled the botox. That was a mistake, cause after a short while, things went south again. I had a new botox appointment the 5 June 2013, and got the procedure. That's when I started my botox diary:

http://anal-fissure.org/botox-diary-t6816.html

I remember being very sore (like I had been kicked in the butt) for about a week, and then things got better. The burning was gone right after botox, and in the following months I continued to improve.
I want you to understand, that healing is such a slow process, and you really should track your progress in weeks if not months. Its a rollercoaster, but eventually things will get better. After botox, I felt like I got 25% better every month, and I have finally reached the point where I don't think about my butt day in and day out. I even have gotten back on my bike, and have started running again. Yes, this does cause some small issues from time to time, but it never gets worse than some soreness (pain 1/10) and some irritation, that goes away within a few hours.

I would like to summarize, what I felt worked for me:

- Reading this forum, for advise and support.

- Vaseline before BM. I'm using a gloved finger to prelube before BM.

- Squatting with both feet on toilet seat.

- Finger support trick when I fear a harder than usual BM. Described here: http://anal-fissure.org/new-toilet-seat-heals-posterior-fissures-t6671.html

- Lactulose. 30ml daily. Movicol worked great too, but my stomach couldn't tolerate it.

- Magnesium. 500mg daily.

- Lots of soluble fiber, and lots of water, but not too much water, as it could flush out your electrolytes.

- No working out, except walks.

- After its confirmed you have a fissure, never let anyone do a digital exam while in spasms!

- Nitro and diltiazem worked somewhat, but never enough.

- Botox saved my ass!

Before I end this post, I want to thank my friends in here. Your support and help has helped me through this, and I want you to know how thankful I am. So a big THANKS to all of you!

Since I have gotten a lot of AF knowledge, and has gotten a lot of friends in here, I'm not leaving. I will continue to lurk around, and see how my friends are progressing. I will also try to help when I can, so this is not goodbye.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Re: Have my life back!

Postby Deleted User 2950 » 23 Oct 2013, 10:43

"It's JHH in the house" :Rock:

That's some very good news buddy. We certainly remember those very tense days of yours
here. It was a soap opera indeed coming in here hoping that things were going well
for you. I could feel your sorrow and struggles as I read your post here and there.

Looking forward is what its all about now. Thanks for sticking around to lend a helping
hand from time to time. There will always be someone who can benefit from the knowledge
of what you went through.

All the best to you and to getting that last 5-10% or so to 100% healed.

:thanx:
Deleted User 2950

Postby Scientist2516 » 24 Oct 2013, 12:01

Hi JHH, thanks so much for giving us your success story. Yay for you!!! Congratulations and well done.
I think I'm at the same stage as you - basically 95-99% healed. It was somewhat reassuring to know that there can still be some issues even after the main healing is done. It was a good reminder that in some ways, even though we have our lives back, those lives are changed, perhaps for ever.
Indeed, you rock, and so does this forum.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby hootinannie » 24 Oct 2013, 12:16

Congratulations JHH, I certainly like to hear about success! Those of you who are lucky enough to have access to Botox and LIS should seriously consider it. Unfortunately, here in BC Canada, the wait list is 2 years unless you pay privately and then the cost is really out of this world. However, I don't think there is a price that you can put on getting out of the pain.

Again, congrats and keep coming back to this forum and let us know how you're doing! :sunny:
hootinannie
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby JHH » 25 Oct 2013, 13:08

Thank you all :-)

Annie, that sounds crazy. 2 years wait for botox/lis is way too much. I waited about about 45 days for botox, if memory serves me right.
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH

Postby FissureHome » 27 Nov 2013, 09:38

JHH are you still feeling well? Starting to think botx is been 2 months for me..but my CRS didnt even talk to me about botox just LIS..i didnt even ask cause at that point i didnt know about it..
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JHH » 02 Dec 2013, 14:57

Hi FissureHome

Sorry I missed your post.

Yes, I'm doing great. I still have some small irritation sometimes, but it's really nothing.
This last week has been the best for far. I feel totally normal right now.
(Although I think a little harder than usual BM will make me sore again)
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH

Postby FissureHome » 02 Dec 2013, 15:45

congrats JHH! happy for you!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby splinterboy2013 » 03 Dec 2013, 14:56

jhh do you still take stool softners + magnesium? and how long are you planning to take them
splinterboy2013
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby JHH » 05 Dec 2013, 02:11

Yes I do, although I have cut down a bit. Im taking 20ml lactulose, and 300mg magnesia.

No timeframe, maybe for life. Will do whatever it takes to secure soft BMs and avoid retears.
- Got botox Jun '13
JHH