LIS with laser

First hours post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS with laser

Postby Bettyblue » 15 Jan 2014, 10:55

Well my LIS is done already. And now 5 hours post LIS I feel fine. No pain at the moment, only a burning sensation. I haven't needed pain medication yet.

LIS surgery 9:45 a.m

Checking at the hospItal. Nurse took me to a room where I have to take all my clothes and wear one of these gowns that show your bum in the back. Goody. :naughty: Then walked to the operating room and lied on the surgery bed. Anesthetist applied sedation and then I was gone like sleepy beauty. Didn't feel a thing until the nurse shaked me a little to wake me up. And then I Did something weird do. my first words were in English "that was quick" (notice that I am in Madrid and my first language is spanish ha, ha, ha,) . Nurse said que?(what in spanish) I said it again in English and then she looked at me like I was crazy. Realized where I was and then finally said in spanish. ( I think my brain played a trick on me because the last person I spoked before surgery was a friend I have I London). Any way, CRS came told me what he did, every thing went well, bla, bla, bla,. And then his recommendations:

-Eat normally, don't change your diet.
-Very important to clean incision twice a day. Morning and night with soap and water in the shower. Wrap around your finger with a gauze, and then proceed to clean the wound firmly (don't be afraid to rip apart anything) if it bleeds a little is better, it means you did a good job cleaning it. :silent:
-sitz baths if you want. They are not necessary. Maybe to soothe the pain.
- it is normal to bleed a little the first days and with BMs , don't get scared.
-pain medication only if you need it.
- call me if you notice any thing abnormal or if you star to bleed. Profusely.
- see you in one week.
And then I asked him how about the first BM?
He said not to worry, it could be a little painful but nothing compared with the fissure pain. And any way probably I will have one tomorrow or late at night.

I got out from the hospital and went to eat something. I was starving and besides I was feeling grate. No pain at all.
Then I went to the hotel were I had the scare of my life! As soon as I crossed the door I felt it :evil: a BM coming like a train :affraid:. I had to run like a mad woman and then take, not, rip all the bandages in a whim, It hurt like hell :~!@: then I sited and prepared my self for the worst. And oh la la it came out so easily and I had only a little sting and nothing after that NO PAIN, NO PAIN, NO PAIN YEAH :cheers: Hours after that and I still feel great.
So that's it for now will post later again.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Re: LIS with laser

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 12:16

Very nice Bettyblue! Congratulations, you did it! I will tell you a few tips of advice..my CRS never told me to wash with soap and water twice per day and the finger thing of bleeding. No, no, no...in fact the nurse told me bathe only after the first BM. She said warm sitz baths to clean, no soap.

I also ripped off the tape and gauze the first night. I cannot sleep with tape on my butt...je je je. That hurt like hell and left glue. Anyhow, yes I am showering once per day but you do not have to clean so intensely, in fact be very careful. I pat myself dry with a towel the bum area; but then I use a hair blower to dry the rest. Keep the area nice and dry. That will keep from infections.

Do you have a bidet? It is very common for latinos...I have one and swear by it. I go from the toilet to the bidet and sprinkle warm water. It feels great! I use no paper or wipes yet.

As far as your diet, I'm sorry but I do feel you need to keep your diet soft foods, veggies, fruits, fiber pill and stool softener 2x per day to make it through the first week. Keep your meals light so they don't pile up. I had smoothies and soups, purees, and some light chicken, fish, or turkey. Small portions...

That is my .02. I'm so happy you finally made it through...you may need that painkiller tomorrow morning. I did but then every day the pain was less and the bleeding is less. I still have bleeding and it is Day 5. The painkillers constipate so be careful. I am now taking two ibuprofen every day for the soreness I feel after my morning BM. Every day a little better...

Good luck! Dale!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Hatetopoop » 15 Jan 2014, 12:18

PS I wear a ladies incontinence underwear for the bleeding. It has like pads inside to absorb the moisture and I feel safe and comfortable with it on while I am at home. I am not incontinent but I like the feeling of feeling dry and safe.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cactussss » 15 Jan 2014, 12:30

After 9 months of suffer, pain and blood I decided to go for LIS, very scared.
I found a CRS in Madrid that seemed to me an expert LIS surgeon. Sajonia-Coburgo by the way. I am from Madrid but live in Brazil.
It was 3 weeks ago. Same advice, after surgery, than yours. I think same CRS.
I can tell you that to go to LIS have been the better decision I have taken in my life.
Not even one day or one BM I have experience pain since the surgery.
I am still in the process to quit laxatives, almost done, but one plantabem every two days yet. The Doctor told me to take one month for the process because I was on a huge laxatives diet.
By the way, I sincerely recommend to read his web, sajonia-coburgo (spanish), nice advice for all of you that suffer as I did.
"Look for a good CRS with experience and go for LIS"
cactussss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Bettyblue » 16 Jan 2014, 05:06

Hatetopoop, I know it souds a little hard the cleaning with the gauze. But I had been with my CRS for more than a year and I trust 100% in him. He is a great CRS. He explained himself how I should do it. In fact I did it already last night and this morning again without any problem, it didn't hurt at all. About the diet I agree with you. I will keep it soft just to be safe. I have the bidet is fantastic isn't it? I haven't had any pain at all today also, haven't needed any pain killer. Also my bleeding is minimum, just some spotting but very, very little. Maybe the reason is that I did it with laser?Thank you so much for your advise. I will be following your progress also. Did you have several procedures besides de LIS right?.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby Bettyblue » 16 Jan 2014, 05:17

Cactussss , no kidding we have the same CRS Dr. Sajonia! Isn't him fantastic? We were very lucky to had been operated by him. I live in the north of Spain (San Sebastián) and I just travel to Madrid to be operated by him. I did a lot of research and he was highly recommended. A very good doctor and also impeccable bed side manners. I am just one day post LIS and have no pain at all. Feel great! Tell me about your LIS after 3 weeks, are all your problems gone? I am taking right now one dose of movicol everyday, no fiber since my diet is very healthy. Hope to hear some advise from you since we have the same CRS.
Bettyblue
VIP

Postby FissureHome » 16 Jan 2014, 07:13

Betty blue..Hate to poop lives right by me..small world..also curious..how do you clean the incision? isnt it inside your bum?
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby cactussss » 16 Jan 2014, 08:38

Bettyblue, it is unbelievable that we have the same CRS, and it is in Spain, not in the USA.
When I got the fissure, By March last year, I started reading about it and I got really scared.
I went to many CRS’s, in Spain and in Brazil where I live now, and I realized there was not a common position on this subject, so I got even more frightened. As a matter of fact I could observe the ignorance that some professionals have on this issue.
Then I found Doctor Sajonia web site, started reading and found the answers to my doubts, like I should go first for LIS instead of Botox. He is an expert that makes things look simple. Fantastic! I decided that he was going to be my CRS.
I am sorry I can’t give you any advice, since I was operated I haven’t feel pain again, just when I woke up from surgery I requested an analgesic because I felt some pain. Never happened again. I haven’t taken even one pill from the analgesic box the doc prescribed me.
One anecdote is that I thought the wound from the surgery was located where the fissure was, and there was where I applied the gauze and soap, so as a matter of fact I even didn’t clean properly the wound. Then I learned the wound is made somewhere else. Fortunately I didn’t got an infection.
So go ahead and enjoy life, there is nothing to worry about as per my experience. :-)
cactussss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Hatetopoop » 16 Jan 2014, 10:39

Hi BettyBlue, got to hear you are making great progress! Yes, I had the LIS, plus two skin tag removals, and a fissurectomy. Laser was not offered to me. I use the bidet each and every time I use the bathroom, so that is how I keep everything clean. Then I pat dry lightly and use the hair blower to dry. Who knew the hair dryer could be used for this? ha ha!

Yes I agree--the bidet is a lifesaver!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist