New Here

Fistulotomy scheduled for tomorrow

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Here

Postby sun12fish » 06 Apr 2014, 16:22

Hi All!

I'm a 58 year old male, with a history of Pilonidal Cysts. I've had two in the past 15 years. Roughly 10 years ago, I had a procedure to remove what at the time was diagnosed as an infected hair follicle.

About a year ago, I developed a very hard and tender pea-sized lump about 1/2 inch away from my rectum, toward the tailbone. (please excuse my lack of correct medical terms) About three months ago, I developed a sinus that was discharging a pinkish color on some days and a pus on others during my workouts.

Now I'm told I have an anal fistula that must be removed. The surgeon I visited indicated I have an infected anal gland that was probably causing the cysts and that I could've been carrying this around for many years unknowingly until the fistula formed.

My surgery date is tomorrow, April 7, 2014. I have read numerous articles, watched videos and done as much research as possible to become informed.

There may be times during my recovery that I may seek advice from the group here. I will do my best to keep everyone up to date on the recovery as well.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!
sun12fish

Topics: 1

Re: New Here

Postby Scientist2516 » 08 Apr 2014, 22:57

Hi Sunfish - how did it go?
I just saw this post for the first time, so I wish you luck retrospectively :D .
It sounds as though you went into surgery well prepared. Let us know about the surgery, how it went, and how your recovery is progressing.
Take care!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby sun12fish » 10 Apr 2014, 19:35

Surgery was a success. I had some difficulty sleeping the first night from the medication. For pain relief I was given Hydrocodone. The narcotics made me have strange dreams. However, the medication did a wonderful job of masking the pain. I was also advised to take Docusate (stool softener).
Since I've had no complications and this is my second surgery in the anal region, I'd like to offer some advice;
If you have symptoms such as mine, please get it resolved as soon as possible. The items you will need in preparation are;
• Sitz Bath
• Gauze and tape suitable for the size of the wound
• Baby wipes
• Flashlight and mirror (if you are changing the dressings)
My instructions were to take the sitz baths 3 times daily. I took them each two to three hours. This allowed me to inpect the incision and change the dressing. Keeping the area clean is very important.
During my first surgery, I opted to take the sitz baths in the tub. I do not recommend this for a few reasons; 1- It is time consuming and difficult to get in and out of the bathtub. 2 - The water cools rapidly in a large area. 3 - It puts a difficult strain on the incision by sitting on a flat surface.
The plastic sitz bath allows for a gentle spreading of the affected area. It is easy to use, and stays warm for your 15-20 minute sittings. It also allows you to gently swash the affected area by hand to loosen the "stuff" gathered in the area. For the initial bowel movement after surgery, the bath helps loosen the muscles.
I cannot stress enough about the benefits of the sitz bath. In my case, it reduced the swelling and gave relief to the pain for 30 minutes or more after each sitting. By the end of my second day, the swelling and bruising was almost non-existent.
Please take your medication as prescribed. This is especially important with the stool softener. You will thank me for this the first bowel movement.
Lastly, I would like to thank the surgeon and staff at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego. Their prognosis, treatment and post-op care was nothing short of spectacular for me. Should any of you be covered by Kaiser in the general region, please feel free to contact me and I will provide the name of the surgeon.
I will give a follow-up to my progress within a few days.
Best wishes to all of you!
sun12fish

Postby HanryArthur » 09 Sep 2015, 10:55

Hi I'm Hanry.

I have 11 inches track that's what people call Pilonidal sinus. I am just 29 and have already gone through almost 8 years in hell just because of this.

Please suggest whether you think surgery is the right option for Pilonidal sinus.
Why I am asking is just because of what I have heard from many people, even from doctors, that after surgery there is 30/40% chance for re-occurrence, so I would ask you if you think surgery is a good or bad thing for this?
HanryArthur