LIS scheduled and scared

upcoming surgery questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS scheduled and scared

Postby Newmommy28 » 22 Mar 2014, 07:43

Hi, Everyone,

I've been on this forum the past several months after developing a fissure post-childbirth (back in September). Everyone on here has been so helpful and encouraging, and I've gotten more support and advice than I'm pretty sure I would have from any doctor. After almost 6 months of pain and repeated setbacks after I've had some relief I've decided to get LIS on April 4th.

I'm totally freaked out about surgery. I've never had any surgery before and I realize this feeling is normal. But after undergoing a horrific labor that left me unable to walk normal for 6 weeks (and having multiple other problems) I'm really scared of what the recovery will be after LIS. I don't want to go through that experience ever again and I keep picturing myself being laid up for three weeks unable to walk up and down the stairs (I know I'm probably being dramatic here. I'm pretty sure I have PTSD from my labor).

Anyway I've been reading everyone's stories and it sounds like everyone has had a different experience after their LIS. My fissure is acute and I don't believe I'm having a skin tag removal, although I could be wrong. My doctor said the worst will be the first 2 days after and they will prescribe pain medication (another thing I'm freaked out about. They gave me percoset in the hospital after I had my son and I fainted on the toilet! And doesn't this constipate?).

Is there anything I should really be aware of going into this? How long will I be unable to pick up my son (he's almost 20 lbs)? Will I be able to go up and down stairs and sit on my bottom? Will I need to wear something for leakage? Am I over-thinking this? I have asked my doctor these questions and they made it sound like it will be very simple/easy procedure but I find that hard to believe after reading other's experiences.

I'm also very concerned about having another baby after doing this type of procedure. My doctors have told me I will just need to get a c-section but still…That's nine months of pressure on my pelvic floor and bottom. After having the sphincter muscle cut I can imagine things being looser down there. I'm scared of incontinence in the future.

Any advice or tips or encouragement are needed. Thank you so much, everyone! It's been nice not feeling like I'm going through this alone. :thankyou:
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: LIS scheduled and scared

Postby Jbl22424 » 22 Mar 2014, 13:21

I am so excited for you Newmommy! I'm a new mommy as well, my son is 3 months and 14 pounds. :) I'm just getting into all the posts on this forum and finding them so helpful. Now I'm actually considering LIS down the road (I've only been actively treating my fissure for about 4-6 weeks so I feel I have to give a bit more a try). Next option may be botox, did you think about or try that route first before this? Anyways, I think LIS is the most successful and I'm excited for you. Would you post a post-LIS diary so we can follow your progress afterwards? Also, whereabouts are you located? I'm looking for a surgeon in Northern California so I am wondering if anyone has recommendations. And lastly, are you still breastfeeding? I believe my fissure came about from being constipated from breastfeeding. I'm wondering if I should give it up prior to going the botox/surgery route or not. Congrats to you on having the surgery scheduled, I'm sure it will go amazing and you'll have a pain free life back in no time!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Newmommy28 » 22 Mar 2014, 20:04

Hi, Jbl22424!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I will definitely keep a diary on here to keep other's posted. I'm sorry to hear about your fissure--it's quite possibly one of the worst things a new mom could go through. I'm pretty sure I also got mine after being told by my Obgyn that I could push when using the toilet post-childbirth--bad advice to give a nursing mommy!! I, too, wasn't drinking enough water (you know how breastfeeding totally dehydrates!). I hope that your ointments help. Mine never really did anything, but my fissure is also very deep down to the muscle. The practice I'm going to doesn't even offer Botox because the success rate is so low. I'm actually in the Washington, DC area so I don't really have any advice on physicians for where you are. Anyway I hope you're able to find done relief soon!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Jbl22424 » 22 Mar 2014, 22:33

Me too, it's so nice to talk to someone else going through the exact same thing. Having a newborn is tough enough without the worlds most painfull butt problem. Looking forward to reading your success story!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 22 Mar 2014, 22:49

Oh one more question, are you still breastfeeding? I sometimes wonder if giving it up will get my stools right. I can't seem to get the first part soft now.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby skumar » 23 Mar 2014, 05:47

Hi Newmommy,

When I see any mom and suffering through fissure then can relate easily and understand the trauma. Don't worry, you will be fine I had the surgery 6 weeks post my delivery and I am doing good except some occasional issues. First 10 days I did not sit and hold the baby but that that I was fine. Probably you can hold but its difficult to sit. I also had two skin tag removed so yours would be fairly easy I believe.pm me if you need more info.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Newmommy28 » 25 Mar 2014, 09:30

Thank you for the replies, ladies.

Jbl: Yes, I am still breastfeeding. I also wondered if quitting would make a difference but I don't think it would, unless you are very post-partum (by that I mean 6 weeks). I think that is the time when your body is really going through rough changes and you're nursing a ton. Looking back I think I didn't drink enough water then but I can say I'm really happy I didn't quit nursing. I actually really enjoy the bonding I have with my son. But if you think it may help then it's worth a shot.

Skumar: I will probably be in touch with you soon! Thank you for reaching out!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby suzyljank » 25 Mar 2014, 11:54

Hi, try not to be scared LIS is a relatively simple surgery. Most CRS don't remove skin tags, they tend to shrink when the fissure is healed. As far as pain management goes that's an individual thing. I didn't take anything other than ibuprofen after the procedure. Keep your stools soft so you don't strain after surgery and be sure to eat. You need to start having bms right after surgery so the area stretches. You'll probably find that bms will be painless. You might get a little discharge for a few weeks but that's normal. Keep the area clean, eat a sensible diet and drink more fluids and you should do great. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Jbl22424 » 25 Mar 2014, 12:17

I know what you mean. Ever since I've been considering giving up breastfeeding for this fissure... I just can't bring myself to do it.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 04 Apr 2014, 21:51

Thinking of you newmommy! Hope your surgery went well today. :)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist