New here...

Thanks for all the help so far!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here...

Postby mmklinemm » 16 Jun 2014, 22:38

I've been lurking here for the past week or so. Every time I google something fissure-related, I find myself directed to this forum. I had my first visit with a CRS today and I have tons of questions. I figure I should introduce myself first...

I first heard the term "anal fissure" a couple years ago. I went to my annual GYN check up and asked about this lump I had. The GYN said it was just an anal fissure, like it was no big deal. She advised to apply cortisone cream if it gave me problems. It didn't hurt or bleed. I was relieved it wasn't an STD, so I wasn't concerned. After my hysterectomy in 2012, I developed chronic constipation. It took me a few months to realize it because I thought my bowels were just taking a while to resume normal activity post op. I've been a runner for years, eaten real foods/fruits/vegetables with lots of fiber, no sodas, fast food, or processed junk. So adding Metamucil to my diet was about the only I could do to fix the constipation. It worked great. If I skipped even one day though, the next day was difficult. Then a few weeks ago, I came down with strep. I ended up needing 2 rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it. I don't know if it was the antibiotics or being on vacation, but I got constipated despite my nightly "old lady potion". Ten days ago I had a BM and it was the worst pain in my life. I instantly flashed back to my GYN and I knew it was a fissure. We were camping in a remote area, and all I had with me was cortisone. I toughed it out until we could get home and I could figure out what to do. I started researching here - thank you everyone for all the info here!! I started sitz baths, up'd my water intake to 2 liters minimum, added stool softeners, started taking ZMA suppliment, and stopped the cortisone. I've been using the my fitness pal app to track my foods and make sure I get at least 30g of fiber each day. I've only had bleeding twice. Both times it was when I ate way more than 30g the day before.

I went to the CRS today and he confirmed the fissure. But it's not where the sentinel pile is!! Even he was amazed. It's directly across. I'm hoping this means it will heal like an acute fissure and not linger and turn chronic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that. This has been a stressful time trying to figure out what to eat that hurts the least, all the while hurting and trying to act normal while taking care of my 2 young kids. I still can't believe I'm 38-years old and I have a proctologist.

Thanks in advance for reading!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Re: New here...

Postby Jbl22424 » 16 Jun 2014, 23:11

Your fissure is only ten days old? That is great news for you! New fissures are much more likely to heal. If I were you, I'd go buy a whole bottle of miralax and take it every day. It works far better than fiber IMO. It is harmless and non habit forming, everybody on here takes it long term. My only other suggestion would be nitroglycerin. Best of luck!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby mmklinemm » 17 Jun 2014, 07:25

I was curious about the Miralax. What does everyone use it for? Is it for consistency or regularity? It seems like as long as I keep my fiber intake right, I've been pretty regular. And the consistency of my BM has been ok, not painful. I didn't take any metamucil yesterday since my fiber from food was around 30g. That has me nervous about today. We'll see how it goes. Trying to balance all of this has been so stressful - I feel like a science experiment.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Apes » 17 Jun 2014, 07:49

Miralax is used to help keep your stool soft.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Jbl22424 » 17 Jun 2014, 10:22

Miralax is a softener. With an active fissure, you want your stool like toothpaste until you are healed and this does the trick.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mmklinemm » 17 Jun 2014, 12:59

Thanks, y'all! I bought some and some benefiber. It seems more people here recommend that over metamucil. Do you take the miralax before bed? I'm pretty sure that's the general consensus. I tried Colace for a few nights and didn't notice any difference.
Last edited by mmklinemm on 10 Aug 2014, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
mmklinemm
VIP

Postby Scientist2516 » 17 Jun 2014, 15:39

Miralax is an osmotic softener. It draws water into the gut. You do have to drink plenty (and I mean PLENTY) of water to make any kind of softener work, because the whole point is to make the stools soft and moist. Dry stools will always be hard.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Jbl22424 » 19 Jun 2014, 23:54

I take benefiber, too. I prefer it far more than Metamucil.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist