LIS Surgery 10,15,20 years later? Anyone?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

LIS Surgery 10,15,20 years later? Anyone?

Postby FissureHome » 03 Dec 2013, 16:44

Is Incontinence with LIS as years go by later in life an issue even if it wasnt in the beginning after surgery? My grandpa has leakage issues although hes 90 years old(no surgery) lol makes me wonder even if i dont get it with surgery right away whats gonna happen in the long term?? Debating on having it done sick of this pain and irratation..butt dont want leakage..im only 29 years old (male) i was always very active gym, kayacking,sports, mountain biking whatever now i cant do any of it! I cant even watch UFC because you tense up when people are getting hit and starts to irritate!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: LIS Surgery 10,15,20 years later? Anyone?

Postby MattMecham » 09 Dec 2013, 23:08

I'm going into my 3rd year post-LIS, and I know that doesn't fit your criteria, but I can tell you this -- it's just as tight as a drum down there. No problems whatsoever. And I cannot even begin to relate how awesome it is to be 100% pain-free. Now, if there is any chance of leakage later in life directly related to LIS (and I have not read anything conclusive that would point to that), I feel that it is an opportunity cost I am more than willing to pay. Fissure pain is for the birds, and after suffering for three years with excruciating pain almost every day, I can say that with quite a bit of authority.
I'm an avid weight-lifter -- at this point, I dead lift well over 300 pounds for my working sets. That puts a LOT of strain in the sphincter area, and I have no trouble whatsoever. I also do some boxing, and lots of HIIT, with no worries at all in the "southern hemisphere". Best of luck to you!
Last edited by MattMecham on 15 Dec 2013, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Dec 2013, 23:11

Great news, MattMecham. Can you tell us how old you are? I am 50 and I fear that I don't heal as fast as I used to. I think if people responding here can tell us their age, that would be very useful information.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby MattMecham » 09 Dec 2013, 23:31

I'm 41, will be 42 in April. I had the surgery just before my 39th birthday.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Loves Tennis » 11 Dec 2013, 11:35

I am 50 had the surgery 2 months ago, best decision I ever made after enduring 4 years of misery. Utterly life changing, not a bit of incontinence or leakage and my surgeon doesn't expect there will be
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Scientist2516 » 11 Dec 2013, 11:46

Thank you Loves Tennis. I am 50, suffering a bit with a relapse from a fissure I thought had healed. My main fear of LIS is that at 50 I don't heal as well as I used to. It's encouraging to hear that LIS can be OK at this age!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby Loves Tennis » 11 Dec 2013, 11:55

Hi Scientist2516 = I too believe that as you get older healing is tougher and "down there" I think the skin thins.....well it has done in my case. But one thing I was surprised about when I had my post surgery check two weeks ago is that the surgeon says my AF or the crater as he christened as it was a humdinger of a fissure is still actually there....he says that skin is beginning to grow over it but that it may never fully heal BUT the nerve endings to it are gone so I won't have any probs in the future and he has never ever had a patient back with problems of a return to the spasm pain or difficulties after having had LIS.......so that news is encouraging. On the health forms he stated that the LIS was surgery to help ease bowel movement and that it has done, going to the loo is now enjoyable.........did I ever think I would hear myself say those words but it is true. Best of luck !!
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Postby FissureHome » 11 Dec 2013, 13:09

Wow thanks you Loves Tennis and Matt for your postive comments! I am debating having the surgery done althgouh my pain is more with sitting laying and walking ect..my bowel movements are like 1 or 2 out 10 in pain..not too bad but still scary..more irritating with other stuff i do..i couldnt imagine running or working out at this point..
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Loves Tennis » 11 Dec 2013, 20:13

Hi FissureHome.............over a period of 6/7 months through trying everything I too got my pain level down to a 1 or on the very odd day a 2 but was still taking pain killers about 5/6 times a week which I knew long term was not good for me. I said to the surgeon is this pain level of 1 as good as it gets and he said NO I can sort you out for life and be totally PAIN FREE..........and he did........it's a scary decision and one I didn't take lightly, I kept saying to myself this will heal I wont' need surgery but it didn't and I only wish I had, had the surgery much sooner. It's just now wonderful to be "normal" free of pain. I wish you healing wishes
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Postby FissureHome » 12 Dec 2013, 07:27

Wow! Happy to hear you are well and pain free! Happy holidays to you!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist