Anal fissure - 18 months

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anal fissure - 18 months

Postby D4V3 » 02 Feb 2014, 10:03

Hey everyone!

Not long discovered this forum, had no idea there was one for anal fissures but there seems to be a forum for everything these days :)

I'm a 24 year old guy and ive had pain with my poop for 18 months, blood on the toilet paper at least once a week.
I recently went to the docs and he performed an exam, he concluded there were no hemmies up there and nothing more sinister. So I suggest a fissure, and he says it could well be that there are reoccurring fissures there.

My symptoms are as follows:

There is always some sharp pain with a poo, there isn't always blood but if its a bigger poo then usually a bit.
Once im done, I usually have to have a warm bath and two ibuprofen to dissipate the pain. After the bath I usually just sit on the couch until the pain is gone.
I always poo around 7pm, and the pain is usually gone by the time I go to bed if I do those things.
For about 3 hours after a poo I have to periodically wipe my bum of puss/mucous? Usually it stops after that.
As I said the doc didn't seem very concerned about it, he gave me some suppositories with hydrocortisone in them which im yet to try. I hate using suppositories as I struggle to keep them in, I would rather an ointment or something.

Last year there were a few nights where I couldn't sleep for the pain, im assuming its around the time the fissure first appeared.

I have started eating fruit and veg and drinking loads of water as this is the obvious first step.
The last 18 months I haven't been myself at all, its been dictating my moods and my decisions to do take part in things. I know you must have heard all this before :( I just felt like I had to voice it somewhere somehow.

Thanks for reading, if I have any progress in healing I will be sure to make it known on here.
Also any advice/tips is very very much appreciated!
Dave :)
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Anal fissure - 18 months

Postby owmybum » 02 Feb 2014, 12:22

Hi dave.... And welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you have been struggling with this for so long. It really is one of those painful conditions that affect every aspect of your life.... And leave you feeling miserable. Not one member on here hasn't had these feelings... You are not alone!

Could you go back to the dr and ask fore some of the suppositories in cream form?? Anusol with hydrocortisone is one example...... But be aware that hydrocortisone is usually used to treat piles, and not fissures. You could ask to be referred to a colorectal surgeon and get the best advice and a plan of healing action from an expert.

In the mean time, keep going with your routine if its working to minimise the pain for you, and read as much as you can on the forum..... It's where I got my best advice!!

:wel:

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Feb 2014, 13:38

Hi Dave,
I agree with owmybum that hydrocortisone is not the best treatment for fissures. It is said to thin the skin - not what you want when you are trying to heal a cut.
I also agree with going to a CRS rather than your GP.
After 18 months of struggling with this, you may need surgery. A colorectal surgeon can examine you properly and tell you your options - can you heal with topical ointments, or will you need scar tissue removed, etc.

Don't worry, a lot of people here have had surgery very successfully. You may read some stories of less good outcomes, but remember - the ones that heal don't tend to stick around here. They go off and lead their lives.

I would suggest reading as much as you can on this forum and anywhere else, so you will be informed when you see the CRS. A good CRS will examine the outside first, and not look or feel inside without asking you first and making sure it's not too uncomfortable for you.

Good luck! 18 months is way too long to be struggling with a fissure. I really hope you get it sorted soon, but for that you need expert advice.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby pinpin » 04 Feb 2014, 01:33

Indeed agree, you have to show up to CRS for the check.

This is the place which sometimes does not heal on its own.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby D4V3 » 06 Jan 2016, 14:27

Hi guys,

I decided after I posted here that I would l leave it a bit to see how things went..
Anyway its been almost two years since I last posted and I will now give you the gossip.

Treatments that I have undergone:

Rectogesic:
Very sore to apply due to immediate spasm.
Headache for one hour after.
Pain relief was very effective but no healing took place.

Diltazem:
Very sore to apply due to immediate spasm.
Little noticeable pain relief.
Not much healing seemed to take place.

Had another tube of rectogesic and used it for the 7 weeks because I couldn't function with out it having began pooping in the morning before work.

Went away to india for two months at the beginning of 2015 without any medication, it was a difficult two months and at the end I was slightly more comfortable than when I left. I believe it was due to the warm weather keeping a good supply of blood around the area. But who knows really.

I saw my gp again and begged her to refer me for surgery, which she happily did. It has been almost 4 months since then and I have been told that jan 20th I will be seen.

I am hoping for LIS surgery, I really just want to get this done and dusted because it is ruining my life.

I can't join the navy or do anything that I want to do right now because I can't exercise heavily. I am never not in some level of pain anymore.

Im not sure how much opposition the surgeon will have to my request for the surgery, if any. But that is my worry now.

The only change in symptoms in the last two years is that sometimes if i feel like I really need a poo and I go to do it and no poo comes out, i wipe my bum and as well as some bright red blood there are some small clot looking things.
I believe them to be bursting internal piles, but that will be for the surgeon to decide.

I will keep you updated on what happens with the surgeon on the 20th!

Right now I have the flu and my poo is water so my bum is very sore and raw, so it is really not helping the situation or my mood.
Thanks x
D4V3
Fibre Addict

Postby D4V3 » 29 Jan 2016, 07:46

Little update!

After seeing the surgeon he offered me the botox injections, which I declined and pushed for LIS. He has agreed to do the surgery and my date was posted to me this morning.

1st of March Surgery date. Hopeful that this will be the end!

Thanks x
D4V3
Fibre Addict