LIS Surgery 10,15,20 years later? Anyone?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: LIS Surgery 10,15,20 years later? Anyone?

Postby Loves Tennis » 12 Dec 2013, 12:09

And many happy returns FissureHome
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Davo » 12 Dec 2013, 18:01

Hello Fissurehome,

I asked Mr Windsor that very question before my LIS surgery (I was 38)

He said our sphincters generally get weaker as we get older anyway and LIS surgery shouldn't have any impact on incontinence once we get older.

The reason my fissure never really healed in the first place was because everything was a bit too tight down there - the surgery helped relax this to about 80% of what it originally was.

To be honest the pain i was in i would have still considered surgery even if he told me it would make me incontinent in later life!

Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby FissureHome » 13 Dec 2013, 11:43

Thanks Davo..how long after surgery until you felt normal again? like can you go ride a bike and do stuff you did before or do you have to be careful forever?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Davo » 13 Dec 2013, 11:50

Hi,

It depends how well you respond to surgery and how good your surgeon is. Some people take a month or two to heal however I was back to normal within a week or two.

Ohhhh my life is completely back to normal.... Bike riding, football, gym, drunken nights out and curry! I don't take any sort of stool softeners or medications - life is good again.

I posted my full recovery in my diary

Davo
my-lis-diary-march-2012-fully-healed-in-4-weeks-t4589.html
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby FissureHome » 13 Dec 2013, 13:12

Awesome! Congradulations! Happy Holidays to you! Im gonna check it out! Thanks..
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Lauren12 » 15 Dec 2013, 19:34

I had LIS over two and a half years ago - again, not quite the demographic you were looking for but I haven't had any problems with incontinence and I'm 59 years old. Regarding leakage in old age - like your father, my mother had it, but not until her late eighties - and she'd never had any surgery in her life! It's just a feature of old age for some people, along with many other things which you can't control. I don't think it's worth worrying about. I also agree with MattMecham, that to get rid of years of pain with a fissure, the cost of 'potentially' getting leakage in old age as a result of LIS is one that I'd have paid quite readily! If it makes any difference, I think women are generally more prone to incontinence in old age than men, as a result of reduction in hormone levels following the menopause. My CRS said that for someone who's had the LIS, my anal muscle tone is still quite high and therefore I won't be one of those old ladies who have problems years down the line! For the women who are reading, anal muscle tone loosens somewhat after the menopause and the surgeon said that in my case, that would be a good thing!
As for Scientist2516's worry about healing more slowly after the age of 50, I had the LIS just before my 57th birthday and healed just fine. Healing was in line with what the surgeon would have expected and he never mentioned that it might be slower because of my age.
Hope this helps. All the best everybody!
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Loves Tennis » 16 Dec 2013, 04:47

Great to know Lauren12 !
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby FissureHome » 22 Dec 2013, 17:18

Thanks Lauren..i think im gonna schedule the surgery..im gonna give it to The 1st..if im not sitting comfortabley by then im done with this! By the way how long after to recover from your surgery?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 23 Dec 2013, 01:08

FissureHome, the fissure did not give any pain after the surgery, and to this day. NONE. Now, I did lay in bed for one whole day, sleeping a watching movies and eating soup. My tailbone felt bruised, like I got kicked pretty hard in the butt, but it was a dull ache, not a sharp fissure-pain. On day two, I shuffled around the back yard, doing this and that, but spent most of the day in bed. By day three, I was walking all around the house, but still spent probably three or four hours in bed, just to play it safe. I had not taken any painkillers beyond the first day of recovery -- didn't need them. My butt just felt bruised, like when you sit down too long and your tailbone aches. By day four, I was able to go to church and sit on a pew and attend all of my meetings. By day five, I was back to work as a school teacher, and happy as a lark. Still happy to this day!
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby FissureHome » 24 Dec 2013, 08:38

Wow! Awesome Matt! Thanks for the positive story! Yea im not really having sharp fissure pain anymore..and varely feel uncomfortable to poop just a little..but it still just feels real sensitive like it will rip if i exert myself to much like bedning over too quickly or too far..and mainly its when im sitting down..feels like it will rip if i sit for too long..especailly driving and its been like 3 months i cant keep having my mother drive me everywhere its affected and taken over my life..i just wanna move past this already..Im gonna give it anothwr week or so if i cant sit comfortably im gonna scedule a LIS mostlikely..ill keep you guys updated
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist