Need some support..

New to the forums

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Need some support..

Postby Only22 » 19 Apr 2014, 15:25

Let's see. Well, I'm a 22 year old woman, and I've been struggling with anal fissures for about nine months now. I've had one of them for years.. Got that as a result of an enema when I was about fifteen; had done some barium testing for my chronic gastroesphageal reflux disorder that lead to constipation, -- but that one really wasn't all too much trouble by itself. After a long battle with drugs through my teenage years up into early adulthood, I finally am clean (nine months, two weeks, and a couple days), but I am plagued by the excruciating pain of this fissure. I was using Preparation H and hydrocortisone suppositories and hot baths. Now, I've switched up to Lidocaine which is a life saver.. Plus, ibuprofen.. I'm meeting with a surgeon for the first time on Monday as I tried that nitroglycerin cream, and I just hated it. I was so dizzy just for hours on end, and it was really interfering with my ability to be productive what with college and all. Had a bowel movement today and while I was discomforted sitting, I thought: "Hey. What if there are others out there like me?" So, I did a Google search, and happened to find this forum.. Thought I might extend my hellos and see if anyone else had any suggestions or ideas of what to do..
Only22
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Need some support..

Postby JHH » 19 Apr 2014, 16:45

Ahh yes. There is a lot like you out there. You have come to the right place. So welcome :-)

You should read some of the posts in here. There are really good advices to be found. If you are not already on a stoolsoftener, you should consider miralax/movicol, since soft BMs are the most important thing when it comes to heal a fissure. Yes, nitro will give you headache and dizzyspells, but usually its temporary. For most, it lasts about two weeks, and the fades away as the body gets used to it. However, there is an alternative that works just as good on paper. Its diltiazem.

Besides an ointment and soft BMs there are tons of other little tricks that might help you. Like squatting, prelubing with vaseline before BM, sitzbaths, colorec toiletseat etc. Its all dicussed in here, so read on!

I hope you find something that works for you, and good luck with your healing.

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Only22 » 20 Apr 2014, 11:45

Thanks for being so welcoming, JHH!
I have to ask a question.. Is it not strange to be struggling with something like this as young as I am? I mean, my diet isn't all too terrible. I do consume a lot of cheese, bread, and pasta though since the only meat I eat is fish and crustaceans; no chicken, beef, or pork. I was taking fiber supplements, but since I don't drink a lot of water, they were making my stool more solid. I use an off-brand stool softener by Equate which contains Docusate Sodium; is there a better one? I don't like stimulant laxatives though. Those get my tummy gurgling something fierce! O.O
Is water as essential as my G.I. keeps insisting to me it is?
Only22
Fibre Addict

Postby vdb324 » 20 Apr 2014, 13:45

Only22 - it's not strange. There's a number of other twenty-somethings on this board. I was 24 when mine started.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby JHH » 20 Apr 2014, 15:37

You are very welcome :-)

Well. Cheese, bread and pasta was a no go for me, since they made my BMs more firm. (I learned I needed to have #6 on the bristol scale BMs to not retear my fissure). And yes, water is important, especially when using stoolsofteners that usually works by drawing more water into the bowel.

To put it short. You need to make sure you dont get that ouch pinching feeling from your fissure while having a BM. If you want your fissure to heal, avoid those retears at all cost. Get your BMs soft, dont push, and remember to meassure your progress in weeks rather than days. Its a rollarcoaster, and it does take time to heal.

22 is young but by no means unusual.

JHH
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Postby lanahaze39 » 21 Apr 2014, 00:24

I'm a 20 year old woman, you're not the only younger person here! I've been dealing with this for a while now, I understand how awful it is. I just want my life to go back to normal. I miss being active and actually living. And yes, water is very important! Even if you're the sort of person who isn't overly affected by a lack of it, if your doctor agrees it doesn't hurt anything to increase your fluid intake, and I've noticed a definite improvment since I've upped the amount of water I drink.
xx Lana
lanahaze39
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Scientist2516 » 21 Apr 2014, 10:02

Hi Only22,
I wrote a response a day or two ago - where did it go???
Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope you find some advice and support here.
Just to re-iterate the importance of water: if you get dehydrated, the colon draws water from the stool and makes it hard and dry. Just what you don't want. So stay hydrated.

Also, as JHH says, the stool softeners draw water into the bowel. If there's not enough water in your body, they can't do that. Fibre holds water in the stool, but again, if you aren't drinking enough, you'll just have a dry fibrous stool.

I'm convinced that dehydration was the reason I got my fissure. I was only drinking tea, coffee and the occasional beer. My diet was otherwise very good - lots of fruit, veg, beans etc. However, my bulky stools wouldn't come out easily, I pushed, I got a hemmie, and then a fissure. Bam. Now I drink much more water, and don't have that problem any more.

Good luck, and stay hydrated.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby havefaith » 21 Apr 2014, 11:16

Only 22 welcome. I was 29 when this all started and i thought my god how is this possible. Its possible for anyone in any situation so dont feel alone. Ensure your diet is high in fruits and well cooked veggies, stool softners and plennnnnty of water. I too have used hard drugs over 5-6 years ago now but i know how it goes... As JHH said there are methods u can use to make defocation easier, as well as remember consistency is the way ur going to get out of here.. Nitro i agree was nuts however its quite effective. Cheese is know as the food that binds and bread and pasta are also sluggish to move through the intestines. We want foods which move through quick, high in fiber as well as easily digestible. Remember this is not forever and getting rid of a fissure is a fulllll time job!! If ur softners arent working at times use a mild laxative such as prune juice which is high in sorbitol and stimulates bowels, or try milk of magnesia or senakot if things dont run how you want them to... As jhh said its a roller coaster, but you got this, my love goes out to all who suffer, when u hurt i hurt with u cuz my fissure crippled me and really put my life on hold... Youre gonna be ok soon.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Only22 » 21 Apr 2014, 17:15

Awh. You're all so sweet. I'm glad I decided to come here and look for some guidance because it gets awful lonely struggling with something like this alone. I mean, don't get me wrong, my fiancé provides outstanding emotional support, he's always on watch to make sure I don't pass out on the john (happened once; knocked my head pretty bad), and my mother and grandmother care, but it's nothing like experiencing the sensation first-hand. I have a question! I went to the general surgeon for the first time today, and he said something that really troubled me.. My main fissure (I have a multitude all around) is neither on the posterior or the anterior midline; the main one with the skin tag is off to the side, and I was reading that off to the side is an indication of disease or cancer which automatically triggers anxiety. Another thing he prescribed for me is Valium 5mg which he would like me to take prior to each bowel movement which kind of makes me nervous. I really don't want a woozy head as I need to be able to function what with my studies and all, you know? ..and he told me to start taking Metamucil. I found some that come in packets. Is one packet per glass of water enough a day?
Only22
Fibre Addict

Postby Only22 » 21 Apr 2014, 17:17

Oh! I forgot to mention.. He's referring me to an anorectal surgeon, but he warned me that the lateral internal sphincterotomy can cause incontinence. O.O
Only22
Fibre Addict