Hoping for success

What a thing to deal with...

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Hoping for success

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jan 2014, 04:06

Hi ,
it's possible that both of you have developed reactions to the creams, especially if things seem to worsen directly after application of it and it might be worth considering the other options if this is the case, especially if it is causing you considerable discomfort or you don't feel the cream is actually helping. It would just be wise to monitor the situation and see. The problem is fissures and spasms create so many differing sensations , burning and itching could be part of that but it's definitely worth checking with your crs to see if there's a link for your particular cases. I do know burning was not something I encountered and any itching I experienced was related to other factors but not the Diltiazem I was prescribed. I hope you both figure this one out soon.
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby powderblue » 12 Jan 2014, 14:25

Grrr, just when I thought I was getting much better (5 days without bleeding) I had seen blood at my second BM today. The stool was not as loose as the previous one and I had one involuntary contraction that had probably caused it.

This is a bit disconcerting.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby powderblue » 13 Jan 2014, 08:43

Well, today is even worse. While yesterday I got a bit of blood, this morning I had a lot lot more, same as I had 2 weeks ago.

My stool has become less loose, but still very soft, so I have no idea what am I doing wrong. My diet is top notch, same goes for my water intake. I squat, don't drink any coffee, my BMs are regular.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Phil McCrackin » 14 Jan 2014, 19:46

@powderblue: Sometimes I can go months without even a trace of blood, but the fissure can still be excruciating. My diet is also very good (vegan but eating yogurt for the good bacteria), I squat on the toilet, drink 2-3 litres of water a day and take a level teaspoon of Movicol before bed. My stools are very soft and easy to pass but the fissure has a mind of it's own.

Yesterday morning I had a BM with almost no pain during and after. And this morning I experienced the same kind of BM but the pain is agonising???! The fissure has been throbbing for hours and I can barely sit down. I applied some Anusol zinc cream. It won't settle until 4 to 6 hours now. I don't understand this thing.. After 3 years I'm seriously considering surgery now.
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby powderblue » 14 Jan 2014, 19:55

Phil McCrackin wrote:@powderblue: Sometimes I can go months without even a trace of blood, but the fissure can still be excruciating. My diet is also very good (vegan but eating yogurt for the good bacteria), I squat on the toilet, drink 2-3 litres of water a day and take a level teaspoon of Movicol before bed. My stools are very soft and easy to pass but the fissure has a mind of it's own.

Yesterday morning I had a BM with almost no pain during and after. And this morning I experienced the same kind of BM but the pain is agonising???! The fissure has been throbbing for hours and I can barely sit down. I applied some Anusol zinc cream. It won't settle until 4 to 6 hours now. I don't understand this thing.. After 3 years I'm seriously considering surgery now.

Man, I feel very bad for you and a bit scared for myself. What does your CRS say? Why is it not healing completely?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby powderblue » 14 Jan 2014, 19:58

I had my 2 week follow up meeting with my CRS and gave him an update on everything that I've been doing. He told me not to be concerned about blood and to see him back in 4 weeks. He is totally convinced that this thing will heal if I keep up with my diet, water intake and Diltiazem cream.

I had more blood today and my morning was a bit rough. I'm also starting to think that some of the stretches I do and yoga may be aggravating it.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Phil McCrackin » 14 Jan 2014, 21:31

I've seen about 6 different doctors about this fissure over a 3 year period. They all say that I have to be patient and to keep applying the creams. I've tried Diltiazem but it did nothing. But I have a feeling the pharmacists made it incorrectly, because it was so runny I could barely apply it. What consistency is your Diltiazem cream? I will see the doctor again next month and ask about it again.

Well.. if you know the blood is coming from the fissure there's nothing to worry about. My fissure has been bleeding on and off for years. And I hope your doctor is right in that it will heal soon. All the doctors I've seen have been really reluctant to do surgery and keep sending me away with more cream!! But I'm getting to the point of having the surgery now.

I also do yoga but during a pain free time. Some of the stretches do more harm than good, especially when your butt is already throbbing. Do you have much pain with the fissure or is it just the bleeding that bothers you?
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby powderblue » 15 Jan 2014, 07:37

Phil, my BMs are now getting to the point of being unpleasant, but not painful. Every time my stool is not of toothpaste consistency I get some blood on my stool and TP. Afterwards I would apply Diltiazem (you need to store it in the fridge and mine is quite solid, like wax) and then I would get burning / uncomfortable sensation for about 4-6 hours. Then it would get better until the next BM.

And yes, while painful sensation is not too overwhelming, I must say that it is the blood (daily!) that bothers me the most.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Postby Bettyblue » 18 Jan 2014, 14:17

Powderblue, why don't you add Miralax in addition to you diet and water?. I actually managed to cure my fissure. In the beginning I was like you managing my AF with, nitro+tons of water+ healthy diet. But I could never managed to have a consistent perfect Bm. Only when I added Miralax/movicol. I was able to have a perfect BM every time, no matter what I ate. Miralax is not absorbed by the body and can be used for long time without side effects. Now I'm not going to lie. It took a long time for the fissure to heal. I started the treatment in April. And I was declared healed by my CRS in May 2013. But it was not until August that I considered myself healed ( meaning not having any pain and feeling some how "normal"). I ended having the LIS but for another reasons ( I got obsessed with re-tearing so the AF was taking over my life). But actually when I got my LIS my fissure was healed and I didn't have any kind of pain.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby ButtQueen » 21 Jan 2014, 23:42

Hey there,

I think it basically depends on how deep or internal/external fissures that you have. This has a direct impact on healing. External fissures seem to heal quicker than the internal ones. I'm two months ahead of my fissure. There would be days when I would have absolutely no pain during or after my BM. And there are days when I would pass a slight harder stool and the fun begins all over again. I'm still optimistic though. Do you people know anybody who healed their chronic fissure without surgery/botox? Is it possible?
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9