>3 years of fissures

my diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: >3 years of fissures

Postby Ulrika » 07 Sep 2014, 16:23

!Hello!

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many replies. Will check more frequently.

It's interesting, I was just thinking, "which lubricant should I use ..." so thank you so much for all the suggestions!!

tinactin seems to be causing no harm so far (at about 5 days). In fact I haven't had an episode since I used it but I realize that could just be coincidental. I also had a cold at the same time, and therefore cut out coffee, so maybe that is the reason ... seems like I sort of have an "episode" and then if I get it under control quickly it does heal. In this case, I could feel the Tinanctin right at the fissure area with sort of a "burn" the first two days. Now I put it on and don't feel anything. I am being super careful with cleaning more, changing my clothes a lot, etc. on the thought that "dry" = "healing."

anyway I am on the "mild" end of the fissure spectrum right now in my fissure saga, luckily, it is mostly under control by eating PEG + nectarines but I am worried about the long-term and don't understand why my skin so easily gets damaged at that spot, even with extremely soft stool.

Yes, Savaici, I got those dilators from that exact company. They would only ship with a script from my doctor, so I had to go in and convince the doctor it was a good idea. I think she honestly had no clue. I am really glad to hear it worked for you. I am thinking to get it under control for at least one more week and then I will start. I do have a very good sense of how much a tight ass I am since I am putting on Tinactin twice a day now! Turns out I am a bit of tight ass :)
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Ulrika » 12 Sep 2014, 23:54

So far still no relapse and still on tinactin. BUT yesterday I decided to try putting on diaper cream (zinc oxide) and I also had coffee and things were VERY tight.
Nonethless things were okay when I went.
I think the coffee is really irritating. However, I am sort of addicted to coffee. So I am trying to get myself to stop drinking it but with very little luck. I really look forward to it in the afternoon. But if I could be 100% obviously that is more important.
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 16 Sep 2014, 06:22

Ulrika... What is tinactin?? Is it a fungal foot cream??

Glad things are going ok for you at the moment!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Ulrika » 16 Sep 2014, 10:49

Hello! It is Tolnaftate USP 1%. It is for athlete's foot ... or jock itch. See here: http://www.boardsailor.com/jack/af/patient_32.htm

I think there are very mixed results with it (I would guess 10% success from what I read). I think it can help in cases where the problem is due to a fungal inhabitant that might cause skin cracking. You might get similar results from keeping things very dry, like putting a piece of paper "back there."

I find a combination of Tinactin + no coffee has helped me a lot. But I am a "minor" case at this point, relatively healed but not back to 100% with occasional set-backs, and not able to handle large/hard stool at all.

-U
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby Ulrika » 16 Sep 2014, 10:50

And thank you so much for your nice wishes :-)
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby Ulrika » 29 Sep 2014, 00:15

Had a major setback, I think my fruit intake dropped somewhat and I had a "large" -- not really, but large for me -- stool and led to a lot of bleeding. Saw my GP. He wonders "why does your skin break so easily?" and gave me a new cream to try. He tells me: "Do not get surgery. Your skin is very fragile. You need to heal this. There is a risk of incontinence with surgery."

So far, with my secret techniques of (1) forcing myself to wait 36 hrs between BMs for one time (to give time to heal) and then (2) upping the PEG & fruit, I am back to a good place again. Using the cream. Hard to say if it is helping or not.

Will keep at it.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!
Ulrika
Fibre Addict

Postby student » 29 Sep 2014, 03:54

drink more water
student
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Ulrika » 25 Jan 2015, 15:18

Hello again, I am sad to be back here but I wanted to provide an update in case it might help anyone. I had a good 4 months. I was using Miralax daily, and I discovered that butternut squash (cooked, obviously) really helped things. Since things were going well, and I was worried about the possible long-term effects of Miralax, I decided to drop the Miralax (from 4 g AM and 4 g PM) to a modest drop of 4g AM + 3 g PM and I had another bad -- i.e. larger, harder -- BM. The BM is definitely nothing compared to what I had in my pre-fissure life but I can tell it is causing spasming again. So back up to 5g AM + 5 g PM until I heal again.

I am a little bit sad about this episode, even though I am optimistic I can heal again soon, because after so many good months, we were thinking about having another baby and I feel like this tells me that I cannot handle even a little bit of change, and it would be hard to get through a whole pregnancy with all the major (and unexpected) changes that can come. Anyway, I hope I will heal up soon, and I hope the butternut squash can help someone here.
Ulrika
Fibre Addict