Possible upcoming surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Possible upcoming surgery

Postby 19seventy » 16 Mar 2014, 12:25

Good afternoon all, I've been lurking for awhile and had a couple of questions. First I had 5 external hemi,s removed on 4/1/13 (note for me don't have surgery on April fools day). Got all swelled up and then tightened up badly, stenosis.

In July I went for an LIS for the stenosis with no progress. These both were through an inexperienced surgion, won't do that again. In September he through his hands up and said he didn't know what was going on.

A couple of weeks ago I went to a board certified CRS who was recommended by both my doctors and my wife's. Diagnosed with a chronic fissure and stenosis, plus another hemi. He said he wants me to try nephi for 6 weeks and then come back. If no improvement in 6 weeks,LIS and possible anoplasty, Y or V I believe. Pretty much said first surgeon took to much with the hemi surgery and looked like not enough on LIS.

I'm interested in the recovery. Due to an allergic reaction with oxy on my discharge I did both of these surgeries on 800 ibuprofen 3 or 4 times a day. Pretty painful on the hemi surgery and not bad with LIS. I did get valum for the second surgery and I was pretty mellow with that. Went back to work within 10 days of both surgeries and firefighting within 2 1/2 weeks. Never shook the pain, spasms etc, but life does need to move on. I have the 6 to 10 hours of pain after bm's. Some days I'll take 400 mg ibuprofen but try not to take anything. Diet not a real issue. I've all ways done more fiber than recommended and the only time I've ever been constipated is after the hemi surgery, dr's office never told me about miralax. Two bm's in the morning and what I ate for the day previous is out including dinner. I usually always have drank a gallon of water a day so there usually never dry.

Would you folks know how painful the anoplasty recovery is or the time frame? I can only find a few posts about it. I'm fortunate to have months of leave but that doesn't mean it's easy to take. Every time I get down about how I feel I try and think a lot of other folks have it worse than me.

Thank you for your time.
19seventy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Possible upcoming surgery

Postby suzyljank » 21 Mar 2014, 09:01

Hi, I had advancement flap surgery almost a year ago. I had double flaps done with the donor sites left open (ouch). Initial recovery for me was 8 weeks but the doctor told me it will take about 2 years for things to fully settle down but remember I had 2 flaps done. I don't like narcotics either. Since I was in the hospital for a few days I was on Toradol and it worked great. When I came home I mostly used ibuprofen but I had a script for norco (for pain) and zofran (for nausea). I only used that at bedtime and I only took half. They also gave me valium, but I didn't need much of that. The ibuprofen unfortunately aggravated my reflux disease so be careful. The pain itself was around a 5-6 for me. The spasms from the fissure and stenosis before surgery were worse. Try not to pysch yourself out. The surgery will help you. One word if I may, follow your doctors instructions to the letter. It will make a big difference in your recovery and keep the area clean so you don't get an infection. I had severe stenosis from the hemorrhoid surgery ( would never recommend that surgery). The surgery removed a lot of scar tissue and the flaps gave me healthy tissue that can stretch. I use a dilator once a day to keep the tissue pliable. It's nice to be able to pass a decent size bm again. I take care to eat enough fiber, take a half dose of miralax at bedtime to keep things softer and drink more fluids during the day. I'm just amazed that I found a doctor who could help me. I wish you all the best. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby 19seventy » 21 Mar 2014, 15:37

We're you off work for 8 weeks? How big are the donor sites?

Thanks
19seventy
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 21 Mar 2014, 16:22

Hi I wasn't working at the time. I probably would have been off of work for about 2 months though because I couldn't really sit very well with flaps done on both sides and because each time I used the restroom I had to wash the area thoroughly, even if I only peed. You have to keep everything clean so infection doesn't set in and compromise the flaps. The donor sites were about the size of a silver dollar each.
suzyljank

Postby 19seventy » 22 Mar 2014, 06:15

Thanks Suzy, I'm not overly concerned about the LIS (except incontinence and infection). The pain from that wasn't anything like the hemmy removal. 8 weeks would be pretty tough to be off work but you can't have control over everything. If the pain isn't as bad as the spasms and fissure that's a positive but everyone's different. How long was it before you could lift over 10'pounds? I think after the LIS they said 10 days.

Thank you
19seventy
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 22 Mar 2014, 07:14

Hi for me it was 3 months before I could lift things over 8 lbs. and he cautioned me against straining. I was able to do most things after 6 weeks if I could but sliding on my butt was a no no and getting up from a sitting position without sliding quite a challenge. You just adapt. Don't worry too much about the incontinence just be sure to keep the area clean to avoid infection.
suzyljank

Postby 19seventy » 19 Apr 2014, 13:52

Well it's no more possible surgery. I'm scheduled next week. I asked what was going to be done and my CRS said two options LIS or LIS with anoplasty. He said he didn't want to commit till he can see for sure everything that's going on. Seemed fair enough. I'm apparently to tight to give a definite answer while awake. I asked about recovery, LIS a few days and anoplasty 7 to 10 days. I asked how realistic these time frames are what he normally see's.

Not full recovery of course but able to get back to work.

So I hope he's right. Seems hes the most highly recommended in the area so maybe it'll be all good.
19seventy
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 23 Apr 2014, 20:05

I was told for LIS about 4-6 weeks and with anoplasty it depends on what is done but my recovery was 8-10 weeks initially and 2 years for complete recovery. The only advice I can give you is follow your post surgery instructions to the letter. I did everything they told me to do even if I didn't want to and I believe it made a difference. I had to wash after every trip to the bathroom even if I didn't have a BM. My husband would get up in the night to make sure everything was clean and dry and then he had to dress the wounds for me. It was team work for the first 8 weeks. I hope things go well for you. Good luck, Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby 19seventy » 24 Apr 2014, 06:38

Had surgery on Monday. Was kept in overnight and released the next day. The reason I was kept overnight didn't have to do with the anoplasty but do to an issue with the IV. When I got out of surgery I felt no pain. CRS told me everything went well LIS and Y anoplasty. Overnight end and was released next day.

Before being released he told my stricture was small enough he could barely get two q tips in. Guess that's why I was hurting. He told me where the anoplastynwas done and covered two fissures. It was in an area he doesn't like to do it but felt he had no choice. Said I'll be sore and some minor blood and pain after a bm. Released with Vicodin and colace. I stopped taking Vicodin on Tuesday afternoon and knock on wood haven't needed it yet. Was told regular diet and not to lift over ten pounds for 7 to 10 days.

I didn't eat any hospital food and only ate fruit and vegetables till I passed the first stool. Wednesday I passed two not to bad. More discomfort than pain. I braced myself and didn't need to. Pain scale all day 0-3 depending on what I was doing and how I was laying. Slept great.

Today two bm,s so far, which is normal, slight sting on second due to very watery. Mainly discomfort.

I'm trying to keep myself clean and cleaning up all the discharge to keep the burning down. Going to take it easy again today and tomorrow. I get up and walk around every couple of hours. So far I'm pleased but with so many ups and downs over the last year I'm waiting for the shoe to drop.
19seventy
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 24 Apr 2014, 06:48

Hi 19seventy,

I'm glad to read your surgery went well, and that pain for you is at a minimum.... That's great!
Take it easy..... I will be following you with interest, as I am going to be having advancement flap in the near future.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !