Hemmy treatment with AF

Ice for he my?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Hemmy treatment with AF

Postby Apes » 14 May 2014, 10:09

So I have an external hemmy that swells after every BM and seems to aggravate the AF. if I ice the hemmy the swelling goes down but I'm afraid the AF will not heal as well because I'm not letting the blood flow. What I have been doing is icing the hemmy for about 5-10 minutes then taking a warm bath. It helps the hemmy, am I hurting the healing process if the AF? Had Botox 9 days ago.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Re: Hemmy treatment with AF

Postby Scientist2516 » 15 May 2014, 22:24

Hi Apes,
I don't think icing the hemmie for 5-10 mins will have a bad effect on the fissure. Don't they recommend alternate ice/heat for sports injuries, where you want to increase blood flow?
If it makes you feel better, keep doing it.
I used to worry the opposite - that sitting on a heat pad would aggravate my hemmie. I did some reading around, and couldn't find that heat was bad for hemmies, so stopped worrying. Eventually the hemmie went away. My fissure is 99.95% better now.
Good luck with the botox, I hope it helps you.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Apes » 16 May 2014, 19:19

Thanks scientist2516, glad to hear your fissure is almost completely healed, I can't imagine how good that must feel. So I'm on day 12 of the Botox and I'd like to think it's working. I have 2 good BMS a day in the morning, without much pain during and after. The odd thing is the external hemmy didn't swell after the BM today but got really big much later in the day. I iced it and took a warm bath the first time and the swelling went down, several hours later it swelled again and I just now iced it. I'm sick of baths so I may just rest and see what happens. The ice brings down the swelling quickly and the hemmy is a little red but soft and not painful. I wondering if I should stop using nifedipine and lidocaine as that increases blood flow and may be part of the reason the hemmy is swelling. It's a fine balance down there for sure. This forum is great, I think collectively we are better informed then most doctors.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Apes » 17 May 2014, 08:46

Follow up, Day 13 Botox. Wake up, virtually no swelling around butt, in fact wife said anus looks normal. had good BM this morning followed by usual routine of bath and rest after. Got up made breakfast, within 15 minutes of moving around I could feel the hemmy swell. Got back in bed iced it and it shrinks. Now I'm not really complaining, this is much preferred to the pains of the fissure, just frustrating. The hemmy is soft, normal color and not painful, but once it swells it prohibits me from moving around and the only way to get swelling to go down is ice and or heat and rest. I guess I'm just venting, want to go outside and enjoy the day but got to keep the swelling down.
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 May 2014, 22:23

It sounds like the pressure of standing up aggravates your hemmie, rather than the blood flow as such.
It's true that nifedipine relaxes the blood vessels (that's why it increases blood flow, and also why it's used for blood pressure medication). But I don't think that would hurt the hemmie in and of itself.
Lying down is probably the best thing you can do. Though, not always possible! Hemmies are nasty, no doubt about it.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16