Cari's diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Cari's diary

Postby carinae23 » 28 May 2014, 09:21

May 28, 2014

It's been about a month and half since The Bowel Movement From Hell which apparently started my AF. Since then I've changed my diet considerably...eliminated red meat, added more whole grains and lots and lots of fruits and veggies, and greatly increased my water intake. I also started taking Metamucil 3xs a day and was also taking Colace.

Things improved to the point two weeks ago of where at least my BMs weren't killing me anymore, so I dropped the Colace. I experienced no problems and things continued to improve. I cut back the Metamucil to twice a day last week because I was having too many BMs, and that seemed to work out fine too.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, I was sooooooooooooo happy and thankful because I was actually able to enjoy the weekend and go places with my boyfriend instead of having to spend half the day laying on my side. I really couldn't believe it! I could actually go for a long car ride and not be shifting in my seat and thinking about the pain in my a** the whole time. It was like a miracle.

:groan:
THEN...I think because I indulged over the weekend (beer, hotdogs and such), I had a BM this morning where I had to strain just a little bit and the pain (and a little blood) came back. BUT, that was at 7 this morning and it's now 10 AM and it's subsiding and I can sit at my desk and not want to scream and cry like I did previously. So at least I'm not back to square one. I'm going to go with Metamucil 3 xs a day again for a couple of days at least and seriously watch what I'm eating, etc. Valuable lesson learned!
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Cari's diary

Postby Apes » 28 May 2014, 09:39

Cari, sorry to hear you are having pain again. You need to stick with a fissure friendly diet fir a very long time. Don't risk it even when you feel better. Be careful with the Metamucil, I started with it but found it bulked me up to much and my BM were too large to pass easy. I switched to benefiber, I also use miralax at night to keep my BM soft. It has worked great for me. I think most people in the forum like miralax.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby carinae23 » 28 May 2014, 11:46

Thanks Apes! I knew when I was eating wrong over the weekend that I shouldn't be doing it. Won't do that again for sure. The Metamucil seems to be working for me ok as long as I drink a lot of water. When I drink less water than I should things get bulky like you said. Is Miralax like Colace?
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Postby Apes » 28 May 2014, 11:51

Yes I believe both are softeners.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Jbl22424 » 28 May 2014, 21:22

I take a full dose of miralax plus 3 colace each day, and a little benefiber. This works for me most days, though I still have bad days... not sure why with all those drugs! Cari - I prefer miralax to colace, I think it is more effective. It is also not habit forming so you can take it long term.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby carinae23 » 29 May 2014, 09:38

Thank you for the info! I was a little worried about staying on Colace for too long and getting dependent on it which was why I nixed it after I started feeling a bit better. I'll definitely look into the Miralax if things get to the point again where I need a softener.
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Postby carinae23 » 29 May 2014, 09:42

May 29, 2014
After my bad morning yesterday I went back to 3 doses of Metamucil and this morning things were better again. Not quite as good as over the weekend, but almost there. Some pain and a tiny bit of blood with the morning BM but the pain subsided pretty quickly and I'm almost pain free now at 10:40 am and able to sit at my desk and concentrate with no problem. (Of course I took a pain reliever this morning too just in case so that always helps.) I'm going to do the 3 doses of Meta again today and stick with a good diet and hope for an even better tomorrow.
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Postby carinae23 » 30 May 2014, 09:11

May 30, 2014
Some pain this morning but not bad (2 out of 10 I guess) and bled a little again. Not terrible. Pretty much the same as yesterday. Can sit at my desk and concentrate ok...just a little uncomfortable. Will do 3 doses of Meta again today and try to eat better than yesterday (no more cheating!)
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Postby carinae23 » 03 Jun 2014, 09:19

June 3, 2014
Could it be that I'm feeling so much better that I've forgotten to write in my "diary" the past few days?? The weekend was good...some minor pain after BMs but nothing that really effected me. Then as of yesterday, relatively pain-free BMs; however, there is still bleeding after I go, but I think that's from my old friend the internal hemmie that I've had since I was in my early 20s and not a retear of the fissure.

I've been watching what I eat pretty well (not 100% though) and still drinking lots of water, taking Metamucil 3xs a day, and I added Colace before the weekend because I had that one bad day last week. I think I'm going to stay on the Colace for maybe one more week. I'm feeling so much better and almost normal, but I'd love to be completely pain free and get that hemmie to stop bleeding too. Almost normal is fabulous compared to how I was feeling previously, but completely normal would be heaven.
carinae23
Fibre Addict

Postby carinae23 » 04 Jun 2014, 09:08

June 4, 2014
Dang...had a tiny BM last night where I strained and this morning's BM was a little painful and I'm a bit sore. Not too terrible, more annoying than anything. Going to be very careful of what I eat today.
carinae23
Fibre Addict