LIS 2 days ago :)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS 2 days ago :)

Postby Sarah14 » 15 Jun 2014, 01:12

Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum for months reading about other peoples experiences and I finally had my LIS on Friday 13th (typical that I get that date!) so I thought it would be good to join and tell ppl about my experience.

I first had my fissures (yes both anterior and posterior!) about three years ago, I was given Diltiazem cream that worked initiially but I was always in pain or bleeding or having bad thrombosed hemmorhoids at some point in the last few years. Since the birth of my son 6 and a half months ago things kicked up a notch with my chronic fissure at the back ( the place where most fissures are). I have two very large skin tags as well that annoy the hell out of me.

I have seen one of the top colorectal surgeons in Birmingham (England). He was not sure whether he was going to remove my skin tags as they are very large and to remove them would leave two large open wounds as well as the LIS incision site. I had an endoscopy and anal mamometry done before the surgery and the surgeons told me I have slight muscle damage in part of my sphincter and a high anal resting tone which is why I get my fissures. I had my surgery on Friday and I was very nervous before hand as I suffer from anxiety quite badly. But the staff were very funny and calming and it went amazing :D I woke up feeling very happy and giddy.

Unfortunately the surgeon had to go straight off after my surgery so I haven't actually spoken to him since. I left that night and had a look and he has decided to leave the tags, which I am annoyed about but relieved as the pain and recovery is now significantly less. I feel amazing. I have an aching bruise pain at the incision site but absolutely none of that wonderful agonising fissure pain. No spasm. I did my first post surgery poo yesterday and I was quite constipated and it took me a few goes to get it out and there was pain at the incision site but again no fissure pain, no spasm, I cried after it was so good. I've done another this morning and same again. I know I wouldn't be as upbeat and happy about this if I had had a fissurectomy or tag removal on top of the LIS but this feels amazing :D All I've taken is ibuprofen since my surgery.

I wish I had done this sooner. If anyone is considering this and is worried just get it done, it's gone fine for me.

Sarah xxx
Sarah14
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: LIS 2 days ago :)

Postby Apes » 15 Jun 2014, 04:59

Sarah, Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. Constipation is probably result of the anesthesia and should pass. From what I have read I think it was a good decision to do just the fissure at this point, Get that healed and see how things are going after then you can make a decision. Keep healing and keep us posted.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Sarah14 » 15 Jun 2014, 07:52

Since posting that this morning the incision site has become very swollen and I have a very dark bruise around it. Also the pain has increased quite a bit. Still nothing compared to the fissure pain, it's more like a thrombosed hemmorhoid pain, and looks that way.
Is it meant to swell like this?

Sarah x
Sarah14
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 16 Jun 2014, 15:43

I had a lump at the incision site, too. I saw this and a lot of bruising around day 4 I think? It wasn't causing any pain but looking gave me anxiety so I decided not to look again until just before my two week follow up appointment. By that point, all evidence of the surgery was completely gone and things look just back to normal. From what I've read, a lump at the incision site is pretty normal. Sounds like you're doing great!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Ray » 16 Jun 2014, 22:01

Glad to hear your positive results thus far, and it is great to hear so many others experiences, as well as knowledge of this awful topic. This is surgery number 8 for me, but I am probably more apprehensive about this one, or so it seems at the moment, LIS is scheduled for Wed. I have had this fissure condition with the locked up muscle for 6 months, so looking forward to all of this being over, as I am sure it will be for all of us soon. Looking forward to thinking of other things. Best wishes for continued speedy recovery.
Ray
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jbl22424 » 16 Jun 2014, 23:05

You are so close to the finish line, Ray! My surgery experience was so great that I love to hear about others who are going to get it. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sarah14 » 18 Jun 2014, 02:18

Hi guys, just a quick update. I am 5 days post op now. The bruising and swelling have began to reduce now, still there though. The general pain has reduced somewhat now. Just had my poo and there was quite a lot of pain at the incision site but virtually no fissure pain and no spasm. So I don't know what's happening at the incision site to be more painful than usual but I am keeping up with high fibre diet and stool softener and I hope this will improve soon. I did notice I struggled to hold on to the poo on the way to the toilet slightly, sorry to be gross but it's impossible not to be when we are discussing topics like this... But I got a 'turtle head' as it were... It didn't bother me and if that's what happens for the rest of my life i would still pick that a billion times over fissure pain! Hell.. I'd pick full blown pooing myself and be very happy about it if it meant never feeling that pain again lol!

Does anyone know when the stitches usually dissolve?

Sarah xx
Sarah14
Fibre Addict

Postby sb2 » 18 Jun 2014, 21:30

Hi Sarah, I am at day 9 and the incision site today became very itchy, and I assumed it was the stitches. I had a bit of a setback on days 6 and 7, but yesterday was back to a relatively pain free bm. I also had to almost run to the bathroom for the first several days, but it did not last long. I go to my CRS tomorrow, so I can share what he says about stitches then. Good luck with your healing.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Sarah14 » 19 Jun 2014, 02:28

Hey sb2, I am day 6 now and I do feel like I've had a set back too. My poo was very painful today and unfortunately there is some spasm now, it did feel like a combination of fissure pain and incision pain. There was not much urgency today either, it was harder than normal too. The site itself looks better, the swelling has almost gone with the bruise getting smaller too. Please keep updating on your recovery, it's good to share it with someone going through the same thing.

Sarah xx
Sarah14
Fibre Addict

Postby sb2 » 19 Jun 2014, 08:40

Hi Sarah, I saw my CRD this morning who said my fissure is still open as expected 10 days post op (I had a fissurectomy and LIS) but that it is healing. I have to see him in 6 weeks at which time he said it should be fully healed. He did say the stitches at the incision should dissolve gradually over a few weeks.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10