Botox Poll

Questions for those who have had botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Botox Poll

Postby Jbl22424 » 04 May 2014, 19:01

Hi All,
I was wondering if the folks who have had botox might answer a few general questions for me?

1) Did botox stop your spasms/make you pain free?
2) If so, how long did it take to kick in?
3) Were you sore after the injections?
4) If so, for how long and how painful was it?
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Botox Poll

Postby Rachael 1984 » 05 May 2014, 03:11

Hi JB,
I had Botox last April. I think it depends on how far gone a Fissure is, as to how effective it is.
It took 3 weeks for me to feel any difference. I also had hems banded and I had 3 Fissures, so my case was chronic, as I was 7 months in since first being diagnosed.I was pain free for a short period, but not long as it didn't work for me. It was sore afterwards, but nothing worse than the fissure pain. Mine were too far gone, and I may be having surgery soon....

JHH healed on Botox, he has a diary on here which you can take a look at. Also Sugar spice has too, I think she is on her second round of Botox and doing well.

I think it depends on the surgeon too, as some use Botox, some don't.... My new CRS said it wouldn't be an option now for me. Good luck, and I think if you are not to far gone with your Fissure, get the Botox done, it may well heal you.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Still hoping » 05 May 2014, 19:54

Hi Jbl,

I had botox the end of February 2014 and my anal fissure did heal afterwards. I wrote a short botox diary that you can read if you want. I was awake for the procedure and didn't use any sedatives.

When I had the botox I was mostly pain free but not entirely. I would have a flare up right before my period and the spasms would come back. Then I would recover after some time and feel better. But I still had the fissure! I had the botox and felt good, no spasm for two weeks. Then the spasms came back two weeks after botox. Eventually the spasms went away again. It was really around week six that I started to feel like I might not have a fissure anymore, I felt more normal. At week seven I had a follow up and was pronounced healed. Through the entire time I still used nifedipine.

The botox definitely kicked in over the first 24 hours to first week. I could feel a difference putting in the medication. I also had extremely mild gas incontinence.

After the botox injection I had some sharp stabbing pains for a couple of hours. I had maybe three or four an hour so it was mild. I was a bit sore for a day. I used ibuprofen during that time. I was surprised that I wasn't more sore than I was.

Botox worked well for me, I would do it again without hesitation if I had another fissure.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby vdb324 » 05 May 2014, 19:58

This is a GREAT idea for a poll. Particularly because I think the Botox helped a lot with pain, but yet did not fully heal the fissure, so I'm interested in if anyone else had benefits, but wasn't necessarily healed.
(1) Lessened spasms a lot
(2) It's hard to say when it really kicked in. I usually noticed the best improvements in week three.
(3) First one, yes, as I had a tag removal (worse than LIS in terms of pain!) and second one, no, other than the gauze they shoved right up alongside the fissure...
(4) A week for the one with LIS; 10 hours/when I removed the gauze

Basically, the second round was much more successful, and I attribute it to the fact that I didn't have a tag removal done, too. However, after four weeks, I retore again. However, the full pain spasms were never as bad since having it done.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby Jbl22424 » 06 May 2014, 12:09

Thank you so much everyone for this info! So helpful. I go in for botox in 2 weeks, unless my surgeon decides I need LIS after seeing things up and close... scary. We'll see what happens. It is so nice to read your accounts.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Apes » 29 May 2014, 19:02

1-yes Botox stop my spasm. Pain free maybe, just a little discomfort
2-started to kick in 5-7 days. Been getting better every week. Currently at day 25
3-sore after anesthesia wore off
4-sore for 24 hours, about same as fissure spasm. Days 2-6ish still had spasm

Maybe Botox should be added as a main thread. It might make it easier to find information. Just a thought.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17