Switching to psyllium husk?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Switching to psyllium husk?

Postby Newmommy28 » 13 Sep 2014, 11:23

Has anyone on here ever tried switching from Miralax to psyllium husk? I've been taking the Miralax since January and I'd really like to wean myself off of it and start using a more homeopathic method to keep my bm's soft. Anyone else have any pointer's??
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Switching to psyllium husk?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Sep 2014, 16:08

Hi Newmommy,
The psyllium husk is to bulk up the stools in a soft and easy way, and the Miralax to keep those stools soft and easy to pass, so a combination of the two works quite well once you have figured out exactly how much and what quantity works best for you. Personally, I didn't use the psyllium husk because I was incorporating enough fibre into my system through diet alone and I used Lactulose as opposed to Miralax to keep the stools soft. I found once I had found my ideal fibre intake (through diet) and the fissure was less painful and more manageable, that Prunes (and the juice) and a Magnesium supplement has worked wonders for me and I generally, continue to maintain fissure-friendly stools......I'm not too knowledgeable about homeopathic remedies specifically for fissures but I found various for other anal related issues..........GL in figuring out what works..........:)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Apes » 14 Sep 2014, 05:53

Early on I started with Metamucil (psyllium husk, and Miralax) I found that the Metamucil bulked me up to much with a very painful fissure. I switched to Benefiber, Soluible fiber, and kept using the miralax. That worked well for a long time. During this time i had Botox. Recently as the fissure is no longer painful my BMS became to soft and was causing a problem. My diet was exactly the same. I switched back to Metamucil from Benefiber and cut out the miralax. immediately I had formed soft stools. It's been great. Apparently the metamucil has both soluble and insoluble fiber. So I'm not sure why I reacted differently this time with metamucil, I can only guess that the healing of the fissure is allowing the BM to pass easier. Hope this helped.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby mmklinemm » 14 Sep 2014, 10:54

I could never tolerate miralax. It made my BMs way too loose. I relied on magnesium citrate (150mg morning and night) and getting all my fiber from food.Now that my fissure is healing and not as painful, I still take the magnesium citrate and have added 2 metamucil pills at lunch and dinner. My breakfast is really high in insoluble fiber so I don't take any innthe morning. It adds a tiny amount of psyllium, but has totally changed my stool - bulky and formed, but still soft. My healing and pain levels had plateaued for awhile, and I really think the metamucil has been key to getting over the last pain hurdle. Hope this helps!!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Newmommy28 » 22 Sep 2014, 07:23

Thanks for the information!

I tried adding a tbsp psyllium husk to my diet, and cut back the Miralax to 1/2 dose. Tried this for 2 days and noticed the psyllium, although it did soften, seemed to bulken things up more. This made me very nervous, so for right now I'm just going to continue with the Miralax for awhile longer. After a few months I will revisit this.

Thanks again!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19