new in here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

new in here

Postby ohnonotagain » 26 Feb 2014, 09:17

Hi everyone,

I´ve been sneaking around here a bit and reading your stories and advices, but never got to register and write. Actually I didn´t think I would have to since I did get better for a while.

I had a baby five months ago. Everything went fine, but a month after the birth, I was a little constipated and tore. I remember the exact moment. I didn´t think much of it, because it didn´t hurt much at first, but then it didn´t get better. Next time I had to go, it was very painful, and after that I get scared and tried to avoid going as often. I know better now...

Anyway, after about two months of trying to get this AF to heal, and also the fact that my hemorrhoids were starting to get worse after the pregnancy (they were almost gone!) I went to the doctors. I also had to tell my husband about it, since I was in such pain, some days I could not sit or stand, all I could do was lie down. The first doctor I went to could not do much, he referred me to another one. Unfortunately I had to wait SEVEN WEEKS until I could get an appointment with the new doc, so I called again and demanded some kind of help. This is when they prescribed Rectogesic, and about two weeks after starting on that, I could actually go without feeling any pain. I couldn´t believe it!
Once I got to the second doctor the fissure was healed, but he advised me to stay on Rectogesic for three weeks more. I did, but I missed it some days, I have to admit. He also scheduled me for surgery to remove the external hemorrhoids.

A whole month passed, everything OK. Then a week ago a went to the bathroom and it happened again... I wasn´t even constipated. At first I didn´t feel much pain, but the next day was horrible. Now I have pain on and off.

I was sooo relieved when it healed the first time, and so happy that I could finally go for long walks with my baby and just enjoy life again. Now I´m afraid this will keep happening to me, again and again and again... Also it might not be a good idea to get the hemorrhoids removed while having an active fissure, or what to you guys think? Will that be too much pain at once?

I hardly ever get constipated, so I wonder why this had to happen to me? Could it be that the skin in that area gets stretched when giving birth, and that makes it more vulnerable?
ohnonotagain

Topics: 1

Re: new in here

Postby ButtQueen » 27 Feb 2014, 00:39

Hi ohnonotagain! Sorry you are going through this AF hell which is keeping you from enjoying the beautiful days with your baby! AF can easily be caused by childbirth and new moms are more prone to fissures because of the reason that you mentioned, even though there might be no constipation.
One of the most important things to remember with anal fissures is that they take a lot of time to heal completely. By lot of time, i do mean a lot of time. You might feel "healed" due to no pain, bleeding etc. What you need to understand is that although your AF might have healed to a point where there is no pain, the complete healing and strengthening of the fissure site might take months! So you need to continue your fissure-friendly diet and whatever it takes to keep those stools soft for at least 6 months, so the partially healed fissure can heal completely and get strengthened.
For me, I got my fissure in Nov'13. I have partially healed, and re-tore at least three times up till now. So you can imagine how long fissures take to heal and how long do they need to be taken care of. Since the fissure site becomes extremely sensitive, sometimes even a slight harder stool can bring you back to square one. Therefore, keep those stools really soft.
I don't have external hemorrhoids thankfully, so I cannot give you any advice on that. Someone else might be able to throw light on that subject. My only suggestion is 1) keep stools soft (drink lots of water, eat vegies and fruits) 2) do not strain at the toilet. You have healed once, you can heal again! Do not be disappointed by setbacks. It is a roller coaster ride with anal fissures but eventually you will heal. Good luck and congratulations on your baby :)
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Now66 » 08 Mar 2014, 10:22

Time, patience, and persistence are key to natural healing - at least speaking for myself.

At 4 months, it occurred to me that I might survive.
At 6 months, I no longer lived in fear of the next BM.
AT 12 months, I thought I was fully healed - still using a vasoline pre-lube
Now, at 18 months, I don't even think about it.

However, I am unfailing with Miralax, Metamucil, ground flax seed, wipes,and lots of water. I don't ever want to have to go through this again!
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby ButtQueen » 08 Mar 2014, 11:13

Thank you Now66! That was truly inspirational :D
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ohnonotagain » 11 Mar 2014, 07:45

Hello again,

Thank you all for your answers. Buttqueen, I had no idea it would take that long... From now on I will absolutely be very careful and eat lots of fruit and drink a lot of water.
For the moment Everything is quite OK actually. No bleeding, and hardly any pain. I had a rectoscopy today, which was painful but it was possible. A few weeks ago it would not have been possible at all, so I´m thankful Everything seems to be improving. I hope it heals completely now!
ohnonotagain

Postby ButtQueen » 11 Mar 2014, 08:30

Good to know you are clearly onto that road of recovery. Stay on it! Good luck :)
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ohnonotagain » 03 May 2014, 14:04

Back again.... :(
About a month ago I had two skin tags removed. That was what was left from the hemorrhoids I got while pregnant. They didn't bother me much, but I really felt it was not hygienic at all, so I had them removed. Now, during surgery they did a rectoscopy as well. Afterwards they told me that I had TWO fissures, which came as a total surprise to me.. I have not had any pain in the back, the only one bothering me was the one in the front. Now though, after the surgery, it has become a problem. I'm wondering if they might have damaged me somehow while performing the rectoscopy? I really had no problems before the surgery. The first fissure had healed quite fine, two retears but never as bad as it was at first.
After the surgery I was so afraid of getting constipated, but due to being still and not moving around, that was exactly what happened. Oh, the pain. I had an open wound from the surgery, and then this new fissure...

Now, the wound from removal of the skin tags is almost completely healed. I on GNT again and hope to get some kind of effect from that. Also thinking of changing my diet. I normally don't have a problem with getting constipated, so this feels so unfair that it is happening to me. Anyway, I really really really enjoy chocolate and cakes and stuff, but am actually thinking of trying to quit sugar. Anyone else has tried that and noticed any effect?
ohnonotagain

Postby ButtQueen » 03 May 2014, 22:11

Hi ohnonotagain. First off, here's a big hug for you. :smilyhug: I thought you might be needing that :)

Moving on, it all varies from individual to individual. For me, cakes and chocolates and all kinds of sugary stuff hardly pose any problem with regard to constipation. I can eat them safely without the worry of being constipated. You will have to check for yourself if they actually constipate you or not. I believe a treat once in a while cannot do any harm! Good luck ohnonotagain, hope you recover very soon...

P.S: I believe I have healed. I have had three whole pain-free months now and they were absolutely heaven! I can't thank God enough everyday! One thing that i am NEVER going to do on toilet, ever again: STRAIN!
ButtQueen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ohnonotagain » 04 May 2014, 01:36

Wow, three months?! That's great ButtQueen! Congratulations, hope you stay fine! And hanks for the hug :)
ohnonotagain

Postby Alyssa » 11 May 2014, 16:41

Happy to hear that you are pain free buttqueen!
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26