Visit to the CRS!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Visit to the CRS!

Postby ButtQueen » 12 Feb 2014, 03:39

Went to visit my surgeon today. Ended up having two of them prying over my butt. Anyway, the fissure is still there after two and a half months but only a .5 mm. The surgeon said that it's REALLY small. Too small. The exam was done only externally but she opened me up quite a bit!! It hurt a little. Not much.

Got GTN 0.2% prescribed twice a day for two weeks and another pain-relieving ointment. Plus ipbroufen (whatever the spellings are) twice a day (for pain relief maybe?).

I have been actually feeling better since three days so the positivity is up!!! Hoping to heal with GTN soon!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Visit to the CRS!

Postby Scientist2516 » 12 Feb 2014, 13:28

Yay for positivity!
It sounds as though you might be on the mend? What does "too small" mean? (A fissure can't be too small in my opinion :lol: ).
Two and a half months sounds like a long time, but it's not really, on the grand scale of fissure healing. It sounds as though you are right on track and doing really well. I hope the GTN works for you - don't forget to start with tiny amounts to avoid headaches. If you don't get headaches, you can increase gradually. I started with tiny blobs the size of a lentil and worked up to bigger than a pea.
The nice thing about GTN is you really don't have to shove it up inside. It's much better absorbed by the outer anal skin than the other AF ointments. The ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and should help with pain too. It helped me more than anything else. Didn't take away all the pain, but took the edge off and helped me survive!

Best of Luck Butt Queen! Keep Healing!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 22 Feb 2014, 01:15

Well, not to boast or anything, but my fissure was between 1.5 and 2 cm wide. I can tell you it hurt as bad as childbirth!!!! I can't believe I survived the long healing process, but I did. Mine was an anterior AF (more common in women). Probably related to problems during childbirth way back when and then re-tore with constipation over a year ago. I have had other pain since then, which feels more like a paper cut on the opening. That hurts as well (but probably is 'really small'). When I'm having symptoms I will use the sitz bath (or soak in a nice hot bath, add some epsom salts) and I still use ointment (A & D, etc). I also believe in the healing power of the ointments (they bring blood flow to the area) and use a heating pad as well. Treat your butt like a queen and you, too, can heal!!! Best of luck! :lol:

Oh, yes, and don't forget the fiber (soluble and insoluble, water and anything else necessary to avoid hard, large bm's!!)
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby ButtQueen » 22 Feb 2014, 03:46

LOL so good to hear from you guys! I have actually been completely pain free since my visit to the CRS on 12th Feb. However, I do know that my fissure is still there as I do get tingly feeling over there now and then. Today, it got just sliiiightly irritated. Only slightly. I am keeping my hopes high! Drinking a lot of water, eating a lot of vegies. So many people have healed after having a fissure for so long and I am positive that mine will too. It is just that this thing takes a hell lot of toll on one's patience and sometimes it just feels so difficult to hang on!! Not to mention the thought "What if this never heals". I don't know why I get it lol! Did you ever get them Scientist? :D
Just Pain Tired so that means you still have a fissure down there after a year? You do sound like it is quite manageable though! Would definitely like to know more :) How long did your first one take to heal?
Right now, even when I get a little harder BM, I am trying HARD to train myself not to strain. "DON'T PUSH DON'T PUSH DON'T PUSH". That's what I keep on reminding myself while my BM is coming out. Sorry for TMI :D
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ButtQueen » 22 Feb 2014, 23:30

So here is an update! I am on my period and I just hate how my period related constipation brings me back to square one. I had a large and a hard BM today that just wouldn't come out on its own. I waited and waited but it just wouldn't. So guess what? I had to PUSH! PUSH HARD! The one thing that I am not supposed to do with this stupid fissure :( Although, thankfully I am not in any pain at all but things don't feel that normal down there either. I have applied GTN. I am drinking water like a camel (10 glasses a day), eating my vegies, taking lactulose but I just don't know how to deal with my constipation issues during period! I am losing my patience here!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Just 'Pain' Tired » 23 Feb 2014, 01:03

Well, you said it didn't hurt and that is good. The naturopath I consulted said, "it's all about the pain." I don't know if lactulose is a good stool softener, is it? I used sodium dosculate (or whatever) for a softener. I also use a psyllium husk fiber supplement, which seems to help (as long as I don't also eat lots of insoluble fiber, bad combo). A lot of people on the forum like Miralax type 'laxatives.' I found those too much of a good thing for me. Stay patient and keep trying to find your best recipe even if you have to change it up for the monthly! Oh, you can also use a suppository 'in an emergency.' I bought those but have yet to use one...keep it on hand just in case! Another trick for getting a BM going is to drink either a glass or two of cold water or a glass of warm/hot water. I used the cold approach for my morning bm for a while (when I had to get it past my very painful fissure). Others on here swear by the warm/hot approach. It helps things get going from upstream so you don't have to strain.

I don't believe I have a fissure anymore. I think I have an external hemmie and sentinel pile which can still 'act up.' I posted my pain dairies on here under 'natural healing.' It took me months to heal and I'm still seeing improvement month to month. Sorry I don't have the link, but try searching for those, if you want to know more about my journey. Best of luck on your journey! It will get better... :sunny:
Just 'Pain' Tired
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby ButtQueen » 27 Feb 2014, 03:32

Thanks Just Pain Tired! I would definitely look up your journey since you healed naturally! I just entered my fourth month into this painful ordeal. There are good days and bad days. I am struggling with my BM consistency around my monthlies which turns hard and dry at the start of it and takes a 180 degree to diarrhea at the end of it! That is what re-tears my AF every time or aggravates it. When do you take psyllium husk? In the morning or at night? Also let me know the quantity if you can..
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 27 Feb 2014, 13:06

For hard dry stools when you are already on a high-fibre diet, I don't think more fibre is the answer here. That will bulk up your stools and make them bigger. It's not as if you aren't getting enough water to hydrate the fibre, because you say you are drinking camel-loads!

I recommend a mineral oil. It lubricates the stool. If you get Kondremul, it mixes with the stool and makes it easier to pass. It is not absorbed (like olive oil or coconut oil, which are absorbed long before the stool reaches the colon).
Take a tablespoon at night. If you are really bad, like during your period, you can take a tablespoon up to three times a day. I have taken a lot of the stuff. It didn't hurt me and it helped a lot. Now I don't need it. There's no dependency or anything scary.

Kondremul really really helped me. It makes the stools soft and easy to pass. You get some urgency, but I think it's worth it. You can go to your pharmacy and ask them to order it for you, or you can buy it on-line.

Ordinary mineral oils are available at pharmacies, but they are not emulsions (mixed with water), like Kondremul, so they might not mix with the stools that well. Anyway, I have not tried them, so I don't know how well they work.

Also, Kondremul even tastes good! As unbelievable as that sounds.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby ButtQueen » 28 Feb 2014, 00:35

Thank you for that wonderful advice Scientist! You are too generous. I will surely try that. The strange part about my period is that I often do not know what will I get this time: constipation or diarrhea? Ha ha. I will definitely try Kondremul now!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist