From Botox to LIS

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

From Botox to LIS

Postby vdb324 » 20 Feb 2014, 23:01

Seeing my surgery is just about a week away, it's time to get this started!

My history:

February '13 - Fissure starts; first visit to primary care doctor; visit to GI doctor
March '13 - Colonoscopy; said it just must be hemorrhoids; used Anucort
May '13 - Complained that the pain wasn't going away; recommended I see CRS
July '13 - First CRS appointment; grad student actually found AF before CRS came in; prescribed nifedipine lidocaine
Sept. '13 - No visible success from nifedipine lidocaine other than less pain
October '13 - Tag removal and botox injection; not too much of a noticeable result; lots of additional problems
November '13 - Visit CRS for follow up; not looking good, cauterizes wound; recommends second round of Botox
December '13 - Second round of botox; very helpful
January '14 - Three good weeks and then a re-tear. CRS recommends LIS, but requests I meet with GI to discuss potential IBD before LIS
February '14 - Colonoscopy, endoscopy, video capsule, blood work and MRI - nothing found; decide it's IBS
March '14 - LIS time.

A few questions before I go:
1) How long was recovery for some of you who have had LIS?
2) I still would appreciate hearing from any other women who had LIS and if they had any problems with incontinence.
Last edited by vdb324 on 30 Mar 2014, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Re: From Botox to LIS

Postby Savaici » 23 Feb 2014, 21:06

This information is written by a Colon and Rectal Surgeon (CRS) who is a member of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, so you should be reasured by what he has written:

http://www.medicinenet.com/anal_fissure/page3.htm

There are a few posts about fecal incontinence on here (you will see that it is not common by the few posted in comparison to the numbers who have LIS):

search.php?keywords=Incontinence+&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Try not to worry to much about it all. Many women have had the surgery and left to get on with their lives; can't think of any who have had lasting problems with incontinence. :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby vdb324 » 23 Feb 2014, 22:20

Thank you! That is very reassuring.

I am looking forward to continuing on life - especially getting back to running and hopefully, spin class!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 29 Mar 2014, 09:40

Hi all. I'm post-LIS now.
The first day was relatively pain-free. I didn't take any painkillers. But, they did inject some sort of pain relief to the area that lasts 2-3 days. On the second day, I had a very loose bm, probably a result of the fast and eating vegetables afterward. No pain, just some discomfort from stitches. I still haven't taken any painkiller meds, so either that injectable one they gave me is working miracles or I have very little pain. The hardest part is a) my sore throat from anesthesia and b) not feeling like it's easy to clean down there.
But, I'm feeling very good about the pain aspect for now. It's nothing compared to the fissure when it's most active. I wonder why they don't prescribe painkillers then!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby leanne27 » 30 Mar 2014, 01:19

sounds great! Hope this is your road to recovery.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby vdb324 » 30 Mar 2014, 10:26

Day three was a bit concerning, but I've learned not to take the first few days following surgery as the direction your healing is going in.
First, woke up and had a bm right away. Fairly soft, but a lot of pressure when coming out. This resulted in some blood, which the CRS said would be normal. Then, I took my sitz bath and noticed that I could feel the pressure releasing from my muscle as I sat there. Instead of consistent spasms that last for hours and are bit more numb, these were a bit more sharp and only lasted for about five minutes. It would hurt when releasing, but then it felt better than before afterward. I'm not really sure how to explain it. I'm hoping it's good, seeing I don't have any pain after, but it's still a little concerning that the muscle is tightening, but perhaps things are really swollen up there.

There's still some discharge, so I have been using gauze, but this seems to irritate the operation area. Has anyone else had this, and if so, what did you do about it?
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby vdb324 » 31 Mar 2014, 10:06

Day four. Still having two bms - usually within an hour of each other. They are really soft, but it's frustrating, because it makes my muscle spaz out more. I think I can't completely evacuate because of the pain, so my body recovers some and then finishes the job. Has anyone else had this - where their body empties twice due to pain? If so, is there anything you can do to make it only once? Would taking a pain pill pre-movement help reduce the pain and help me evacuate the bowels, or is it not a voluntary response? I feel like this would cut back on some of the pain post-movement. Baths to the rescue again.

I did wake up a few times in the middle of the night from some pain, which felt like a large muscle spasm (but not consistent like AF spasms). I am hoping it's just the incision site healing and causing the muscle some pain. I took one Tylenol, and that took the edge off. I am thinking that perhaps one lower dose pain pill can take off enough of the pain's edge to help me relax some - benefiting me and my muscle in the long run.

I've been keeping up with the high fiber diet. So far, no rash, but I was prescribed Diflucan (due to the rash last time) and have been using gauze.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 31 Mar 2014, 12:23

Hi VDB,
I hope you are on the road to recovery now... My CRs wouldn't do LIS, now I've been referred to a new CRS. Just want this hell to end. Do you have IBS? I thought I remembered seeing a post saying you do? I have IBS and this is why my CRS was reluctant. Best of luck to you....sx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby vdb324 » 31 Mar 2014, 17:45

Thanks, Rachael. I am hoping so, too! How have you been?
I was tested for all of the IBD varieties and all tests came back negative, so their best guess was IBS. The CRS and GI doctor didn't seem concerned about the LIS with potential IBS. The CRS just said if it continued to be a problem that we could looking into some medication options.

An update from the CRS' nurse: She didn't seem to think the sharp spasm was that strange and said that they should go away in the next few days. She said it's likely just a lot of inflammation. Saying a prayer that's the case and everything will be good soon! CRS said I should notice a difference in two weeks.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 01 Apr 2014, 14:43

Good news! I hope you continue to heal. I am pretty bad again. Sitting is hard, the hell pain and spasms! I have cried this last week most days. I just want a CRS to help me!! Praying for you. X
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!