Fissures and physical activity

Exercising with fissures

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissures and physical activity

Postby Buttpainsucks » 25 Jun 2014, 10:28

Hello!
This is my first post. I've had an anal fissure for about 5 months. I've decided against surgery, at least for right now. I'm going to try one more round of diltiazem and see if that helps. I've also decided I'm not going to let my fissure take over my life. I teach group fitness classes, and those are in the evening, so they don't bother my behind. (I usually have a BM in the morning, and the pain and spasming last a few hours). However, I'm training for a half-marathon, and bc it's warm I usually go in the morning post-poo and I think it's possible it's making the pain worse! I'm so frustrated and sad about this situation, and about the fissure in general. I'd appreciate any advice.
Buttpainsucks
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Fissures and physical activity

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Jun 2014, 11:09

Hi Buttpainsucks,
Welcome to the forum - the club nobody wants to join!
How I wish I had advice for you, but all I can say is I feel your pain. I have never been a strong runner, but I was trying to get fitter by running, and I just had to give it up when I got a fissure. It did seem to make the pain worse.
Like you, I was able to do physical activity in the evenings (dancing, in my case).
So all I can say is, you are not alone. Many others have faced these problems. I am healed now, and while I haven't started running yet, I am able to be a lot more active.

I wish you all the best in your healing. It can take a long time, so don't get discouraged. You will have good days and bad days, but hopefully in the end it will all be good days.

Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Roidsfizzman » 25 Jun 2014, 11:24

Buttpain,
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with a fissure. I like the fact that you are not going to let the fissure take over your life, but at the same time you have to give it respect with diet, plenty of water and stool softner, so you can heal. What may be happening is on hot days with a lot of sweating when you are running, the water may be leaving the stool and making it worse for you after a BM. I play a lot of golf in the summer and I live in Dallas TX and I had a hard time with stool texture after hot golf days because of the excessive sweating. On days that I played golf I had to make sure I put the water leaving back into my body and take some extra MiraLax. Your fissure is in the chronic stage after 5 months. Do not let it go to much longer without taking the next step of Botox, LIS, etc. as it will get harder to heal.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Apes » 25 Jun 2014, 11:35

I agree totally with ROIDS. Also, on the golf, love to play. I would reiterate give the fissure respect. Pain and spasm is a sign it's not healing. Doing excessive activity that causes this pain will prolong if not stop any healing. I would recommend you talk to a CRS about this. I also agree it may be time to go the next step, if the fissure has not improved to date you will want to consider Botox or LIS. I chose Botox, 51 days in, and believe I'm healing. No pain, little discomfort, I think more due to Hemmy. Good luck
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby mmklinemm » 25 Jun 2014, 22:24

I can certainly empathize. I was scheduled to run my first half-marathon in September. I've had to give up training because of all this. I'm worried I'll have to give up running for good. At this point, I'm afraid to do anything that might cause a re-tear should I be lucky enough to heal this one. Since you feel good later in the day, is it possible to fit in your training runs then between/after your classes? When is your race? Do you think you'll be healed enough bynthen to race in the morning? Good luck making this hard decision! I hate not running and living/eating this way, but I hate the idea of dealing with a chronic AF even more.
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Buttpainsucks » 26 Jun 2014, 05:58

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm going to try running later in the day--not willing to give it up yet. I'll give it until the end of July and then consider going the next step. Unfortunately my little butt condition is exacerbated by a large and irrational fear of doctors, needles, surgery, etc. plus I'm a teacher on a tight budget. I rely on my supplemental income of teaching Zumba, so I'm worried about the recovery time. But I sure appreciate you all taking time to reply!
Buttpainsucks
Fibre Addict

Postby powderblue » 13 Jul 2014, 20:39

Curious how you are doing as of late, what's your opinion on running now?
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Buttpainsucks » 14 Jul 2014, 15:31

Hey! I've been (knock on wood) feeling a lot better lately. I've made a few changes. First, I've been using coconut oil on TP to wipe instead of moist wipes! The oil is very soothing! Second, I have been eating much healthier. Last month I was in a musical, and every night after performance we would go to the bar and eat fried food and drink, so I'm sure that was irritating the situation. Last, I've been taking two ibuprofen post morning poop. I think that's helped with the spasms. I still have a little blood now and then. In fact last night I went pee and wiped, and discovered blood on my rear, although no pain. So I am curious about that. But I'm feeling loads better. I think the coconut oil has been a good thing.
Buttpainsucks
Fibre Addict

Postby Buttpainsucks » 14 Jul 2014, 15:32

Thanks for asking!
Buttpainsucks
Fibre Addict

Postby Buttpainsucks » 14 Jul 2014, 15:34

Oh, and I've been running my long distances in the afternoon or evening, instead of the morning.
Buttpainsucks
Fibre Addict