I need LIS, what do I do?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I need LIS, what do I do?

Postby FnalAissure » 21 Feb 2014, 16:10

So I'm almost positive I need LIS surgery for my chronic AF, how do I go about doing it?

I went to a gastroenterologist over a year ago and he diagnosed me with one. It was a horrible experience I might add. Never want to see him again. I used the ointment he prescribed for weeks with no results and over a year later I'm getting by using Miralax everyday.

So do I just find a general surgeon that does these or do I have to get referred? I live in California.
I really don't want to waste my time and money seeing another gastro just to tell me what I already know. He's probably going to prod his fingers up there and cause me a lot of pain again.

This whole experience is making me so depressed. I don't even think I can afford it or take off time to recover. I miss work so much and I can't tell ANYONE. They all think I'm always ditching. How do I explain it to my boss? SIGH So embarrassing I want to die. Seriously I give up on life. This is a horrible existence. I'm only 26 and I have this to deal with the rest of my miserable life?! WHY.
FnalAissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: I need LIS, what do I do?

Postby vdb324 » 21 Feb 2014, 21:42

You need to find a colorectal surgeon.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Jsingh » 23 Feb 2014, 01:00

I understand your problem having gone through the procedure twice....in experienced hands this procedure is pretty simple..the incontinence issues are way overblown...in my opinion the faster you get through the procedure the better it is because from what you are describing seems like you will need the surgery..so why suffer...as long as you get an experienced colorectal surgeon you will be fine..
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby vdb324 » 23 Feb 2014, 22:26

I would try Botox first, if you aren't opposed. There's less risk, and I was back to work the next day after my injection. There's a smaller success rate, though, when compared to LIS.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Tight5 » 11 Mar 2014, 10:55

First off, you don't need to suffer with this for the rest of your life. Find a CRS, your gastro-doc should be able to refer one to you. I'm 11 days removed from my own LIS surgery and the pain from BMs is already much less than pre-surgery and decreasing each day.

As for your work situation, you tell your boss you have a legitimate medical issue that needs attention. I don't believe you have any obligation to tell them specifically what it is but that's up to you. It is what it is and there's no need to be embarrassed by it. The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) protects your job for you while you deal with your issue. In my situation (and I make no claims of being an expert on this and the situation with your employer/benefits provider might be different), I was out of work long enough for the LIS that short-term disability kicked in which kept me from having to use any of my vacation/sick time. Again, that's only my experience. But check with your HR/benefits department at your job.

It took me a year of suffering and trying the non-surgical remedies with no luck before I realized that LIS was my only option. Don't extend your suffering any longer than necessary. Keep us updated and best of luck.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Postby FnalAissure » 27 Mar 2014, 22:27

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Sorry I was being such a drama queen. I have my ups and downs. I mostly feel down these days over all this on top of life in general.

I've been looking around for a good surgeon. I REALLY want to find a very good and competent one since I did not like the gastro I went to. I don't want his referrals. Are there any websites you can recommend to find a good one?

As for work, my company is full of unprofessional 20 somethings who are going to prod me on everything. I can already predict all the questions they will ask in front of everyone. My CEO is a cheapskate and I could see myself getting let go over something like this. I know that's wrong but my company really sucks.

To Tight5, did the procedure work for you? To jsingh, I'd be open to Botox since the risks are lower. But I'll see what a doctor says. I just want to live normally again.

As of late everything is just OK. I have no real pain when taking BMs which is good but that's mostly because I take Miralax every night and my BM is practically liquid in the morning. I have noticed over time though that it seems like my rectum is much much tighter and smaller. Possibly Anal Stenosis? I'm terrified to have a solid BM now. Or maybe just that I haven't had solid BMs for so long it's gotten used to that. I have no idea. I just hope this Miralax isn't causing me internal damage.

Thanks again! I will keep you updated when I see someone and what they suggest.
FnalAissure
Fibre Addict

Postby Jsingh » 27 Mar 2014, 22:36

I have had two lis surgeries and one fissurectomy in a span of 6 months and still continue to have issues...but this is an exception...if the anal pressure is high then in my opinion botox is a temporary solution and as soon as the effects wear off the fissure will retear...if it has healed by that ...everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with but in my opinion the best solution would be the surgery in spite of the fact that my results were not what I had expected.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby asdf123456 » 28 Mar 2014, 18:28

Hey...I am also 26 and was just starting my first corporate bullshit job as this problem was presenting myself. I was under massive stress to heal it without letting on to my young colleagues that there was anything wrong me, specifically, a chronic ulcer in my asshole that makes me want to jump off a bridge after every shit. I seriously considered resigning, or killing myself, because I didn't think there was a way out of it without them knowing. I was wrong. First of all, do not feel obligated to tell anyone at your job a single fucking detail about what is wrong with you. If they prod and ask you, make something up. That's what I did. Make up some bullshit story so that they can gossip and share details all they want while you are getting better. Tell them your liver is failing or you got bit by a shark. Seriously, the stress of this type of trauma is enough to make you want to blow your brains out *without* the added stress of having to share it with your friends and colleagues. FMLA means you can take off of work, I believe for up to six months, without loosing your job. But if you work in a corporate job, HR, likely has a third party disability servicer, i.e. aetna, cigna, who handles the claim and will be the only ones you need to tell tell about your disability. They will not tell your employer anything about your medical history other than that you are sick and unable to work. (As I double-check, I called them multiple times and ask a number of different people if they would share any medical details with my employer. Every representative I spoke to said they do not under any circumstance without my express permission.) As a California resident, I *believe* you have short term disability insurance provided by the state, so you are in a better position than most actually. I am not an expert on this stuff either, but having lived through it also as a young guy, I know what it is like to have to worry about the job and the gossip at the office. Seriously, F**K every single one of those people. Put it out of your head. If they knew what is wrong with you, they would regret ever asking, and they would certainly tell you to take as much time as you need.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Savaici » 28 Mar 2014, 20:43

FnalAissure. These are links to finding good colon and rectal surgeons. Hope they are of some help:

http://www.ratemd.com 
http://www.vitals.com 
http://www.fascrs.org
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby FnalAissure » 31 Mar 2014, 02:36

Hi jsingh, sorry I replied to the wrong person but thanks for your advice. That's unfortunate about your procedures and obviously something I worry about too. I hope something works out for the both of us soon!

thanks asdf123456 I'm glad you can relate. My company isn't quite corporate level so it's tough keeping things hush. We have one HR person and she's kind of unprofessional at times. Plus she does payroll. It doesn't make sense. I suppose I will have to make up some story like you said. I will look into the short term disability thing in CA. I mean I'm hoping it wont lead to that but is the recovery that long for LIS? Sadly I was planning to take what little vacation hours I have left for this which they might not even let me use. Ahhh still every aspect is so embarrassing....calling reception, telling them, telling the doctor, telling the pharmacy, telling HR, telling the disability people....UGH

thanks Savaici for those. I will check them out!
FnalAissure
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?