controlling my life

anal tension all day everyday

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

controlling my life

Postby alfa147adam » 02 Dec 2013, 17:29

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have joined with the hope of getting a few answers. I have had anal fissures for many years now but its only the last 4 years that I have been having these symptoms. I get this pressure sensation in my anus. Its like I'm clenced all day long. Sometimes I feel it in my tailbone area and other times in my pereneum area. I am sure its coming from my anal sphincters though. When I pass gas or have a bowel movement I feel relief for a few minutes but then it starts again. The more I think about it the worse it is. I'm fine when I am asleep but as soon as I wake up I can feel the tension building and its there all day. If I can focus on something else the problem seems to fade slightly. I also get these weird flutters aswell. Its as if the muscles relax slightly and then clench up again. I have had loads of scans and tests done and all seems to be ok but its only recently that I have realised it may be my fissures causing this. I have mad anxiety problems from this and it just makes it worse. Its doing my head in. Anyone else have the same problem or any advise. Thanks all.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: controlling my life

Postby alfa147adam » 02 Dec 2013, 17:30

Oh I also get back ache from this too
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby JHH » 03 Dec 2013, 01:21

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

4 years is a long time to deal with these problems...
It could be your fissure, but I think it sounds more like levator ani.
Try and google it, and tell us if you think the symptoms matches yours.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Phil McCrackin » 03 Dec 2013, 08:26

Hi alfa147adam,
I've had a chronic fissure for 3 years, and now and then have the pressure and sore tailbone that you're talking about. I especially notice it if I sit for too long. I would definitely recommend not tensing up your sphincter muscle. Try concentrating on relieving that tension as often as you can. I'm also prone to anxiety and it's been driving me mad for years. So you're not alone! All the best.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby alfa147adam » 03 Dec 2013, 12:49

Just come back from the doctors and he has diagnosed me with levator ani syndrome. Very painfull. He has given me some muscle relaxants to take along with the sertraline and pregabalin I am already taking. He does agree that stress makes it worse and the symptoms he described are exactly what I am having. Golf ball feeling in rectum, pressure and tension in rectum and flutters in anus. Here goes nothing then. I shall see how I get on. He also says that with levator ani you get nerve twinges to the left side of the anus which is true. Just makes it worse with my fissures too. And I have been told to rest from work for 2 weeks. God I'm going to be bored as hell haha.
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 04 Dec 2013, 22:33

Hi alfa,
I'm really sorry you've got levator ani as well as fissures. What a rotten double whammy! Hopefully now you have a diagnosis, you can start to make some progress? Kudos to JHH for spotting the levator ani!
Are the muscle relaxants helping at all? Are there any exercises you can do, or relaxation techniques? I do hope you get better!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby alfa147adam » 05 Dec 2013, 05:06

The muscle relaxants do seem to help but its early days and not sure if it is the old placebo effect. But I am not aware of any stretches etc so if any of u guys can help I would be very grateful. Just resting and not havng stress seems to help. I'm off work for a while and by boss was insistant that I just rest and take it easy. Sorry for the vulgarity but digital rectal massage seems to help. Not too sure how to do it correctly but I gave it a go and it seemed to help. Thanks to all of you who have replied. Here in england this problem seems to be swept under the carpet and is not really recognised by the medical profession. God bless the internet haha
alfa147adam
Fibre Addict

Postby Alyssa » 30 May 2014, 14:41

My pelvic floor physical therapist told me my levator Ani muscles were tense and suggested I do exercises at home

Elevator kegels, message pelvic muscles with crystal wand through the vagina, toe ins, bicycle exercises, prayer stretch, wall
Slides.

I don't know how long it takes for my muscles to relax but I've only had two sessions so far and I don't see any improvement...last night I was in tears because I continue to be in pain!
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Apes » 30 May 2014, 20:20

My fissure causes my levator ani muscle to spasm something fierce. This would happen 20 minutes after a BM. Nothing seem to work to calm them down. My doctor told me muscle relaxers would not work on that muscle. I took a lot of baths which helped while I was in the bath. Perhaps acupuncture might help. I eventually got Botox which has been working. I fear the day it wears off.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Alyssa » 30 May 2014, 23:54

I don't have an active fissure so I don't know if there is anything else that can be done; I don't get strong spasms (minor ones) the issue is that I have dull pain all day long, very sore rectum, sitting makes it worst. The only plan of action is to see a pelvic floor therapist. There's only so much pain you can tolerate until you start going crazy and I've reached my limit!
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26