Do I have an anal fistula? :-(

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Do I have an anal fistula? :-(

Postby sugarspice » 03 Apr 2014, 13:14

Ok, firstly I have a chronic anal fissure which I have just had a second round of botox for as the first lot didn't work.

I am 4 days post botox and I already feel different pain to the pain I had the first time round. This time it is sore to wipe after a BM, last time I had the burning pain from hell, which most fissure sufferers will be used to! They are def two different pains.

I had a look at my bum in the mirror and noticed there was pus around it. I also saw what looked like a line on the 'outside' of my bum (my fissure is internal) and some sort of little hole. It is very difficult to tell if that's what I can see , because it is all still very sore, bruised, plus I have a skin tag and a 2nd degree hem, so you can see why it's hard to see anything for definite!

I am worried that if this is a fistula, the botox/opening up i've just had done HAS CAUSED IT :-( They did say they 'cleaned' the fissure too.

Just to be clear my fissure is internal, long and deep and up to the dentate line, but it's DEF only internal...or it was :-(

Can anyone help? I'm pretty mortified now as apparantly a fistula is a different condition (or is it the fissure tear continuing from inside to outside?) and would mean a different lot of surgery.

I know I don't have cancer or anything terrible and neither of my kids are suffering and I keep reminding myself of these things, but help my god, i'm so fed up :pray: I have had the fissure 9 months now.

SS
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Re: Do I have an anal fistula? :-(

Postby JHH » 03 Apr 2014, 13:48

I just PM'ed you.

In short, I dont think its a fistula. Maybe an abcess caused by the botox injections. As I understand it all fistulas starts out as abcesses, and that it takes time for a fistulas to develop from an abcess. More than 4 days.

My botox also left me very sore, but without burning. Hopefully this botox works as well as mine :)
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby sugarspice » 03 Apr 2014, 14:01

Thank you JHH :lol:

If it is an abcess and I catch it before it turns in to a fistula, I will do this dance...

:cheerleader:
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 03 Apr 2014, 16:28

Get it checked out soon 'i left mine after botox and was in so much pain felt I'll got chills ect turned into abscess which had a fistula ,this in less than 2 weeks after botox 'i also had a large lump which was the abcess'
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby sugarspice » 04 Apr 2014, 06:46

Thanks Richibeno, trying to get seen today. What did they do for you??
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 04 Apr 2014, 08:06

Long story '
Started with a fissure had botox and Pollyop removal still in pain kept going to see my surgeon 'i wish I'd let him look one time I was in so much pain he would have spoted it earlier 'it thenturned into an abbcess'wich was so much pain and a lump had chills and felt Ill '2 weeks after the botox I had the op to cut out abcess'and clean out the rubbish unfortunatelythis also led to fistula which went through my internally sphincter had to have a drainage Seton put I the fistula tract 'when it all settled down I had a fistulotomy 'tl remove the fistula tract but he had to cut some muscle and I have a gutter in the muscle now '
Generally m not to bad bit sore now and then and have to have a clean up about an hour after a bm 'a little debris gets stuck in the gutter
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby owmybum » 11 Apr 2014, 14:58

How did you get on sugar?? Was it an abcess or just swelling from the Botox???

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sugarspice » 14 Apr 2014, 13:39

Ooh Richibeno, that sounds awful, you poor thing!! So glad you are ok now!

OMB, I am VERY relieved to tell you that a surgeon had a look at it (I went back in to hospital on a pain relief drip as was in SO much pain :-( ) and I had an infection in one of the injection sites, pus and all the lovely stuff. They gave me strong antibiotics and so far (fingers crossed) I am doing a lot better. I am a bit scared to say this out loud but I have had 3 pain free days in a row (well not pain 'free' but just discomfort and slight pain) but on Friday I was in lots, so just seeing how I get on now :-) Thanks for asking. How are you? xx
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 16 Apr 2014, 13:00

I'm so relieved it didn't turn into a fistula, and you got it sorted so fast.!!

I'm still much the same, good and bad days.... Mostly bad! Lol just waiting for my appt in may to have further discussions with mr w about the flap surgery.

Hope things stay good for you

OMB xxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sugarspice » 21 Apr 2014, 03:32

Oh good luck OMB. So please you are being seen soon-ish and they have an idea of how they can help you :-)
xxx
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?