Has anyone had a second LIS surgery?

Had one 14 yrs ago...now getting fissures again

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Has anyone had a second LIS surgery?

Postby Toobusy » 18 Mar 2014, 10:18

14 years ago I had LIS surgery for a stubborn anal fissure. After I healed from surgery, I did not have another fissure for about 10 yrs. Then, 4 years ago, I started to get small fissures again (when I started into perimenopause) that would last a day or two and heal. June 2013, I got a new fissure after drinking alcohol one night. I figured it would heal like usual and I would go on as normal. It would heal and open again, heal and open again and then one day, it torn big time. Worst fissure I ever had. That was in August 2013 and I have been fighting this since then. It seems to get healed but within a week, it's opened again. Using Miralax worked well but I find out I can't use it. It dehydrates me so badly that my eyes burn, throat gets store, heartburn and mouth burns. I was drinking 4 or more huge bottles of water to offset the dehydration but it wasn't doing the job so I wonder if it's more a reaction to the Miralax ingredient rather than the fact that it pulls water from the body.

So here I am today, after two weeks of no symptoms and just writing about being symptom free last night on this forum and this morning, it opened up again.

So the question is, has anyone had LIS a 2nd time? I'm scared that having it a 2nd time will leave me with permanent leakage and/or incontinence. Has anyone who had it a 2nd time had this happen to them?
Toobusy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Has anyone had a second LIS surgery?

Postby suzyljank » 18 Mar 2014, 13:59

Hi, there are people on this site who have had successful second LIS. I can't recall who but I know a few people have had this. As for miralax goes in a regular dose it would be difficult to cause severe dehydration as you describe. Do you have an underlying health issue? Are you able to have a normal sized bm or have they narrowed? I'm asking because what you describe could also be anal stenosis. That can also cause anal fissures. You really need to be seen by a CRS again so he can determine what is causing your situation and then you can get some help feeling better. I've had both. I had LIS and last year I had advancement flap surgery. For me a second LIS wasn't viable because my stenosis was severe. I hope you find out exactly what is going on and start on that road to recovery soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Toobusy » 18 Mar 2014, 15:01

My BM's are "normal" size. I don't have constipation either. What causes my fissures is plain old "bracing". I am a worrier and have general anxiety disorder (started to get panic attacks a few years ago but thank goodness they are few and far between). I tend to "brace" my whole body without realizing it. My shoulders are always being held up tight and when I think to relax them (like just now) I can feel the tension in my shoulders/neck subside. I get episodes of Proctalgia fugax that wake me from sleep. Then they go away for a while (months) only to return when stressed or if I sit too long on a hard surface like the floor while playing with my grand daughter. That is all stress related too just like my father has. Then of course the fear of pain --if I feel ANYTHING-at the start of a BM makes my behind clench up which causes the tear to reopen.

Thinking about it, I shouldn't have said Miralax dehyrdates me. My reaction to miralax is more of a dehydration SENSATION because I don't become thirsty and doing the skin pinch on the back of my hand doesn't show dehydration. I just FEEL dehydrated. Mouth/eyes/lips etc plus heartburn and gut rumbling and the scratchy throat..which to me is the biggest sign of possible allergy or sensitivity. I tend to be very sensitive to meds. If something has a side effect, I will most likely get it. I have alway s envied people who can take any med and not have issues with it. I always find it unfair that things that could help me almost always cause me problems. Those personal wipes people use after a BM..would love to use them but I had a bad reaction to Cottonelle ones and one side of my inner butt cheek developed a bad rash with blisters. Doctor said she has seen that before with personal wipes due to the chemical:methylchloroisothiazolinone (or MCI) in them. I'm just sensitive to chemicals (Miralax is a chemical: Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is a polyether compound with many applications from industrial manufacturing to medicine).
Toobusy
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 19 Mar 2014, 20:36

Hi, you could try milk of magnesia instead of miralax, a few people on this site use that. When you have a bm try exhaling while going, it helps sometimes. Also sit with your feet on a small stool in the squat postion, this can help a lot. It makes it much easier for stool to pass. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Toobusy » 19 Mar 2014, 22:46

Thanks Suzy...I was using a small stool but find that it tenses me up trying to keep my feet on that tiny stool so I broke down today and ordered a Squatty Potty (7"). Using the stool has really helped so I expect having a longer surface to put my feet on is going to be even better and less tension in my hips that way.

I had totally forgotten about Milk of Magnesia until I started reading this site the other night. I plan to get some on my weekly shopping day tomorrow. I'm excited to have another option to the miralax!

I will try the exhaling while going. That's something I had not seen before but makes sense to me!

Thanks again!!!
Toobusy
Fibre Addict

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 21 Mar 2014, 08:14

Hey Toobusy,

I was just going to say you should try a Squatty Potty, but you have already ordered one! I think that helped me more than any other method or thing I tried. I retore my healed fissure back in August, but I've finally been healed for the past few months again. I still use the squatty potty and take Miralax every day. If you can learn to relax the muscles down there and don't strain no matter what, I think you can eventually heal again. I breathe really deeply if I'm having a problem, and just be patient. If I'm running late, it doesn't matter, it's not worth re-tearing!
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Toobusy » 21 Mar 2014, 10:54

CrayonOfDarkness---

I'm glad to hear your success with the Squatty Potty...mine arrives today!!

I also think that the biggest strides I've seen (felt) in healing this fissure was when I started to use the tiny stepping stool we have but it puts your feet too close together and your knees want to splay out to the sides and I know that's not the optimal position like the squatty potty will create.
Toobusy
Fibre Addict