Botox diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Botox diary

Postby Still hoping » 27 Feb 2014, 17:52

I have had an anal fissure since last March. My symptoms have improved to the point that I have spasms about one day a week, if that. Most days, I do no have pain. I am very grateful for that but my fissure has not healed! I credit the symptom reduction to nifedipine or nitro ointment, changes in diet, use of squatty potty, and use of miralax, etc.

Two days ago, I had the botox injections. I was awake and my doctor does not use any anesthetic. The procedure was very quick. I kneeled and leaned forward over the special table. They lifted my butt into the air. The doctor prepped the anal area with something cool. Then he gave me warning and inserted the needle. The pain was intense but very bearable. It only lasted three second and then felt uncomfortable for a few more seconds. Then it was over. Then he injected the other side of the sphincter. He put some gauze on the outside of the area and it was all over.

I felt a little shaky so I sat down for a few minutes. Then my husband drive me home. I was walking a bit slowly because I would have on occasional sharp pain. I went home and laid down on the couch. I only had a few sharp pains in the morning and some achiness in the afternoon. I did take some ibuprofen every five hours after the procedure.

The doctor said I could return to work the same day but I took the day off. I recommend taking the day off to rest. I applied nifedipine in the evening and that was fine, a little tender but not much tenderness.

Day 2: I had an easy bowel movement, no pain, no blood. I love miralax! I applied nifedipine in the morning and evening. The sphincter felt nice and loose in the evening but tighter in the morning after the bowel movement. The botox is working but I am not sure how much it is working, I have no incontinence issues.

Day 3: Another good bowel movement. I applied nifedipine in the morning and the sphincter was tighter than last night. Not very tight at all but I guess I expect it to be very loose. I hope the fissure will finally heal up! My next doctor appointment is in 7 weeks.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Botox diary

Postby leanne27 » 28 Feb 2014, 03:30

Hope it works out for you, so far so good which is encouraging!
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Still hoping » 28 Feb 2014, 19:36

Thanks for the encouragement Leanne!

Day 4: Bowel movement was ok but not great. I forgot to take miralax last night and I have slacked off in my diet a tiny bit. I did not have any real spasm but the sphincter felt a bit tighter than the last few days. It is a good reminder to stay on the diet and keep up with the miralax!
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby Still hoping » 16 Mar 2014, 18:41

Very low energy due to nitro so I didn't post for awhile.

Days 5 through 13: no spasms, no pain. Some days I had a little irritation but very mild. Felt cautiously optimistic.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby Still hoping » 16 Mar 2014, 18:48

Day 14: Had a good bowel movement in the morning. Then had a small one in the late afternoon. I was rushing to get to a meeting and I pushed a little and felt stinging for the first time in months. Not good! I have been back in nifedipine for a couple of days and feel my energy returning.

Days 15 through 18: Mild spasms are back again.

Day 19: Moderate spasm today. I haven't had one of those in months. Very frustrated! I feel like I am going backward instead of forward. I thought I was past the point of these spasms. I switched back to nitro today and already feel tired again but nitro is the best for my spasms,
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby Still hoping » 31 Mar 2014, 18:48

Day 35
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby Still hoping » 31 Mar 2014, 18:50

Day 20 through 35: slowly recovering from the spasms, each day is a little better. I will be seeing the doctor in two weeks for a follow up.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby leanne27 » 02 Apr 2014, 07:18

sounds good. try not to get too devastated by any set backs, you're heading in the right direction, what a relief!
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Still hoping » 21 Apr 2014, 17:27

Thanks Leanne, I really appreciate the encouragement!

Days 36 through 43: each day is a little bit better. I have no idea if I have the fissure anymore or not. I don't have pain but I wasn't having pain right before the botox and still had the fissure.

Day 44: I asked my bible study group to pray for me. I didn't give them details but told them I had a wound for over a year and it wasn't healing. I didn't want to tell them anything but I felt so desperate for this thing to heal up. They were all very nice and prayed for me right there.

Days 45 through 49: My bottom is the most normal feeling that it has been in over a year. I still don't know if it has healed or not.

Day 50: I had the follow up appointment and the doctor said he does not see an active fissure! The fissure has healed! He wants me to taper to nifedipine once a day for four weeks and then stop using it. He had me set up a follow up in six weeks just in case I need it.

It's been a week since then and I am doing well. I can feel the sphincter is fairly relaxed. Now I am focusing on staying healed. I am so happy! And also nervous, don't want any recurrence.

I had wanted to post last week but we had a death in the family and things were just so crazy. I hope to post in the success stories section soon. Given my experience I would recommend giving botox a try.

Thanks to everyone here for their encouragement! And thanks to God for getting me through such a physically and emotionally difficult thing. I wish healing for everyone.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby vdb324 » 21 Apr 2014, 17:57

Great to hear!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia